??? regarding Hanako being an orphan

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

eternalFIEND

??? regarding Hanako being an orphan

Post by eternalFIEND »

OK, so both her parents were killed in a deadly fire but dies she not have any aunts or uncles? randmas and grandpas?
encrypted12345

Re: ??? regarding Hanako being an orphan

Post by encrypted12345 »

eternalFIEND wrote:OK, so both her parents were killed in a deadly fire but dies she not have any aunts or uncles? randmas and grandpas?
Who knows? Maybe her parents ran away from home and were disowned by Hanako's extended family. The world will never know.
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

eternalFIEND wrote:OK, so both her parents were killed in a deadly fire but dies she not have any aunts or uncles? grandmas and grandpas?

It's not really covered, but I think it's safe to infer that since she was a ward of the state and placed in an orphanage that she either had no living relatives, The only living relatives were so distant (8th cousins, etc.) that they were impossible to contact or consider, or for reasons unexplained her family had actively rejected her.

That last one is not all that uncommon in traditional Japanese households. It still happens enough that it's actually used occasionally in Anime. (Ai Yori Aoshi is one example that springs to mind where the protagonist chose exile from the family rather than endure continued abuse at his grandfather's hands.)

At any rate it isn't gone into, likely the writers simply didn't have the time/space to go into it. Regardless it's not really necessary to drive the story forward anyway. We know she's an orphan because of the fire. That's enough.
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Suddenly the devs drop by and say:

"dude, Lilly IS Hanako's mother."

or

"Hisao is Hanako's brother/cousin."

WHAT A TWIST!
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

eternalFIEND wrote:OK, so both her parents were killed in a deadly fire but dies she not have any aunts or uncles? randmas and grandpas?
In that case what are all those children doing in orphanages of any kind (like foster care houses)?
Her relatives might have not been willing, or qualifying for taking care of her, or not existing/not possible to find.

I consider it an homage for Ampu-chan's story.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Hanako lived with Hisao and Mutou on a hut near a craggy beach. But they forgot about it when they started using limit breaks...
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

hey don't mention it, but the fire happened during a family reunion. The whole family, just gone like that.
Not Dead Yet
EclipsiumRasa

Post by EclipsiumRasa »

Well, regarding the no aunts/uncles bit, only child families really aren't that rare. The idea of 2 of them marrying and having a kid? I'm sure it happens and its so entirely mundane it never strikes anyone as that odd.

Could simply be that the family were feuding at the same level as the families of other characters in the game and that there was no way an adoption was going to happen. Or, if the fire was arson it could have been part of a series of attacks on Hanako's family (the prison for killing 4+ people would probably not that much more than killing 3), but I don't enjoy speculating. Without canon on who her parents were and what they were like I just assume that after the fire Hanako was either entirely alone, then rejection followed (from prospective foster parents), or that she was rejected by any distant relations and then she was alone.
- Eclair Raas
⚫ Consider yourself invited to the Katawa Shoujo Fitocracy group.
⚪ I tweet on occasion and sometimes blog on stuff related to KS.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

If this game took place during World War II, I could easily say Hanako's entire family was wiped out during the war but since this take place sometime in the late 2000s and Hanako's mom and dad got killed in the fire during the 90s, I can't use that theory.

So, here's what I think can follow:

>Her parents were the only children in their family and her grandparents are dead, thus making her a ward of the state after the death of her folks.
>Whatever aunts/uncles she has either are unfit to raise her or hates her, so they won't take her in
>4LS don't give a fuck, which is a 100% true theory that can't be debunk by no means.
>Hanako does not exist actually and is just a fragment of imagation made up in Lilly's mind.

Since, we're on the subject how ya think her parents died in the fire? The actual fire itself or smoke inhalation?
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Snow_Storm wrote:4LS don't give a fuck, which is a 100% true theory that can't be debunk by no means.
I can't even roughly estimate the massive amount of fucks given by those extraordinary people, daily for the last five years or so, without any kind of payment. Your argument is invalid. :)
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Hanako's mother and Hanako's father were both only children. So that immediately leaves out the possibility of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. Hanako's father abandoned his job at his father's company, a position preparing him for company leadership that he never wanted, and eloped with Hanako's mother. For this, Hanako's father's parents disowned him and broke off contact. The two actually lived with Hanako's mother's parents for a time while they tried to work out a life together. A few years after they moved out - while Hanako's mother was pregnant with Hanako, in fact - Hanako's grandmother on her mother's side died of breast cancer. Hanako's grandfather on her mother's side turned to alcohol to deal with the grief and gradually became a shadow of his former self, bitter and spiteful. When Hanako was born, he interfered with her upraising, constantly insulting and berating her parents for not doing a good enough job, circumventing their rules, etc.

However, he was hypocritically irresponsible whenever asked to take care of Hanako by himself. On one occasion when Hanako was 3 years old, he left her by herself in his house as he went to buy more alcohol, and forgot to close the door properly. Hanako wandered out into the street and was grazed by a passing car. She was hurt badly enough to need medical attention, but not enough to cause permanent damage. The driver of the car called emergency medical services, who contacted her parents. By the time Hanako's grandfather got back home, his daughter, her husband, and an ambulance were already there, tending to the injured Hanako. On top of this, he had been drinking in his car on the way home, so he was already somewhat drunk. Hanako's parents were outraged by this lack of responsibility, and harsh words were exchanged between Hanako's mother and grandfather. By the end of this conversation, Hanako's mother had forbidden Hanako's grandfather from taking care of Hanako by himself anymore. He took this ultimatum very poorly, and it affected his ever-worsening mood even more profoundly, which caused Hanako's parents to actively avoid going to see him. He interpreted this as further rejection, and ultimately saw himself as a failure of a parent. Thus, several months later, he committed suicide.

So, when Hanako's parents died in the house fire, her grandparents on her mother's side were already dead. Her grandparents on her father's side were contacted about taking care of her. They did consider it, but in the end decided they were too estranged from their deceased son. They did, however, use some business connections to ensure that Hanako was placed in a high quality orphanage with a caring staff.

So yeah, that's what happened. This was all covered in cpl_crud's original script for Hanako's route, but was cut when he decided to step down from a lead author role. Now you know.

Not really, I completely made it up.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Mirrormn wrote:Hanako's mother and Hanako's father were both only children. So that immediately leaves out the possibility of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. Hanako's father abandoned his job at his father's company, a position preparing him for company leadership that he never wanted, and eloped with Hanako's mother. For this, Hanako's father's parents disowned him and broke off contact. The two actually lived with Hanako's mother's parents for a time while they tried to work out a life together. A few years after they moved out - while Hanako's mother was pregnant with Hanako, in fact - Hanako's grandmother on her mother's side died of breast cancer. Hanako's grandfather on her mother's side turned to alcohol to deal with the grief and gradually became a shadow of his former self, bitter and spiteful. When Hanako was born, he interfered with her upraising, constantly insulting and berating her parents for not doing a good enough job, circumventing their rules, etc.

However, he was hypocritically irresponsible whenever asked to take care of Hanako by himself. On one occasion when Hanako was 3 years old, he left her by herself in his house as he went to buy more alcohol, and forgot to close the door properly. Hanako wandered out into the street and was grazed by a passing car. She was hurt badly enough to need medical attention, but not enough to cause permanent damage. The driver of the car called emergency medical services, who contacted her parents. By the time Hanako's grandfather got back home, his daughter, her husband, and an ambulance were already there, tending to the injured Hanako. On top of this, he had been drinking in his car on the way home, so he was already somewhat drunk. Hanako's parents were outraged by this lack of responsibility, and harsh words were exchanged between Hanako's mother and grandfather. By the end of this conversation, Hanako's mother had forbidden Hanako's grandfather from taking care of Hanako by himself anymore. He took this ultimatum very poorly, and it affected his ever-worsening mood even more profoundly, which caused Hanako's parents to actively avoid going to see him. He interpreted this as further rejection, and ultimately saw himself as a failure of a parent. Thus, several months later, he committed suicide.

So, when Hanako's parents died in the house fire, her grandparents on her mother's side were already dead. Her grandparents on her father's side were contacted about taking care of her. They did consider it, but in the end decided they were too estranged from their deceased son. They did, however, use some business connections to ensure that Hanako was placed in a high quality orphanage with a caring staff.
At first, I was like "Holy shit, is this canon?"

So yeah, that's what happened. This was all covered in cpl_crud's original script for Hanako's route, but was cut when he decided to step down from a lead author role. Now you know.

Then I was like, "Oh okay. This does something sound that cpl_curd would write since Hanako's route was originally gonna be super dark and grim but I'm like "Why he would step down from a lead author role if he's a producer and the only writer for Hanako?"
Not really, I completely made it up.
[/quote]

Finally, I'm like, "Oh, you're pulling our leg."

I'm still sticking with my "Hanako is a fragment of Lilly's imagination." theory.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Snow_Storm wrote:Then I was like, "Oh okay. This does something sound that cpl_curd would write since Hanako's route was originally gonna be super dark and grim but I'm like "Why he would step down from a lead author role if he's a producer and the only writer for Hanako?"
Actually, that part is true, as far as I know. It's discussed near the middle of this dev blog post:
Aura wrote:Crud had to quit his active developer role in the project in September. We did have a complete Hanako script (though it was later rewritten almost completely), and Suriko took up the various producer duties, but it was still unfortunate and put work on Hanako's route on backburner for a long time.

Nekken

Post by Nekken »

IIRC, the devs did say at one point that Hanako isn't poor. That has implications for this question, because it means that since she doesn't have a family, she must have some kind of income. Jobs don't sound likely: she's too young for full-time work, and mentally she's not in much condition to hold a job down anyway. I'm just going to head off the inevitable enjo-kousai jokes right now: that possibility is even less likely, not just for the obvious reasons but also because the town doesn't seem to actually provide much of a market for that sort of thing. The most likely possibility is her parents' estate, but then who is acting as executor, and why did they choose this route for her care? Distant relatives are another possibility: Mirrormn's story, while completely made-up, is a plausible situation.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Nekken wrote:Distant relatives are another possibility: Mirrormn's story, while completely made-up, is a plausible situation.
Wahahaha!~ I win at fabrication! (unintentionally)