Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

MoogleDee

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by MoogleDee »

NoOne3 wrote:
MoogleDee wrote: In the shower though, when the hot water hit my arms it felt warm and cold at the same time, it was weird.
We'll never know how close you might have been to a first degree frostbite.
I'm not ashamed to admit that sent a mild chill through me. All I had was a t-shirt and track pants thinking to myself, "Oh, well I'm just gonna get all hot and sweaty from the run so this should be fine!" *forehead slap* Nevermind that it just snowed the day before (it didn't stick) and all the mud and puddles I ran by were frozen solid. Yeah, lesson learned in more ways than one.

Thursday is a rare day off work and a rest day from the running routine, so I'll make a stop by a sporting goods store and grab a few things: reflective gear for those late night/early morning runs in absence of the sun, a couple undershirts specially for wicking away sweat, and a new wristwatch. Okay, the watch I can probably grab at Target or something but I'd still like one for keeping track of run/walk sets. It'll be weird for me though, since I haven't worn a wrist watch in about... half a decade.

But moving on, is there anything else I should be concerned about procuring that you guy'd suggest? My funds aren't unlimited of course, but I don't like the idea of skimping out when my personal health is involved. What good is money if I'm not around long enough to spend it, amirite?
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Why don't you directly go for a heart rate monitor instead of a simple wristwatch? As for undershirts, try to use function cloth if possible and not cotton stuff. Cotton soaks in sweat.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

dunkelfalke wrote:Why don't you directly go for a heart rate monitor instead of a simple wristwatch? As for undershirts, try to use function cloth if possible and not cotton stuff. Cotton soaks in sweat.
Yea I'll have to agree with them on the HRM instead of the wristwatch. Simple because getting the most out of any running/cardio exercise is by keeping up with your suggested heart rate and pace.

These charts HERE, HERE, and HERE have accurate numbers around where I stay for my recommended HR when I workout.

Also keep track of the weather if you run outside and dress appropriately. It's good to accommodate for you sweating and heating up from exercising, but it's not good if you get sick and have to put off working out to recover.

Personally I wear track pants and shirt with an undershirt. Since I like to build up a sweat when I run and the weather never bothers me. But I still have extra clothing with me just in case. (Beanie, Gloves, Scarf, etc.)
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
TamagoTwo

Post by TamagoTwo »

More thoughts...
Just started week 2 today. I was gonna go out in just a t-shirt and track bottoms but reading all this stuff about dressing properly made me put a jacket fleece on... bad idea! It really isn't cold at all today and it just made me more uncomfortable as I was sweating more than I should. Seems spring is truly here for England now, so I'm going to default to a t-shirt now unless it turns cold again or its bad weather.

As for the week 2 exercise, it was tough; felt like the first session of week 1 again, but I managed the whole thing. I suppose it being hard is the point though, got to push yourself past what's comfortable to make any improvements.

I've been eating a bit better lately also, and combined with actually doing some kind of exercise I think I've lost a bit of weight as well, which is inspiring and reignited my desire to keep doing this. If I wasn't so busy with university I'd do more physical stuff but all my assignments are due in March (almost literally, everything apart from one assignment due back in January is due in March including my dissertation) so I'm trying to concentrate on getting that done before I commit to anything extra.

I'm probably going to get day 2 done tomorrow since I'm pretty busy this week, and then do the last one on Friday. Depends on how much work I get done today and tomorrow!
Couch to 5k With Emi!
Week 2:
On hold due to injury and real life =(
ook

Post by ook »

Week 2 complete 8)

Week 3 doesn't look so bad, but week 4 looks like a huge step up from what we've been doing.

For anyone who's gotten to week 4 already... is it as tough as it looks? Or does something happen between week 3 and 4 that makes your body just "get it"?

TamagoTwo wrote:I've been eating a bit better lately also, and combined with actually doing some kind of exercise I think I've lost a bit of weight as well, which is inspiring and reignited my desire to keep doing this.
I also have started eating better. Yesterday I ate a salad for the first time ever, and it actually tasted kind of... good.

It's exciting :D
Last edited by ook on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Keep at it, TamagoTwo, you're doing great :)

@ook: i'm in week4, and it feels like something did happen. Yesterday i could have run 20 minutes straight. i only stopped for 2 minutes halfway ebcause i didn't want to overdo it.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Maakasu_Taihaku

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku »

dunkelfalke wrote:Hm, never understood the obsession with carbonated sugarwater myself.

lol i love pop, i know i would lose quite abit of weight if i didn't drink it as often as i did, is it possible to lose weight and get health running and working out, without giving up pop XD and junk food?. lol i know it might be harder, but that means i have to push my self extra hard. I don't eat tons of junk food, but its part of my normal diet lmao. I got to go job searching so walking around should give me some exercise :P As much as Emi is a inpiration to get fit, i just can't give up tasty treats :D. Unless of course i had a GF who made me like she did with Hisao
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

What for?
Non-junk food tastes so much better.
Maakasu_Taihaku

Lol well what are some suggestions?. I like Apples. So tahts a given. i mean whatt kinda healthy food can replace treats? to satisfy that sweet tooth feeling?

and i need to find a drink i can like as much as pop, (not water) that i can get addicted to instead of pop. Is there anything like that? healthy and has a bite like pop?
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

dunkelfalke wrote:As for undershirts, try to use function cloth if possible and not cotton stuff. Cotton soaks in sweat.
I would take it with a grain of salt. Cotton is at least absorbing sweat, so it isn't evaporating directly from the skin. Fabrics better at it than cotton would be one of the advanced ones (coolmax?), which mean more money for it. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, don't feel bad. Get three long sleeve undershirts, from used clothing (charity shop?) for a fraction of the price. Your tracksuit can have the famous three stripes, but two, or four are well too.

I know it might seem like third-world science for some, but all those sport wear and gear are not as important as simple motivation to do another run.

And I try to be honest with myself. Being able to run for 3min non-stop doesn't make me a sportsman. I'm just a bit less of a couch potato I was few weeks ago. Still, not being a sportsman, I don't really need this sport stuff, to jog some from time to time.
MoogleDee

Post by MoogleDee »

Hmm, good call on the HRM! I never even thought of that. (you guys are why I like it here) Yeah, for the undershirt, cotton is a big bleh. I was gonna go for those undershirts by Under Armor. I don't know what they're made of, but they work.

TamagoTwo, ook, and everyone else - nice going! Keep it up!

NoOne3, I'm not really a sportsperson either, but most of my current wardrobe isn't outdoor friendly. 90% of what I own consists of t-shirts and jeans. The few pairs of track pants I have I use for lounging. Buying this kind of stuff now just saves me from doing the laundry too often.

Maakasu_Taihaku, I can completely understand you and your love of the sweets. I work in the bakery department at a grocery store, so believe me. The treats taste good, but overdoing it just makes you feel like crap. I'm not saying you should buy into the micro-sized 100 calorie treats, just try to cut down altogether. When I need a sweet fix these days, I grab fruit. Bartlett pears are tasty, give one a try!

While I'm on nutrition, eating healthier is something that looks hard from the outset, but it's easier once you get into it. Use this tip: when you're out grocery shopping, avoid the middle of the store as much as you can. Most grocery stores are made in such a way so all the processed and bad stuff is in the middle aisles, while the healthier alternatives are around the perimeter.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

NoOne3 wrote:And I try to be honest with myself. Being able to run for 3min non-stop doesn't make me a sportsman. I'm just a bit less of a couch potato I was few weeks ago. Still, not being a sportsman, I don't really need this sport stuff, to jog some from time to time.
Doesn't have to do anything with that, but rather more with that I don't want to catch a cold wearing something that is dripping wet. And also with the fact that I don't own a dryer but my washing machine can spin at 1800 rpm, so if i wash a cotton t-shirt, it will stay wet, but if I wash a function fabric t-shirt, it will come out dry. Cotton is okayish in summer so long it doesn't get windy after the workout. In winter it sucks. And since I get all my functional stuff on sale I don't pay that much for it :mrgreen:
Maakasu_Taihaku

MoogleDee wrote:Hmm, good call on the HRM! I never even thought of that. (you guys are why I like it here) Yeah, for the undershirt, cotton is a big bleh. I was gonna go for those undershirts by Under Armor. I don't know what they're made of, but they work.

TamagoTwo, ook, and everyone else - nice going! Keep it up!

NoOne3, I'm not really a sportsperson either, but most of my current wardrobe isn't outdoor friendly. 90% of what I own consists of t-shirts and jeans. The few pairs of track pants I have I use for lounging. Buying this kind of stuff now just saves me from doing the laundry too often.

Maakasu_Taihaku, I can completely understand you and your love of the sweets. I work in the bakery department at a grocery store, so believe me. The treats taste good, but overdoing it just makes you feel like crap. I'm not saying you should buy into the micro-sized 100 calorie treats, just try to cut down altogether. When I need a sweet fix these days, I grab fruit. Bartlett pears are tasty, give one a try!

While I'm on nutrition, eating healthier is something that looks hard from the outset, but it's easier once you get into it. Use this tip: when you're out grocery shopping, avoid the middle of the store as much as you can. Most grocery stores are made in such a way so all the processed and bad stuff is in the middle aisles, while the healthier alternatives are around the perimeter.
Ah i see, well i don't do the shopping but ur right i never realised that before how stores are set up till u mentioned that. I can cut back yea, how does pop affect the body anyways? why does it make u gain weight the way it does? the sugar?, but what about drinks any suggestions on that, in order to avoid pop i would need to replace one addiction with another. Arizona tea is good, but do they sell in packs.... hmmmmm.

I have been working out for 3days straight now, i did 6 days straight last week rested 1 day and went back to working out, i plan on keeping this 6 day workout rest on 7th up. As for running i have yet to do so, and still got no bike :(
FissionXMailed

Post by FissionXMailed »

Maakasu_Taihaku wrote:Ah i see, well i don't do the shopping but ur right i never realised that before how stores are set up till u mentioned that. I can cut back yea, how does pop affect the body anyways? why does it make u gain weight the way it does? the sugar?, but what about drinks any suggestions on that, in order to avoid pop i would need to replace one addiction with another. Arizona tea is good, but do they sell in packs.... hmmmmm.

I have been working out for 3days straight now, i did 6 days straight last week rested 1 day and went back to working out, i plan on keeping this 6 day workout rest on 7th up. As for running i have yet to do so, and still got no bike :(
Well other than provide you some refreshing drink. Soda is as with any drink bad for you in excessive amounts. However one can/bottle of soda a day isn't too bad for you and should suffice.

Personally ATM gave up soda (For Lent, yes I do this silly practice of abstaining from something) and drinking tons of water, juice, and tea.

An alternative to soda as you said before could be tea, personally I drink a cup of juice.
94% Collected (Only have done Good endings.)
(1st) Emi: Done
(2nd) Hanako: Done
(3rd) Shizune: Done
(4th) Rin: Done
(5th) Lilly: Done
Got the "feels"? Click here for a resolve.
ivegottogodosomthing

Post by ivegottogodosomthing »

Juice is often just as bad as soda, since it has little nutritional value compared to whole fruit, and high sugar content. If you're really trying to lose weight, do your best to drink no calories. (In other words, stick to only water, tea, and coffee.) Diet soda and *sugar free* juice is something you should avoid too, since it can spike your blood sugar, and is filled with nasty, nasty, chemicals.