Yume Miru Kusuri

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Joeshmoelb

Yume Miru Kusuri

Post by Joeshmoelb »

At first I was really happy this was recommended somewhere on this site, as being similar to katawa shoujo. All of the characters and routes where really enjoyable, but when Mizuki's route finished(I also got to this route last) I don't even know what to do with myself. All the other endings had some sad parts, and some fairly extreme emotions, but this one just leaves me at a loss for words. With Katawa Shoujo I could easily express exactly why I felt depressed, and how it was the game brought out those emotions in me, but with that ending I just feel so lost.
lml99

Re: Yume Miru Kusuri

Post by lml99 »

Mizuki? Who's that? And what does the thread name mean?
formerly athankfulanon
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

lml99 wrote:Mizuki? Who's that? And what does the thread name mean?
It's a different VN, one that did inspire Katawa Shoujo to some extent. I personally consider KS better, but it's a bit hard to compare them. They seem similar on the outside, but they are so different in tone and execution. Yume Miru Kusuri is good and recommendable if a bit heavy on the melodrama. Try not to think too hard about any plot holes, and you'll enjoy it.
Joeshmoelb

Post by Joeshmoelb »

encrypted12345 wrote:
It's a different VN, one that did inspire Katawa Shoujo to some extent. I personally consider KS better, but it's a bit hard to compare them. They seem similar on the outside, but they are so different in tone and execution. Yume Miru Kusuri is good and recommendable if a bit heavy on the melodrama. Try not to think too hard about any plot holes, and you'll enjoy it.
Ah, I think that's exactly what my problem is, I really really enjoyed it. But the ending to that characters good route was still bad, and in such an extreme way. I just can't seem to sort it out.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Joeshmoelb wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
Ah, I think that's exactly what my problem is, I really really enjoyed it. But the ending to that characters good route was still bad, and in such an extreme way. I just can't seem to sort it out.
Hmm... If I had to explain it, I guess Yume Miru Kusuri's method of evoking emotion is more ... forced, I guess? Perhaps escapist is the right word. Katawa Shoujo evoked emotion in a way that you could identify why if you introspected yourself a little bit. It was more subtle, and I can honestly believe why the KS devs were shocked so many people cried because of it.

In short, YMK was more deliberate and had the clear intention of making you suffer. Katawa Shoujo merely wanted to tell a story that just so happened to be moving. ... Well, I guess that's just my take on it.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Joeshmoelb wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
Hmm... If I had to explain it, I guess Yume Miru Kusuri's method of evoking emotion is more ... forced, I guess? Perhaps escapist is the right word. Katawa Shoujo evoked emotion in a way that you could identify why if you introspected yourself a little bit. It was more subtle, and I can honestly believe why the KS devs were shocked so many people cried because of it.

In short, YMK was more deliberate and had the clear intention of making you suffer. Katawa Shoujo merely wanted to tell a story that just so happened to be moving. ... Well, I guess that's just my take on it.
The way Katawa Shoujo induced "the feels" was a lot better than how YMK did it. I have only finished two routes in it so far (Aeka is the one I have left to do) but I haven't really felt that emotional during YMK so far (although I will admit I shed one or two manly tears at Nekoko's good ending, although that was because of the "Taking Hand in Hand" BGM) and so it isn't making a huge impression on me so far. I will agree with YMK wanting to make you suffer, since their bad endings are a lot more "everything turned out for the worst for everybody and clearly this will have some major effect on their lives, if they haven't died". I love the comedy in the game though, although it is a different kind than in KS.

Oh, and I may as well add that I didn't have any emotional attachment in Mizuki's route, whereas in all of the KS routes I had at least some.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Heh, Aeka's is probably the route where they go all out in cruelty in order for the reader to get the "sad feels". Though admittedly it sometimes comes off as a little forced. But it's still a good read.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

The problem is we are trying to be objective about YMK on a KS fourm so of course every one is gonna so YMK is not as good as KS on here ... i'll be honest i found both Lilly's and Rin's arcs (KS) and Mizuki's arc ( YMK ) boring as fuck ... well Shizune's and Emi's arcs ( KS ) and Aeka's arc (YMK) well writing , sad and yes even a little over the top in most .... i never played the third arc in YMK yet and Hanako even though the story is slow i cant help but love because of the writing ( at first i wanted to hate hanako's arc) so thats my honest opinion on both games ... one is not really better then the other its just what your taste is
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

rydiafan wrote: one is not really better then the other its just what your taste is
Yeah, it really is a question about taste. Like I said, they are a bit hard to compare.
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

'Yume Miru Kusuri'
Yume - Dream
Miru - to see
Kusuri - medicine/drug

rough translation: Drugs that make you see dreams
Perfected translation: Dream Inducing Drug

...I smell pot-heads as characters

...the hell is Mizuki anyway?

EDIT:
Of course, do not mistake Yume as Yumei which means 'famous'.

And thus the translation would be: Drugs that make you see famous
...sounds weird, no?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Megumeru wrote:
'Yume Miru Kusuri' - Dream Inducing Drug

The student council bitch in that Visual Novel. ... Shizune isn't half as bitchy as her from what I remember.

Oh, and if you play the game, don't go and try to analyze her please. There's not too much to analyze.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
'Yume Miru Kusuri' - Dream Inducing Drug

The student council bitch in that Visual Novel. ... Shizune isn't half as bitchy as her from what I remember.

Oh, and if you play the game, don't go and try to analyze her please. There's not too much to analyze.
Wiki-ed it. Artwork strikes me too much as a 'fappable eroge' rather than 'story centric' as I categorized KS as, so I might not touch it. We'll see.

Wiki-ed the character too, and--honestly--it does make me want to analyze the crap out of the characters; not just her, but all three of them. Depression...interesting...why?

There are two types of 'Student Council Bitch':
-One who does so in order to gain the acceptance/approval of someone he/she deemed important in their life (e.g. Shizune <-> Jigoro)
-One who does so just for the pleasure of it/amusement.

I wonder where this 'Mizuki' fell into...
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Megumeru wrote: Wiki-ed it. Artwork strikes me too much as a 'fappable eroge' rather than 'story centric' as I categorized KS as, so I might not touch it. We'll see.

Wiki-ed the character too, and--honestly--it does make me want to analyze the crap out of the characters; not just her, but all three of them. Depression...interesting...why?

-One who does so in order to gain the acceptance/approval of someone he/she deemed important in their life (e.g. Shizune <-> Jigoro)

It's undeniably story based even if it has a few more H-scenes than usual. I honestly didn't care much for them since I prefer my H-scenes to be relevant to the plot and characterization and not absurd. Well, it was more justified than in most other eroge because the girls were clearly unstable and the guy is the type to just coast in life.

Even before you take her route, it becomes quite obvious that Mizuki's bitchiness is all self-amusement. :lol:
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

encrypted12345 wrote:
Megumeru wrote: Wiki-ed it. Artwork strikes me too much as a 'fappable eroge' rather than 'story centric' as I categorized KS as, so I might not touch it. We'll see.

It's undeniably story based even if it has a few more H-scenes than usual. I honestly didn't care much for them since I prefer my H-scenes to be relevant to the plot and characterization and not absurd. Well, it was more justified than in most other eroge because the girls were clearly unstable and the guy is the type to just coast in life.

Even before you take her route, it becomes quite obvious that Mizuki's bitchiness is all self-amusement. :lol:
Mizuki's path just seems like filler for the other 2 path ...an Aya or " Antoinette " path would have been more interesting
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

I'll just leave this here: