Reconciliation - (a Hanako bad-end story)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Robnonymous

Re: Reconciliation - (a Hanako bad-end story)

Post by Robnonymous »

CNB wrote:Finished reading the chapter. The scene with Lilly was pretty much exactly what I'd been waiting for.
Yeah, that first "water under the bridge" moment was more them going through the motions. I mean, Lilly WAS bottling up a lot of heavy shit and neither of them had even spoken to each other for years. This one was for realzies, though.
CNB wrote:Sho... I dunno, there must be some way he could have been handled more deftly, but for now I'm willing to accept that Hanako just happened to hit the jackpot and blindly stumble across her other half. Considering her almost DIckensian backstory, she's due for some good luck. Yes, I studied math, I know what the Gambler's Fallacy is, but romantic drama is not a genre that interests me because of its intense commitment to cold-eyed realism.
Who said anything about Hanako and Sho being romantically involved? 8)
CNB wrote:The one major quibble I have is with the line about "the country's biggest author." It seems like a real stretch for that to be literally true, and if he were teasing, I'd think something along the lines of "best" or "fastest-rising" or "hottest" (totally no double-entendre) would fit better.
Well, biggest "right now," anyway. :wink:
Bad Dreams (Hanako) - My first KS fanfic. it's actually a happy story
Reconciliation - (a Hanako bad-end story) - My second KS fanfic. Not all that happy.
CNB

Post by CNB »

Robnonymous wrote:Who said anything about Hanako and Sho being romantically involved? 8)
They clearly aren't, yet. But whether or not anything comes of it, they're just as clearly being positioned as an almost ridiculously perfect match. Essentially what I'm saying is, "Okay, sure, I can ship it."

Note that I don't actually want them to get together, at least not explicitly. I think that kind of convenient, super-happy end would dilute what I perceive as the story's main themes. The funeral doesn't need a "wedding" to balance it out. (edit: By the same token, I don't think it needs any twists in the opposite direction, either. I like that it's been relatively restrained on the melodrama front.)
Last edited by CNB on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robnonymous

Post by Robnonymous »

Robnonymous wrote:All I can say at this point is "I got things a-brewin'." :wink:
8)
Reconciliation - (a Hanako bad-end story) - My second KS fanfic. Not all that happy.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

If Sho ends up being into guys, I'm gonna flip a table. Just sayin'.

It's one of those "Oh my god he's perfect for her" things.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

As a fellow non fan of Twilight, I quite enjoyed the chapter. Not just for that though, I liked the rest as well :mrgreen:

Although, speaking of the Twilight reference, the whole Hanako being in the same place as the author who not only lives in a different country to her, but also wouldn't be likely to go to Japan, seems slightly unlikely. Then again, this is fiction, not reality, so who cares.,
CNB

Post by CNB »

Mahorfeus wrote:If Sho ends up being into guys, I'm gonna flip a table. Just sayin'.
Yeah. That would be just as much of a cheap out as having them hook up.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Considering her almost DIckensian backstory, she's due for some good luck. Yes, I studied math, I know what the Gambler's Fallacy is, but romantic drama is not a genre that interests me because of its intense commitment to cold-eyed realism.
It's not about math - it's about karma :wink:
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

CNB wrote:
Mahorfeus wrote:If Sho ends up being into guys, I'm gonna flip a table. Just sayin'.
Yeah. That would be just as much of a cheap out as having them hook up.
Mirage_GSM wrote:
Considering her almost DIckensian backstory, she's due for some good luck. Yes, I studied math, I know what the Gambler's Fallacy is, but romantic drama is not a genre that interests me because of its intense commitment to cold-eyed realism.
It's not about math - it's about karma :wink:
Oh my god. He's gonna get hit by a bus, is he?
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Robnonymous

Post by Robnonymous »

scott1and wrote:Although, speaking of the Twilight reference, the whole Hanako being in the same place as the author who not only lives in a different country to her, but also wouldn't be likely to go to Japan, seems slightly unlikely. Then again, this is fiction, not reality, so who cares.,
It was a book expo. I think it's entirely plausible for an author to travel to another country for something like that (i.e. Hanako came to America). It also helps to explain why she can speak English. :wink:

Also, yes. Fanfiction. Just roll with it.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Lilly's behavior kind of threw me off. I feel like I'd be more immersed if she was more of a Mary Sue, like she is ingame.
gecko

Post by gecko »

Lily didn't strike me as OC. It's the kind of behaviour you can expect from her when she lets her guard down (see the confession or the hospital scenes.
My suspension of disbelief was more stretched by Sho having so much to relate to Hanako... Oh well, rule of cool and everything, I'm still reading.
99% completion.
Mind-worm meter: Rin>>Emi>Lily>Hanako>>Shizune
Fanfic: The lamb and the fox
CNB

Post by CNB »

Mahorfeus wrote:Oh my god. He's gonna get hit by a bus, is he?
And then Hanako will contract with Kyubey and become a magical girl, only to find out that Sho was a genderswapped version of herself from an alternate timeline...
Brogurt wrote:Lilly's behavior kind of threw me off. I feel like I'd be more immersed if she was more of a Mary Sue, like she is ingame.
In the game it was made pretty clear that Lilly's perfect-lady schtick is at least partially a facade, and she did maintain it pretty well right up until they started shoveling dirt into the grave.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Giving her a sob story about losing both his parents and being an orphan with no other relatives to live with, just like her. Growing up enjoying reading and board games, just like her. Sho is obviously a slick con man looking to seperate the most famous author from Japan a good chunk of her monies. Maybe even all of it considering the time and effort he's putting into it. :mrgreen:
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Otakumon wrote:Giving her a sob story about losing both his parents and being an orphan with no other relatives to live with, just like her. Growing up enjoying reading and board games, just like her. Sho is obviously a slick con man looking to seperate the most famous author from Japan a good chunk of her monies. Maybe even all of it considering the time and effort he's putting into it. :mrgreen:
*whips off glasses dramatically*
-insert smirk here-
"Just as planned."
Specter Von Baren

Post by Specter Von Baren »

Otakumon wrote:Giving her a sob story about losing both his parents and being an orphan with no other relatives to live with, just like her. Growing up enjoying reading and board games, just like her. Sho is obviously a slick con man looking to seperate the most famous author from Japan a good chunk of her monies. Maybe even all of it considering the time and effort he's putting into it. :mrgreen:
Oooooo! What a twist that would be.

As for the chapter. Much more what I like. It had more things happening in it and the drama that got me interested in the first two chapters has come back. I also like that we've learned a bit more about Sho, even if I do feel it was a bit too much like Hanako's situation, BUT since someone mentioned the possibility that Sho is actually lying for some reason, I'm thinking that might be a very good twist to this.