KS review on Hardcore Gaming 101

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Woody Alien

KS review on Hardcore Gaming 101

Post by Woody Alien »

Ah, HG101. As a geek/retrogamer, that is one of my favourite VG sites ever, always bringing very detailed notions about both popular and obscure series of games. It even has a section about homebrew/doujin games, and a guide to the understanding of the visual novel genre, so it was just a matter of time before they started talking about Katawa Shoujo.

And they did: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/katawa ... shoujo.htm

However, after having browsed through the review, I feel a little underwhelmed. Usually the reviews on the site are extremely in-depth, with many links, pictures, timelines and so on; this one doesn't really explain anything besides the usual common knowledge. Yes, this is a relatively new game, so it hasn't had the impact many other games on the site had... but was it really so difficult to tell something more about Act 1? The reviewer didn't even list all the languages it was translated in!
The character listing also seems a bit superficial and biased, and while the review is not bad, it just feels rushed and incomplete, compared to almost all other examples on the site (and all kinds of minutiae about games for some archaic system nobody cares anymore).

Well, what do you think?
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Bigbishounen

Re: KS review on Hardcore Gaming 101

Post by Bigbishounen »

Not a bad review overall. I definitely got the impression that the reviewer had played through at least Emi's route, possibly Hanako's or Lilly's as well. Clearly he had also gotten the MANLY PICNIC at least once too.

I think it was actually one of the better reviews I have read, in that it really focuses on what makes KS shine, and even gives some of the back-story around the creation of KS. He doesn't harp on the style of the game, nor complain about the fact that it uses sprites and static graphics rather than 3D. He accepts KS for the game style it is, and then goes from there. Very fair and evenhanded approach, and thankfully he doesn't boil it down to some stupid and trite "star" rating or something.

Very nice, and a review I will point people too when they want to know what KS is about.
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Oh yeah, this review. I was rereading the Cho Aniki page for lulz when I found that. It's not bad, though I suppose it should have been more detailed like you said, Woody Alien.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I definitely got the impression that the reviewer had played through at least Emi's route, possibly Hanako's or Lilly's as well.
Well, since he has the 100% Completion CG on the page, I guess he completed all of them^^
Anyway, I thought the review was quite in-depth - more than I expected it to be in fact.
The English is a bit awkward in a few places, but there are no major factual mistakes. I like it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Nice review. Let's hope it'll get the game a few additional fans.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Nice in-depth review.
Although I think it shouldn't be in 'Hardcore Gaming 101'.

It should be in 'FEELS Gaming 101'. KS doesn't fall in the Hardcore category, but the FEELS. :lol:
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
CrimsonMoonMist

Post by CrimsonMoonMist »

It's a nice little review that manages to show what kind of story this is without resorting to personal opinions or spoilers,
though a bit lacking compared to most of their articles. Regardless, this is sure to attract more positive attention.
Sad that they didn't touch on the amazing soundtrack or the animated intros (the latter would probably attract a lot more attention by itself),
but it's got the story down, and that's the most important thing.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

I don't know guys, I think that this review (found by chance while looking for Misha) written by a college student is much better than the HG101 one:
http://eroderekko.wordpress.com/2012/01 ... jo-review/
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

This has lead to all kinds of assumptions that the game would be a perverted mess, or loaded with unfitting internet memes, or possibly even being offensive for the sake of being offensive. I am happy to state that none of this is the case,
brb loling forever.
Ahahaha.
You know what, this one is the most positive review I've seen of this game, which is good, others just insult the game at the most.
"Don't die!"
~Anonymous
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Funny thing is, we college student often give better reviews than what 'official' or 'professional' reviewers does.

maybe it's because we're not entitled to the 'green' and does it by our own interest.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story