Why is Hisao so disliked?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: Why is Hisao so disliked?

Post by metalangel »

He's dense, thoughtless, whiny and self-centred, and yet had his pick of girls. It's kind of hard to sympathise watching an undeserving ass getting all the breaks.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

The O.H.L. wrote:I feel like this thread was created in response to what I said in another one.
Well I was gonna create this a while ago, but your post reminded me about it. The amount of people that say shit like "HISAO = RETARD BECAUSE HE MAKES MISTAKE" is just ridiculous and so I was just curious 'n' all.

Judging by the responses in the thread it looks like the consensus is that Hisao was young and stupid. Still I don't see any reason that people should hate on him because of it. Like someone said earlier, the majority of us would do the same mistakes that Hisao did, if not similar, (except for Shizune's bad ending, probably) if we were in his position and at his age.

Also someone said that Hisao has no redeeming features, but both Lilly and Emi (and I suppose Rin) said that Hisao was a kind person. I'd certainly call that a good feature about him. Also he can be pretty funny sometimes, or at least I thought so...

Hisao is a cool guy.
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Judging by the responses in the thread it looks like the consensus is that Hisao was young and stupid. Still I don't see any reason that people should hate on him because of it. Like someone said earlier, the majority of us would do the same mistakes that Hisao did, if not similar, (except for Shizune's bad ending, probably) if we were in his position and at his age.
I could argue on a lot of points here, but i'll just say that this is a mistake in itself; overly realistic behavior from fictional characters is dull.
Also someone said that Hisao has no redeeming features, but both Lilly and Emi (and I suppose Rin) said that Hisao was a kind person. I'd certainly call that a good feature about him.
He's only as kind as most of us would be in his place; there's nothing outstanding about him.
Last edited by Roy-Kr on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hamachi ID: Melty Blood EU
Password: sugoisugoi
crystal

Post by crystal »

I don't know what everyone is complaining about, there are far worse leads than Hisao.
Lilly path > Hanako path >>>> Shizune path > Emi path > Rin path.

My most heart wrenching moment...Misha getting a haircut.
The O.H.L.

Post by The O.H.L. »

Snow_Storm wrote:
The O.H.L. wrote:I feel like this thread was created in response to what I said in another one.
I don't hate him, I just feel like he is a little slow, and has trouble controlling his emotions in some places or controls them to the point where he bursts.

Also I despise his to have sex with Hanako, even though it was consensual it just didn't feel right (I get that that is the point), and I wouldn't have done that to her when she was clearly not ready, and this is coming from a horny 15 year old.

He just seems like someone that I couldn't ever become friends with, not someone that I would hate considering he is extremely tolerant of Kenji.
Hang on, you hate a fictional character for banging another fictional character (who actually did wanted to have sex with Hisao because she didn't want him to treat her like a broken woman but that's another story)? Also implying if she was real, she would have sex with you.
I think that people should just drop the whole fictional characters thing, because people discuss movies and books as if they were in the characters position, which is what I was trying to imply. Btw I bet this sounds like I'm angry or snippy, but I just find your statement funny. But what I meant is even though the sex did good, it wasn't good emotionally and physically, and Hisao was kind of retarded for not noticing the obvious. I was actually shouting at the computer "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING YOU THICKHEADED PIECE OF SHIT" (if you can't tell Hanako is my favorite character hence the anger). He could have confessed to her, or actually paid attention to the signs she was giving him. But nooooooo they all have to fuck at some point. But I think it was a pretty good plot device.
Guess who's back, back, back, back again.
Not that I ever made any great contributions, but oh well, too bad.
Fluffboll

Post by Fluffboll »

crystal wrote:I don't know what everyone is complaining about, there are far worse leads than Hisao.
Just because there are worse leads doesn't make Hisao a good lead.

