Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

gRaViJa

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by gRaViJa »

MoogleDee wrote:I think we've gotten most regulars on this thread on Fitocracy and if not, there's enough invites to go around by now.

Different question: Is it better to run on an empty stomach, a light snack, or after a full meal? I've been running on near empty/empty this whole time and I'm curious if I'm hampering my progress in losing weight or not. Part of me wants to think that by going empty, I'm burning off my reserves (fat) rather than what I would have just eaten.
Could be different from person to person, but i found out that i get my best results if i run +- 1h30 after having eaten a full meal. And like others' already have said, that doesn't make any change on how many calories you burn.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

FissionXMailed wrote: Bingo. Personally workout on a light stomach and drink plenty of fluids during my routine.
This. You don't want a lot of stuff sitting in your stomach during any reasonably stressful physical activity. This is doubly true for competitive sports, meat sweats ain't cool bro.

If you HAVE to eat something right before a heavy workout or a game (going out there starving hurts your performance too!), make it something light. An apple, half a turkey sandwich, a granola or candy bar even. Stay hydrated always, and get yourself a real meal when you're done.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Stan64

Post by Stan64 »

Ran my second day of week 1 yesterday.

Was really hungry on my way home so bought an orange and ate it as soon as I got home.

I warmed up a bit on Wii Fit and noticed that for the last week when I have started eating better, no sweets, light exercise every day and such I've gained around 0,4kg (0,88 pound) every day. I read somewhere that it's normal in the beginning when you haven't done much to improve your health for a while though.

When I stretched I felt that my left thigh wasn't that flexible as the rest of my body, it hurt when I tried to push it, so just pushed lightly.

Then I went out, it was hard and my body is torn. But I followed through and got back home, stretched and took a shower. I didn't feel that I did much better, and I hope I can manage stepping it up.

Afterwards it felt good, I did something really productive and was really tired, spent some time with my games, my gf and then went to sleep. =D
Order in which I beat the routes:
Emi > Hanako ...
Bigbishounen

Post by Bigbishounen »

Ok, Finished Day 2 Week 2 last night.

I have to say, this was the toughest day I've had so far. I really felt like I had to push to get through this one, and was really whipped by the end. Admittedly, I got distracted right at the beginning and that may have thrown off my rhythm as I had to step away from the treadmill for a couple minutes just as I was finishing my warmup. Also, as I was in the final running phase my knee started to hurt. I only had like 30 more seconds of running so I ignored my own advice and pushed through it. I then finished my 2 minutes walking and a 5 minute slow walk to cool down. I was getting a "twinge" in my knee the whole time though. I would have ignored it, but I'm still getting it today when I walk.

Obviously I've done a bit of damage to my knee, but I'm not sure what. I'll pick up an ACE knee brace on the way home tonight, but If it continues I may have to visit the doctor. We'll see how it goes over the next day or so. Since I'm not running until Saturday, I'll wear the brace and try to stay off of it. The last thing I need right now is to derail my progress with a blown out knee.

Heh. I spend so much time hanging around teens and 20-somethings on Animu boards and whatnot on the interbutts I forget that I'm 40 sometimes. Apparently my knee decided to remind me. It sucks. In my head I'm still 25, but stuck inside the body of a 40 year old. Ugh. I'm too young to be having a mid-life crisis. I'm not supposed to have that for another 10 years! Argh. I hate getting old. :(

Well, at any rate, I managed to get through the run and even managed to increase my speed a bit (probably why it was so tough) and went a bit further. Up to 1.91 miles, an extra .10 miles today.

Hopefully nothing is damaged in my knee and I will be back at it again on Saturday!
Hisao: You want to know who I am? I'm the boy with the broken heart.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Don't be overly worried about your knee yet. When i just started, my chin and knees hurted to sometimes. Just wait 1 or 2 days longer before your next session and keep it warm etc. 99% sure it'll be gone in 2 days. If not, you might have to see a doctor.

I'm a bit angry at myself that i'll not be able to run 3 times this week. But it's my birthday party this weekend and some other stuff, so i'll try to get to 2 sessions and hope that Emi won't be too angry about it :p
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Emi'd probably force-feed you cake and expect you to run it off. I wouldn't worry about it.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

I doubt that. Remember how bad she reacted to Hisao eating junk food?

Feeling a bit overdosed on thyroxine now, will try a 15 km nonstop biking on sunday, nice and easy ride with a slight descent and will try to stop only for a quick glance on the map.
If I manage that well enough, my next target would be 23 km in 100 minutes, so I can ride to work. Sounds like nothing special, but I am very heavy and I ride a heavy mountain bike, with a mtb typical gear ratio, not a light road bike.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

I finished Week 7 today. I noticed lately that I have to run significantly slower than in the earlier weeks because my body still hasn't gotten used to running for 20+ minutes nonstop. Hopefully, I'll be able to improve my speed some time. Other than that, I'm perfectly smooth.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Nice going, Tempester! Speed comes with more and more practice, but the most important thing here is not stopping. I just finished week 3 and I'm looking forward to 4 :D
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

MoogleDee wrote:Nice going, Tempester! Speed comes with more and more practice, but the most important thing here is not stopping. I just finished week 3 and I'm looking forward to 4 :D
Thanks. Not stopping is important, because my body gives me all kinds of trivial discomfort during a run (especially the later parts) that make me almost want to stop prematurely, but I still push on until the time limit and end up fine anyway. I'm not sure what kind of discomfort would actually be serious and warrant stopping, but it would probably be a sharp pain in the shin or something else that I haven't felt yet.

Oh, and I recommend you try to run moderately fast at the stage you're in now. Don't sprint, but try to push yourself to run at a steady, brisk pace and take advantage of your walking periods to cool off. Around Week 5 is where you can start slowing down.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

I've been on my feet at work (usually I'm desk-bound) for the whole week and still managed to finish week4 yesterday. Like I've said, I'm going to repeat it and then maybe go further on. My car's at the workshop (lost a serpentine belt), so I'm down to public transport and walking, and I can tell walking around a bit certainly feels different now, that I took up Emi's plan, less tiring for sure. And I noticed while striding I automatically pace my breathing, as I do while running/walking with the schedule.
I might even consider using car less... if it wasn't for the terrible connections I get. No direct bus, no bike-lanes, narrow roads, not a friendly environment for an ecological way of living.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

What can I say, I usually walk for half an hour every morning to the train station (and back every evening) :mrgreen:
And sometimes I get off a few train stops earlier so I can walk for an hour or so uphill, it is more fun that way - alternating the walk with biking nowadays. Thanks to that I am more fit than I was in my twenties.

I do have the choice of taking the bus instead of walking, though, when I don't feel well. A car is not an option, I hate driving with passion.

Long story short, go for it. It's fun. Just keep a change of clothes at the office, if possible.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

It might be a matter of preference for you. In my case it's common sense.

It's about 25km from where I live to my workplace. It's 25min by car (less, if I take highway), 2,5h by bus (with a change and a wait), or let's say an hour and a half of biking, on narrow roads with medium traffic (including coal-trucks, plenty of them on those roads), part of the road I could take through the wood, unkept trail (I've got a road bike :| ). Making the route every day twice and taking 3-5h off my life daily doesn't sound that much fun.
And what makes my rambling totally academic, I work with my GF so she's driving with me, I don't see myself making her bike her way through the woods and back.

On the bright side, I like my car, moody as she is (even gave her a name to curse her when not starting), and I like driving. If I ever got fired, I'm gonna get a mohawk, and drive a cab.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

It is pretty much the same here, (living in Kronberg, working in Offenbach), except that I take train to work and have no girlfriend whatsoever. Then again, offroad biking with a girlfriend must surely be awesome.

I do aim at biking to work as soon as I am fit enough, 25 km should be absolutely manageable, even with my heavy mtb.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Aw crap, just killed the real derailer :evil: