Why the hate for Shizune ??

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

bradpara

Re: Why the hate for Shizune ??

Post by bradpara »

She is a strong, assertive woman that automatically turns a lot of people off. Her route is a much nuanced one that requires people to pay attention which a lot of people are not willing to do. People automatically assume she's a bitch simply because she takes her responsibilities seriously and is frustrated that no one else seems to care. Shame really, because if one looks at her, one can see a very selfless, passionate and devoted young woman whose main goal is to make other people happy.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Shizune herself is actually pretty great - all the heroines are, really. Moreover, she's a marvelously interesting character.

The fact is, I just find her route to be a lot more tedious than the others. I don't know if they should've done more with the love triangle, or something else entirely, but Tongue-Tied and the endings were the only really memorable parts (and maybe the end of Act 2), emotionally speaking. To be fair, there were a lot of laugh-out-loud moments with Jigoro and Kenji and the rest, though.

Also, I just might be taking my anger at the fact that there's no Misha route on Shizune. Just a bit.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
CNB

Post by CNB »

bradpara wrote:She is a strong, assertive woman that automatically turns a lot of people off.
I think her gender has less to do with it than the fact she's just kind of mean. She also comes off as a tremendous hypocrite in a number of places. Shizune has her virtues, but she is the sort of person even a close friend would describe as "difficult to get along with."

Though I suspect the primary reason for her getting hated is the way her route is structured (really long, with only one choice), rather than any particular thing about the character herself.
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Synthus wrote: She has high expectations of her fellows and leads by example. It's not her bloody fault if they didn't tell her that they weren't interested in doing quite as much work as she does.
Nice job sugar coating my words and then disguising it as an intelligent response. She has no understanding of how people think or act, and expects everyone to be just like her when commanded. She's more socially oblivious than Misha.
Synthus wrote:How else do you turn down someone you weren't interested in as a partner but would like to retain as a friend?
Let them down gently and then comfort them, or at least not shoot them down without a second thought.
Synthus wrote:And honestly, how nice are you to people that you've fallen out with?
I'm not a douche to them unless they start with me. Shizune, even when complemented on her culinary skills, starts being a bitch to Lilly.
Synthus wrote:tl;dr: groundless gripes, it's called being human.
Yeah, no. Most people don't act like this.
Last edited by Dr. Robotnik on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
toxicmaniac

Post by toxicmaniac »

I say you can't really judge Shizune until you've played through both her good and bad endings.

Before that i did really hate her. The biggest reason i hated her was because of her attitude towards Hanako which she doesn't deserve as she already feels so isolated. I also hated her for how she threated Misha after she confessed her love towards her and all she did was reject her and pretend nothing ever happened without thinking how Misha felt

But really there are reasons for that and you'll see why after you atleast finish her whole story through a good and bad perspective. I still wouldn't see her as a girlfriend tho more as an competitive ally.
Emi's route 7.5/10
Shizune's route: 8/10
Rin's route: 10/10
Hanako's route: 9.5/10
Lilly's route: Not finished
Titus

Post by Titus »

Shizoone's the cutest looking one, and I like her competition games.

Feeds my ego whenever I beat someone and I'd love to break Shizune at anything just for laughs. Also I !@$#!$ hated it when Hisao lost to her in many little games, I wished I was there just to win. There was one part in Hanako's route where they were arguing about something (taking advantage of Hisao?) and Shizune gave a competitive smile at the chance to argue and win and I had REALLY hoped it would go there (it didn't). I think I should examine my personality and question if I'm a good person
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Everytime Shizune starts acting high-and-mighty towards Hisao, challenging him to a competition and what not, I smile and squeal with glee. Why? Because that's her way of flirting, and that's when Shizune is--using Rin's figure of speech--Shizu-est.

Kinda' wished Hisao to be better at games though; I'd throw money at my screen just to see Hisao winning against Shizune and her priceless follow-up reaction.

what's not to like in her? She's a bit of a tsundere herself, keeping her emotions strictly professional when others are around but goes all 'dere-dere' when left alone with Hisao. I don't get why nobody likes her :/
she's the BEST IMO.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

I should have used a different word then hate

anyhow ... the reason all you guys dont like her is the reason she is my favorite... you dont have to be the white knight with her ( most real life woman just need a equal not a hero ) and i love that .... she doesn't take crap from noone ... and with out her being a " bitch " what would the school fair be like ( no where near as good ) ... and she got pissed like as other normal girl would where you sleep with misha ( her best friend ) ... think about it would hanako and lilly get piss at each other ... or emi or rin for that matter is you slept with the other best friend ... yes i do agree it isn't the best story arc ... but to me shizune is the best character hand down because she is the most real out of all the characters
Dr. Robotnik

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Why the fuck is every singe person on this forum so ready to assume that everyone else is a white knight? Seriously, stop using that word, it is the exact opposite of what this game is about, and everyone knows that.
Emibro, [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, [Two-timer]
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Why the fuck is every singe person on this forum so ready to assume that everyone else is a white knight? Seriously, stop using that word, it is the exact opposite of what this game is about, and everyone knows that.
What would you call it ??
Tezzeret

Post by Tezzeret »

I don't hate Shizune. Not by a long shot. She might come off as cross being so aggressive and competitive and controlling but she really is a caring person and wants everyone to succeed and become more. The only thing i have to complain about her is the way she treats Hanako just because of her battle with Lilly. It's a tad bit unfair of her to do that.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Tezzeret wrote:I don't hate Shizune. Not by a long shot. She might come off as cross being so aggressive and competitive and controlling but she really is a caring person and wants everyone to succeed and become more. The only thing i have to complain about her is the way she treats Hanako just because of her battle with Lilly. It's a tad bit unfair of her to do that.
Have you played Hanako's route? Because it seems like it isn't like that at all.
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
New Age Retro Hippie

Post by New Age Retro Hippie »

Titus wrote:
Tezzeret wrote:I don't hate Shizune. Not by a long shot. She might come off as cross being so aggressive and competitive and controlling but she really is a caring person and wants everyone to succeed and become more. The only thing i have to complain about her is the way she treats Hanako just because of her battle with Lilly. It's a tad bit unfair of her to do that.
Have you played Hanako's route? Because it seems like it isn't like that at all.
I guess my post gave out, so I'm just going to say "yeah". I mean, she's not the most welcome to Hanako, due to both her friendship with Lilly, conflicting personality, and Hanako's tardiness. In Hanako's path, whenever Hanako joins their activities, Shizune seems to relish in it.
Tezzeret

Post by Tezzeret »

Titus wrote:
I did do Hanako's route and i did indeed notice that wasn't the case. I should have specifically mentioned that i was talking about the other routes. My bad.
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

New Age Retro Hippie wrote:
Titus wrote:
I guess my post gave out, so I'm just going to say "yeah". I mean, she's not the most welcome to Hanako, due to both her friendship with Lilly, conflicting personality, and Hanako's tardiness. In Hanako's path, whenever Hanako joins their activities, Shizune seems to relish in it.
Also like to menton that in Shizune's Route. Shizune actually invites Hanako to play chess with her when she notices her looking at a chess board in the Student Council Room during a chance meeting. Sadly she is forced to conclude that because Hanako does not like chess per se just the memories that she associates with it. And thus it is not something they can become freinds over.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic