Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

zeroyuki92

Re: Ask!

Post by zeroyuki92 »

Now, two months after the release date, what are you guys doin'? Since I took a visit to your blog almost daily and saw no more blog post up till now, I decided to ask directly... I wonder if you guys already miss the feeling of developing a game? I know that there will be an announcement if one/some of you decide to do something else related to VN/game/story, so I won't ask about that and just sit patiently.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

zeroyuki92 wrote:Now, two months after the release date, what are you guys doin'? Since I took a visit to your blog almost daily and saw no more blog post up till now, I decided to ask directly... I wonder if you guys already miss the feeling of developing a game? I know that there will be an announcement if one/some of you decide to do something else related to VN/game/story, so I won't ask about that and just sit patiently.

Amongst all of the other things that I am doing (life and work etc), I am trying to find some time to tie off the loose ends that I have started in my "fan works" (if you will).

After that I am thinking about writing a text book. I'll be trying to offset that with fiction to prevent me from competely losing my mind, but I will definately be blogging a little harder from now on...
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Silentcook wrote:There are several translation projects in the works; the first re-release with an added language will also have a correction of all the mistakes that we got alerted to in the feedback section of the forums (as long as they are actual mistakes, that is).

(Also holy crap, 100 pages)
Will there be any patches for those who already downloaded the 1st release in January? Or do we have to re-download the whole game again to get the new translations and error corrections?
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

I noticed an apparent inconsistency in the FAQ:
Q: I saw this game for sale. Are you selling this now?
A: No. Four Leaf Studios is not charging for Katawa Shoujo, and never will. If you see anyone selling Katawa Shoujo, charging for "official" merchandise, or using game assets in their for-sale items, please report them. Selling fanworks that do not use official content (including the KS logo) and do not pretend to be official is okay.
2. You may not use Katawa Shoujo for any commercial purposes, including making money out of distributing the game or any fanworks.
Can you please clarify this for me? Personally, I hope the first quote is the more accurate, because that's how the ever popular doujin industry exists in Japan.

Also, would it be fine if I were to print official KS artwork, let's say a drawing from Weee for example, and use it as a poster in my room? Would it be permissible to use official artwork for promotion of other things, like in a banner advertising a college's video game club?
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Tachikoma

Post by Tachikoma »

Check the PDF doc in the game's directory. It has the full CC license details. In a nutshell, you are not allowed to financially profit from the game's content in any way.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Tempester wrote:I noticed an apparent inconsistency in the FAQ:
Q: I saw this game for sale. Are you selling this now?
A: No. Four Leaf Studios is not charging for Katawa Shoujo, and never will. If you see anyone selling Katawa Shoujo, charging for "official" merchandise, or using game assets in their for-sale items, please report them. Selling fanworks that do not use official content (including the KS logo) and do not pretend to be official is okay.
2. You may not use Katawa Shoujo for any commercial purposes, including making money out of distributing the game or any fanworks.
Can you please clarify this for me? Personally, I hope the first quote is the more accurate, because that's how the ever popular doujin industry exists in Japan.

Also, would it be fine if I were to print official KS artwork, let's say a drawing from Weee for example, and use it as a poster in my room? Would it be permissible to use official artwork for promotion of other things, like in a banner advertising a college's video game club?
We waive the official license at any time, at our own discretion, to any extent. The first quote's use is fine and is an example of this. You're fine to make stuff for your own personal use, as well. The latter thing though... eh, we couldn't stop you (we're not going to mobilise an army of lawyers to swoop down), but we wouldn't be too hot on it; fanart would be fine (and up to the permission of the individual artist that made it), but official artwork, not really.
kahafb

Post by kahafb »

Is there any reason you think people seem to like Shizune's path less than others? Is it just me thinking that?

Also, will there ever be patches to Katawa Shoujo since its version 1.0.0, unless I missed them and am really stupid :oops:
Oh, this reminds me of a puzzle!

Rin=Lilly=Hanako>Emi>Every other character>Kenji>Shizune

Dislike Shizune a lot.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

kahafb wrote:Is there any reason you think people seem to like Shizune's path less than others? Is it just me thinking that?

Also, will there ever be patches to Katawa Shoujo since its version 1.0.0, unless I missed them and am really stupid :oops:
Shizune was, probably, the most popular path when the demo released. People's expectations were so high, it was impossible that we'd ever be able to meet them. The path did not play out as many of the players expected it to, and thus, a backlash.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Winter Artbook when?

Post by 8823 »

For cpl_crud:
Which part of the story you(cpl_crud) wrote? (or who)
I love the "A Runner’s Afternoon" (Considered as Act 5 or sequel to Hanako route) !! It's so beautiful !!
Hope that this scene can be implemented into the new game version. :D
Your writing skill is great!

One more question..
Do you consider doing Act 5 or maybe a small sequel animation for all of the characters? (1 year later?)
It would be a perfect ending for the game.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

The FAQ wrote:Q: Will there be a fandisc, sequel, or prequel to Katawa Shoujo?
A: No. There will be no other work in any way related to Katawa Shoujo.
There is not going to be a sequel or an act 5 for any of the paths.
The only new stuff subsequent versions of KS will contain are additional languages and fixed typos. (see SC's post at the top of this page.)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
gebyy-terar

Post by gebyy-terar »

McBaggin wrote:If the KS devs were in the game , which one would be the hardest to romance?
Moekki
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Been a LONG time since I last posted.

Anyway, this question is 100% hypothetical at this point as I don't have video capture/editing software or a computer mic, but say someone was to create a video Let's Play of KS, and they wanted to have people they know do character voices for it... would that be okay?

I know you have no intention or desire to have official voice acting (and it'd be FAR too late to implement it even if you did...), and the videos would make that point clear, probably to the point of a straight-up disclaimer at the beginning and quoting the relevant sections of the F.A.Q. in the description.

While I have no ability to do that now, it's definitely something I'd consider doing should I ever bother to get the equipment necessary... and if you guys approve, of course.

Also, should you folks decide to allow for unofficial translations, what would your opinion be on more odd and esoteric versions? Like, say... Middle English? It might just be because I'm a weirdo, but I kinda want to get full-on Shakespeare on this. Well, maybe not full-on... iambic pentameter is a bitch and a half...

I'm mostly joking with that second question, by the way.

Absolutely love the full version, by the way. I'm at 99% completion. I've gotten all 13 endings, so I just need to find that last pesky scene-variant so I can unlock the bonus CG in the gallery.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Videps like that are already up on Youtube.
They are a powerful argument against doing dubs...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Videps like that are already up on Youtube.
They are a powerful argument against doing dubs...
Well, it would only be for fun.

Also, I know it's not exactly the same skill set as voice acting, but I am an actor, and I have a lot of friends who are as well, so it might turn out okay if were to eventually try it. And if it doesn't work? I'd just consider it a learning experience and probably not even post it.

It's still only in the realm of hypotheticals, though, and I'd still prefer to get 4LS's blessing before getting any of the equipment as well.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who