UK edition of PC Gamer

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

encrypted12345

UK edition of PC Gamer

Post by encrypted12345 »

Gotten from the Twitter.

Huh, someone mailed to the UK edition of PC gamer about Katawa Shoujo. PC Gamer had guts to accept it and to actually praise it.

Water Closet. :lol: :lol:

Don't google that. Just don't.
Nobody in Particular

Re: UK edition of PC Gamer

Post by Nobody in Particular »

I Googled Water Closet and then found a link with some pictures: http://thejot.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/ ... n-chamber/

I can't stop laughing at them.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

encrypted12345 wrote:Gotten from the Twitter.

Huh, someone mailed to the UK edition of PC gamer about Katawa Shoujo. PC Gamer had guts to accept it and to actually praise it.

Water Closet. :lol: :lol:

Don't google that. Just don't.
My fate in humanity has been restored.

But what the hell's Water Closet?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Paddy
Location: In wheat fields, which must be placed on the valley floor.

Post by Paddy »

A water closet is the British/German/European equivalent of a toilet.

However, I get the feeling you meant "Water Closet: The Forbidden Chamber". (Sounds like a Harry Potter parody.)

MY EYES. :shock:

But what did the letter say in PC Gamer?
I'm weary of the railway,
Poor Paddy works on the railway.

Блажен муж, иже не иде на совет нечестивых.
Blessed is the man, who walks not in the counsel of the wicked. (Psalm 1:1)
Got questions about God, Christianity, or the Catholic Church?
alien.marksman

Post by alien.marksman »

Paddy wrote:But what did the letter say in PC Gamer?
Here you go..
Link:
For Queen and Country
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Ayo, is that Water Closet game a troll? It has to be.

glad to see this game gettin' soem mainstream appeal.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

I always get a little peeved when people say that a lack of interactivity in a visual novel is a detraction, because it's a completely different medium/genre of gaming and needs to be evaluated on its own level. It's like saying that Super Mario World's lack of 3D polygon graphics detracts from the game. Although I'll forgive that for now because I'm just happy to see Katawa Shoujo get more publicity.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Interesting. Notable PC Gamer alumnus John Walker absolutely hated KS when he played it on RockPaperShotgun.
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Weird sexual game oh boy...
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

Daitengu

Post by Daitengu »

Funny how mainstream reviews all seem to think the sex is some type of reward instead of the plot device it's used as. Never cared to think about 'why' so they end up with really shallow opinions.
Palodin

Post by Palodin »

metalangel wrote:Interesting. Notable PC Gamer alumnus John Walker absolutely hated KS when he played it on RockPaperShotgun.
RPS is weird around VNs, at best. They sang the praises oh "Don't take it personally, babe" which I found to be pretty mediocre (Pisspoor art, very forced message at the end). Great site otherwise but they should probably stay away from this genre.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Daitengu wrote:Funny how mainstream reviews all seem to think the sex is some type of reward instead of the plot device it's used as. Never cared to think about 'why' so they end up with really shallow opinions.
I don't think I've read a mainstream review of KS so far where I got the impression that the reviewer had finished even a single route, let alone all five. It seems like they must load up the game, play through Act 1, and then fabricate their opinions on the rest of the game based on pure conjecture.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Palodin wrote:
metalangel wrote:Interesting. Notable PC Gamer alumnus John Walker absolutely hated KS when he played it on RockPaperShotgun.
RPS is weird around VNs, at best. They sang the praises oh "Don't take it personally, babe" which I found to be pretty mediocre (Pisspoor art, very forced message at the end). Great site otherwise but they should probably stay away from this genre.
Christine Love, huh? I guess that she's a decent and somewhat unorthodox VN creator, but I can't actually call her her good. Digital and Analogue were decent, but I don't know why some people praise them over this. Can't they appreciate something beautifully mundane and with a slice-of-life writing style?
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

encrypted12345 wrote:Christine Love, huh? I guess that she's a decent and somewhat unorthodox VN creator, but I can't actually call her her good. Digital and Analogue were decent, but I don't know why some people praise them over this. Can't they appreciate something beautifully mundane and with a slice-of-life writing style?
Digital was okay, but I played through it once, deleted it, and had no desire to replay it.

Haven't played Analog, but I hear it's more of the same re: what annoyed me about Digital: namely, the interface.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

themocaw wrote:Digital was okay, but I played through it once, deleted it, and had no desire to replay it.

Haven't played Analog, but I hear it's more of the same re: what annoyed me about Digital: namely, the interface.
Yeah, basically. I guess that the purpose of the interface was that you would get more invested in the game than you would normally, but that's just so manipulative. It's a bit of a dirty trick, and speaking as a bookworm, I don't think that that type of thing should be praised.

Sure, you can argue that images and sprites that a visual novel uses manipulates the viewer as well, but it's much more subtle.