I don't have that much trouble with him aside from the fact that he is unbelievably dense and in all of the bad ends I've seen he acts like a retarded idiot.
Alexbond45

Post by Alexbond45 »

So basically, we all want to say this

(Couldnt resist)
B.Deese wrote:There are two types of people, those who are ignorant, and those who are stupid, ignorant people do it wrong and don't know it's wrong, stupid people do it wrong and know it's wrong. Don't be Stupid!
Marching Band starts back up soon. HOO-AH!
MY CODE:
1-Every Day is a New Day! 2-Never Give Up 3-Never stop being Positive 4-Marching Band FTW! 5-Be Nice to everyone.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Roy-Kr wrote:Hisao is an ass with no crowning moments; that's about it.
Things like selfishness and Irrationally taking your anger out on others, etc. are all fine, but they need something GOOD to balance it, and Hisao lacks this.
I can't agree with that at all. Hisao may have been a bit dense at times, but his heart was usually in the right place. He wanted to help people with their problems, and considering some of the things he put up with, the guy practically had the patience of a saint. It's not easy to make friends with somebody that shuns all human contact, or a person you can't even talk to without having to learn a new language. If you don't consider those to be good qualities, then I just don't know what to tell you.

There were many times the various girls kept pushing him away, and he keep bouncing right back.
Not Dead Yet
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Oddball wrote:
Roy-Kr wrote:Hisao is an ass with no crowning moments; that's about it.
Things like selfishness and Irrationally taking your anger out on others, etc. are all fine, but they need something GOOD to balance it, and Hisao lacks this.
I can't agree with that at all. Hisao may have been a bit dense at times, but his heart was usually in the right place. He wanted to help people with their problems, and considering some of the things he put up with, the guy practically had the patience of a saint. It's not easy to make friends with somebody that shuns all human contact, or a person you can't even talk to without having to learn a new language. If you don't consider those to be good qualities, then I just don't know what to tell you.

There were many times the various girls kept pushing him away, and he keep bouncing right back.
More or less what I believe. He was an dense idiot at times, but he had the determination to make up for it. If you look closely, you can see that determination in all the paths. He's not a badass, but he's a respectable person, and I had no qualms with how he develops a relationship with a girl and obtains a happy ending.

While he's not the best protagonist in the world, his relationship with whatever girl he picks is always justified. Hisao displays one of the most important aspects of maintaining a loving relationship (at least in the good ends) and that is determination.

As for the retarded idiot in the bad ends fact, don't many break-ups occur because of mistakes that could have been easily avoided?
Fretless

Post by Fretless »

Hisao is a pretty decent protagonist in my opinion. Sure, he makes some dumb decisions (particularly in bad ending routes), but don't we all? But he's a nice guy. As for his lapses of judgement, I put most of them down to a gradual loss of social skills, due to the events of the game's prologue, that he eventually overcomes in the good endings. Most of the time when I see Hisao getting hated on, it's because people have convinced themselves that he's a rapist or something. A line of thinking which I never understood.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Snow_Storm wrote:
Nekken wrote:
Snow_Storm wrote:Also, let's be honest here: Half to nearly 3/4 of you guys here would act like Hisao with girls at age 17 or 18, don't lie.
Only 50-75? Try nearly 100%. Under-18s hate Hisao because they think they could have done so much better, while over-18s hate Hisao because he reminds us that no, actually, we couldn't have.
For the over 18s - He remind you of what you couldn't have? He remind you of unrealstic goals and ideas you had, in the past? So what? Live for the future, the past is gone. Unless you're a creeper, extreme socially awkward, or forever alone and have no social skills, you can get a girl regardless.
I apologize. My wording was unclear. What I meant to say is that under-18s hate Hisao because they think they're smarter than he is, while over-18s hate Hisao because he reminds us that no, at that age we weren't smarter than he is.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

Fretless wrote:Most of the time when I see Hisao getting hated on, it's because people have convinced themselves that he's a rapist or something. A line of thinking which I never understood.
I'd probably have liked him more if he had just raped Rin instead of putting up with her.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Roy-Kr wrote:I'd probably have liked him more if he had just raped Rin instead of putting up with her.
From a certain perspective, you could say he did, actually. You could argue that during Delirium, Rin was in an altered state of mind, and thus unable to properly give consent for sex. It would basically be the same situation as having sex with someone who is drunk, which as far as I know, is legally considered rape, even if they consent.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

Meh, bullshit. Even if it was considered rape, it's far too anti-climatic.
It'd have been better if he had raped her while going bananas over her refusing his confession.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Roy-Kr wrote:Meh, bullshit. Even if it was considered rape, it's far too anti-climatic.
It'd have been better if he had raped her while going bananas over her refusing his confession.
I can't really tell if you're trying to be humorously hyperbolic, trolling, or just insane. =/
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune