A quick question about Kenji... *Kenji route spoilers*

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nobody in Particular

A quick question about Kenji... *Kenji route spoilers*

Post by Nobody in Particular »

First of all I would just like to say that there will be Kenji spoilers in this post, and since I have forewarned this twice I don't see any need to use spoilers. The spoiler I do use is for Shizune's arc.

So I'm gonna cut straight to the chase, what is Kenji's sexuality? Perhaps this has been asked many times on the forum, but I couldn't find anything about it and it has been bugging me.

If someone got his route instantly they would be forgiven for thinking that he is gay given his actions on the rooftop, but playing through the other routes (and even on that rooftop scene IIRC) he mentioned that he had a girlfriend whom he split up with. Obviously this will bring his sexual orientation into dispute since he could be classed as any of them, (SHIZUNE ROUTE SPOILERS)and for those who think that he must be bisexual because of these facts, just remember the events that occurred in Shizune's bad ending as most fans seem to consider Misha a lesbian rather than bisexual since her h-scene with Hisao was... empty... if I had to label it with a word. This includes Kenji too, since if you do some of the other routes (I think Shizune's one was the path that touched upon this the most) he seems to have a high interest in female companionship and none in male.

Clearly all the events that happened on the rooftop were because Kenji and Hisao were drunk. I suppose it could be argued that his homosexual intentions were the same as Hisao's death, both accidental and both only occurring while Kenji (or both of them for that matter) was intoxicated. He clearly didn't mean for Hisao to fall to his death and likewise he may not have meant to try to hit on him, kind of like Rin's actions in her route when she consumes to Codine (but considering how complex her story was let's just ignore that since that could have really meant anything), and so I don't think that it is impossible since he was drunk.

For these reasons I don't consider him homosexual, and so I reckon he is either bisexual or straight. If I had to choose one I would guess that he is heterosexual, but does anyone have a more definitive answer, or so to speak? I know it really doesn't matter, especially considering how much of a bro Kenji is, but I'm just curious.

Also, how come there isn't a Kenji Discussion Thread anyway? Surely he deserves one, considering how epic a character he was.
Mirrormn

Re: A quick question about Kenji... *Kenji route spoilers*

Post by Mirrormn »

I don't see why anyone would think Kenji is homosexual in the first place. As he approaches Hisao on the rooftop, he's even talking about going trolling for women! There is actually no seduction occurring in that scene; that's just how Hisao incorrectly misinterprets Kenji's actions because of his drunkenness.

Sure, Kenji has some messed up views on women, and views the bonds of brotherhood as a very noble and meaningful thing, but I don't think there's any indication that he thinks about Hisao, or any other male, in a romantic or sexual way.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Y'know that's what I thought (well, semi-thought I suppose) at first, but I have seen quite a few people from the community saying that he is gay. He does say he wants to go trolling women which could really mean a number of things, including what Hisao (and presumably the audience) thinks.

Although that being said, it does play To Become One during that scene. I suppose since the game is through Hisao's eyes it probably wouldn't really make a difference, but it would give you some idea on what Kenji's possible intentions are.
FluffandCrunch

Post by FluffandCrunch »

I don't think Kenji is gay at all. The rooftop scene didn't give me a homosexual vibe in the least. I just think Kenji is a bro-tier bachelor who's still reeling from a bad first relationship. If anything, I think his misogeny is a side effect of that and he'll eventually settle down and call Yuuko back :cry:
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I don't see him as gay. Crazy, maybe, but not gay.

He seems quite interested in whether the girl Hisao is talking (Hanako) about was cute and in ... somebody's route (I forget who's) I seem to recall him mentioning that not all girls are part of a conspiracy. There's some decent ones out there.
Not Dead Yet