Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

gRaViJa

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by gRaViJa »

Gonna go for another 20 minute non-stop jog tomorrow, i'll be climbing the fitocracy charts :)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:
FissionXMailed wrote:
Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:Ah i see, well i don't do the shopping but ur right i never realised that before how stores are set up till u mentioned that. I can cut back yea, how does pop affect the body anyways? why does it make u gain weight the way it does? the sugar?, but what about drinks any suggestions on that, in order to avoid pop i would need to replace one addiction with another. Arizona tea is good, but do they sell in packs.... hmmmmm.

I have been working out for 3days straight now, i did 6 days straight last week rested 1 day and went back to working out, i plan on keeping this 6 day workout rest on 7th up. As for running i have yet to do so, and still got no bike :(
Well other than provide you some refreshing drink. Soda is as with any drink bad for you in excessive amounts. However one can/bottle of soda a day isn't too bad for you and should suffice.

Personally ATM gave up soda (For Lent, yes I do this silly practice of abstaining from something) and drinking tons of water, juice, and tea.

An alternative to soda as you said before could be tea, personally I drink a cup of juice.
Well i drink tea lol, I'll try my best to drink only 1 or 2 pop a day. Arizona tea should be a good replacement right?
the ones u buy in the store for .99c
As a replacement relaxer, sure.

As normal water for benefit no. Plain old water is an acquired taste I believe. Use to be super unhealthy and hate water. Now I love it.

However dunkelfalke does bring up a good point as well. Nothing beats a hot brewed cup of tea. Should probably bust out that giant sack of oolong(? Don't have it on hand, all I know is it's expensive.) tea leaves my mom gave me for college. xD

I heard tea cooked with a french press is good, anyone try it before? Tempted to go try some now. :D
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

I'm more of an Earl-Gray person myself.

Still, any brewed tea might be quite weight-unfriendly with enough sugar in it. Like mine for example.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Tea brewed in a french press is just a bit stronger than the one stepped in a teapot with enough room for the leaves to unroll, but not tastier.
Oolong is maybe the most varied type of tea, both in looks and in taste. Definitely give it a try. Allow the water to cool down for a few minutes just in case (some oolongs should be stepped with boiling water, other in turn with 70°C).

Good tea doesn't need sugar, it is only needed for masking a bad quality blend's taste.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

dunkelfalke wrote:Good tea doesn't need sugar, it is only needed for masking a bad quality blend's taste.
Now we're discussing personal tastes, and it's no good.

I'm not a tea conneseur. I can distinguish only the most general kinds, can't even tell black from oolong. I can't stand tea without sugar. I don't like milk in my tea, but a slice of lemon is always welcome. I also do mix tea, with some fruit tea-bags, mint, and cloves, it's nice in the summer, not necesserily iced.

Also, I visited my friend. He's living in a block of flats on fifth floor and I always had difficulty with running the stairs all the way up (still I try it every time). Yesterday I was standing by his doors breathing heavily but not panting. Could it be a month worth of running with Emi?
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

You know, I have heard that story about tea from so many people over the course of the years. Almost every time it was really just a matter of either bad quality tea or wrong stepping procedure. You don't have to be a tea connoisseur to taste the difference, really. So yes, low grade tea is only tasty with sugar, better grades are, on the other hand, downright ruined by it. Something like a sugared green oolong is abhorrent enough for people to gag on it. This is not a thing of personal taste but rather of personal experience with me experimenting with other people's tastes.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

You're forgetting you're talking to a pop-adict. Sweet tooth of mine alone doesn't let me to enjoy unsweetened tea. Tried many times, with global brands (Lipton/Tetley) and some more sophisticated (in tea-places where I live and while working in Ireland). I'm dooomed already.

Let's say, that after running my first 5k I'll try to muster some will and change it.

Edit: You're Euro-katawan as well, what brand should I look for. Can make another test as well.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Wow, i had an offday today. i really had to push it to get to the 20 min mark, but i made it... Barely :)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

NoOne3 wrote:Edit: You're Euro-katawan as well, what brand should I look for. Can make another test as well.
No brands, but sophisticated tea shops are more like the place to look for better tea. Hm, since you are a self described sweet addict, maybe you can start the easy way with a tea that won't be spoiled by sugar in a too bad way, just in case.
Look for a shui hsien oolong, it also should be sweet enough on its own if you want to gradually cut down on sugar as well - and it is easy enough to brew. Go for the most expensive one you can get.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

I'm following the Couch-to-5K plan. Just finished Week 6 Day 3. Running for 25 minutes straight for the first time was the most strenuous run I've had yet. I was huffing and puffing at the end of it. Feels great when it's all done, though. Maybe I'll try HIIT someday, but I want to finish Week 9 of my routine first.

