Games That Evoke So Much Emotions

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Plasma_Jesus

Re: Games That Evoke So Much Emotions

Post by Plasma_Jesus »

MGS 3 was the first game/movie that made me cry, and none of my friends will ever let me forget that
actually all the MGS games have really emotional moments. Bioware games as well, even DA2 had it's moments.
The last Act of AC:Revelations does a very very good job of ending Ezio's/Altair's stories in an emotionally satisfying way, best part of the game by far.
TRUE Force. All the king's men cannot put it back together again...yes, I'm saying that we should take Australia...
Pyrokinesis1019

Post by Pyrokinesis1019 »

You know, when I played Iji, it was the first time a game really played with my emotions. After killing so many enemies, when it brings up the relationship between Earth and the different factions, it made me feel bad about what I had been doing in the game up to then. I actually made an attempt to only kill the one faction after that.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

A couple years ago, I tried some recommended experimental, zero-budget games from the indie game community. One of them was "Passage," which, as far as I can tell, is an abstract story about a relationship. A couple fall in love. They stay together over the years. She dies. Then he dies. It got me thinking for a while.

As I've probably said before, the iOS visual novel "Tears 9, 10" is a few minutes of comedy, followed by one player punch after another and another. I read through it one day while outside, since it worked on my iPod Touch. It made for a memorable day.

But these days, most of my video games aren't especially emotional.
scorptatious

Post by scorptatious »

Panasonic_youth wrote:You should definitely check out Ico and Shadow of The Colossus. They are works of art. Two of my favorite video games of all time.
Agreed, the latter I felt pretty chocked up towards the end.

The ending to Final Fantasy IX made me feel very fuzzy inside. I don't know what it is, everything just seemed to have ended so perfectly in that game.

The Mass Effect series has done it's job at evoking emotions within me too. I'm currently going through Mass Effect 3 and

I've recently went through Tuchanka today. Mordin went up to administer the Genophage cure within the Shade. The building around him was exploding and crumbling, and yet he remained calm and did his job. He was singing his "Scientist Salarian" song as he was activating the cure. "I am the very model of... *explosion*

That was when I started to lose it. Mordin was a good friend and ally. The fact that he sacrificed himself to guarantee the future of an entire species which he himself helped sterilize made me both really happy and really sad at the same time. Goddamnit Mordin, you were a fucking hero. :cry:
Last edited by scorptatious on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

The Persona series, mainly Persona 3 has always gotten me a bit, mostly from when the other characters start having their own problems and such, like Ken and Junpei, but overall the series does a good job.

Braid gave me some emotions, though im not sure its easy to explain that since its so open to interpretaion, and i probably interpreted it differently.

The Ending of Dragon Age II had some emotions too. Having the slaughter the templars and mages after they turned abominations for being scared to of the Templars, and Anders Destroying the Chapel and me having to kill him or risk a war with Starkhaven....that whole ending was very emotional to me.

Also about the Mass Effect 3 Spoiler earlier

I totally agree about Mordin's death. He was my favorite team member in any Mass Effect game, and was always in my team along with Garrus in ME2. When he went up that tower and said he wasnt coming back, i was staring in disbelief at the TV. I was hoping the Paragon action would stop him, but it didnt. His death almost made me shed a tear, i didnt though, i tend to keep my emotions in check, even in the most extreme situations but it was very disheartening to see him go. That being said his death was superbly well done and i could not have though of a better way for Mordin to go out, it was an honorable respectable death and i he will go down as one of the most important Salarians of all time..
Xerxes

Post by Xerxes »

Max Payne series: Nothing to lose, payback, armed and dangerous, betrayal, all your loved ones are dead.

And the plots are pure noire awesomeness.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Planescape Torment.

The game is about a amnesiac immortal and his quest to learn why he cant die. Sounds silly and cliché? But it is definitely not. The game is very open ended, with lots of possible ways to do the same thing, its light on combat and aciton and really heavy in personal interactions.

Now about the emotions, the game is full of it, it the very start you don't feel nothing for the characters, but as the plot goes on you learn about the past, the things you did, the things done to you, and in the ending everything comes crashing down in what i think its one of the most awesome and bittersweet game of all times. Full of Feels.

Look at the Trailer, The graphics are dated aye, but the story about regrets, determination and the meaning of life is well worth it.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Paul Atreides

Post by Paul Atreides »

Agree with Persona series, Max Payne, Final Fantasy VI & Planescape Torment. I would add Final Fantasy IV, the first one which has deep characters and a good storyline, and Deadly Premonition, a non-official Twin Peaks japanese game that has the best main character in this generation and very good plot twists.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Terranigma.

I don't know if the emotion I felt at the end was sadness or rage, though.
Xerxes

Post by Xerxes »

Oh, I forgot, it's probably one of the best games ever made, at least the PC version.

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

That game, despite it's aged graphics, it's nigh perfect. The plot is on part with the best gangster themed movies and novels.
And its freakin' fuckin' ending, it just awesome.

Illusion Softworks (now 2K Czech) I salute you.
Paul Atreides

Post by Paul Atreides »

themocaw wrote:Terranigma.

I don't know if the emotion I felt at the end was sadness or rage, though.
I definitely say that was rage. By searching in his grandfather's house he opens a magical box and then he has to save the world. He was betrayed by his mate Yomi and he killed Elle. Some mates also were killed and others make his adventure difficult. The ancient Evil behind all was his grandfather. The world wich he lives has to disappear and so its people, in order to exist the other world. And he reincarnates at the end of the game in a seagull!! Poor, poor Ark. :lol:
bluephoenix

Post by bluephoenix »

Synthus wrote:Mass Effect 2 was also pretty good at the finale if you were invested. Of course, you knew how it was going to turn out.
On that note, Mass Effect 3. Even more so. Given it's galactic war, you know what will happen but it doesn't stop it from hurting. I'm almost afraid to finish it because it's obvious how it'll end.
Yellow 13

Post by Yellow 13 »

Silent Hill 2 and Shattered Memories for me
The Mission 27 of Ace Combat 5 Both sides joining forces against the grey men, and singing
Minsc ending in Baldurs Gate Well, what is Minsc without Boo? The two would never be separated, and some say they are together still, up amongst the stars where hamsters are giants and men become legends ;_;
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

danyo

Post by danyo »

I just finished playing through clannad, and feelings wise, it was on a whole new level compared to KS. Especially the first playthrough of the after story, it was just so heartbreaking :(

That said, anyone happens to know after playing through clannad, is it worth watching the anime/movie aswell?
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

danyo wrote: Especially the first playthrough of the after story, it was just so heartbreaking :(
Yeah, After story is awesome. I have issues with the VN as a whole and the ending, but it's undeniably a good visual novel. Try Kanon, Planetarian, and Little Busters. They were all made by Key Visual Arts like Clannad and have been translated. I need to get to them myself. Eventually.

Oh, there's little point to watching the anime since you completed the Visual Novel.