On the diet side, I don't consume soda, caffeinated drinks, or juice anymore. My liquid intake is restricted to water and milk. Fast food is a rare treat for myself (once every 2 weeks or so), and even then I only order a la carte and request for no mayonnaise.

It's easier for me because I actually started trying all these steps last year. Playing Emi's route only solidified my resolve to make them into good habits.

Any tips for further improvement?
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

dunkelfalke wrote:Tea brewed in a french press is just a bit stronger than the one stepped in a teapot with enough room for the leaves to unroll, but not tastier.
Oolong is maybe the most varied type of tea, both in looks and in taste. Definitely give it a try. Allow the water to cool down for a few minutes just in case (some oolongs should be stepped with boiling water, other in turn with 70°C).
Really? I've noticed the improved taste in my cups of coffee I just assumed the same with tea. Oh well. But yea it does sound good now and the oolong never tasted bad to me, so I guess it's good quality.
Good tea doesn't need sugar, it is only needed for masking a bad quality blend's taste.
Agreed. Sure I like sweet tea, but I also like a cup of hot brewed tea, nothing added. After a meal a bit of hot tea does help me relax. :D
Tempester wrote:I'm following the Couch-to-5K plan. Just finished Week 6 Day 3. Running for 25 minutes straight for the first time was the most strenuous run I've had yet. I was huffing and puffing at the end of it. Feels great when it's all done, though. Maybe I'll try HIIT someday, but I want to finish Week 9 of my routine first.

On the diet side, I don't consume soda, caffeinated drinks, or juice anymore. My liquid intake is restricted to water and milk. Fast food is a rare treat for myself (once every 2 weeks or so), and even then I only order a la carte and request for no mayonnaise.

It's easier for me because I actually started trying all these steps last year. Playing Emi's route only solidified my resolve to make them into good habits.

Any tips for further improvement?
Well only thing for the moment I do is ask a question. For your diet; how many meals per day and calories do you consume per day?

The key to a good workout is a good diet plan as well. I workout regularly so I usually have about 6 smalls meals a day (Or 2~3 Big/Regular size ones). The meals also consist of stuff I know the amount of calories I'm about to consume. Also since I do strength training I consume a decent amount of protein by eating white meat chicken breast and rice.

This also relates to if you're doing only cardio workouts or are you doing any strength training as well?
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

FissionXMailed wrote:Well only thing for the moment I do is ask a question. For your diet; how many meals per day and calories do you consume per day?

The key to a good workout is a good diet plan as well. I workout regularly so I usually have about 6 smalls meals a day (Or 2~3 Big/Regular size ones). The meals also consist of stuff I know the amount of calories I'm about to consume. Also since I do strength training I consume a decent amount of protein by eating white meat chicken breast and rice.

This also relates to if you're doing only cardio workouts or are you doing any strength training as well?
I haven't done strength training in months, although I might start on it sometime this year. I'm quite a lazy person outside of running.

As for food, I generally eat 3-4 times a day. I put an emphasis on muesli and green leafy veggies. I eat very little meat, usually just having one egg per day instead. No idea how many calories I'm consuming, but I think it's average at the very most.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

I eat random food, whatever happens to be handy. Usually its some kind of chicken/rice combo, pizza, chili, beef stew, potatoes, similar. I usually eat 2 meals a day, lunch at work and then dinner at home. Depending on whether I snack or have caloric beverages during the day (mmmm, vodka coke), I estimate my daily intake at anywhere between 1800 and 2800 calories per day.

Todays food will probably be one jacks frozen pizza (1200 calories) and half a box of rice-a-roni rice pilaf with some panfried chicken and spices (~670 calories), and probably a double vodka coke after my skate tonight (170 calories) for a grand total of 2040. For me, that kind of intake will get me to lose weight, albeit slowly. I am not interested in crash dieting, and I know I won't stick to any plan that causes me to radically change my eating habits.

You just have to be conscious of what you're consuming, and make decisions accordingly. Even though the food I eat is garbage, staying active and even halfway paying attention to the caloric value has been enough to get me to loose weight, albeit slowly. I've dropped about 30-35 lbs in the past two years, and it wasn't hard.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Found a caloric intake calculator that actually matches my experience pretty well.

2800 maintenance, 2300 fat loss, 1750 crash.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
urishima

Post by urishima »

hey guys, messing around with this fitocracy thingy right now and I am having trouble finding the right machines in the lost here.

There is a rowing machine in the trainign circle at my gym. It's not the kind of rowing machine where you pull a cable and move your whole body, it's other sort where you have a fixed seat and only pull with your arms. Does anyone know what the proper english name for that is?

http://www.fysiomed.com/en/products/254 ... hine-80-kg
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako