Hanako's Scars?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Hitman3256

Hanako's Scars?

Post by Hitman3256 »

Okay, so I've been wondering about this for some time...

Half of Hanako's body is scarred because of a fire when she was younger, that much is obvious. But, they seem to be more like burns rather than the disfigurement fire-related injuries cause. Maybe I'm just just being too technical....

The other thing is, how is her scarring considered to be a disability? I don't get it. To me, I always though that a disability was any physical ailment that hindered your full natural potential as a human. That's what I think, anyways.

Just wondering how Hanako actually has a disability? I mean, she is considered as having a disability, right? Rather than Misha who's got nothing wrong with her, and is jut there to be there.
GaseousMask

Re: Hanako's Scars?

Post by GaseousMask »

Her mom did save her from death and possibly more severe scarring by using her body as a shield. Also she had it as a kid, leaving the burns to heal overtime. A lot of burns don't come out like.. ie TWO-FACE (sorry Hanako)

She also did say that she came to Yamaku hoping that people would ignore her scars seeing how other students all have some type of physical disability so there would be less or none bullying/teasing she suffered throughout her life after the accident

Shizune/Misha Spoiler. Its also possible that Misha went to Yamaku so people wouldn't be prejudice towards her sexuality from the hints she gave through the story arc.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Yamaku does take students who don't have a physical disability in the most literal sense of the term as long as they feel said student would still benefit from attending there.

Hanako's "disability" is not so much her burns, but the crippling social anxiety she picked up as a result. Yamaku's staff probably figured she was more likely to make friends in a place like the school, which in turn would prepare her for the real world better. If Hanako was as confident as Lilly, she probably wouldn't even have been admitted.
DeZyphred

Post by DeZyphred »

At some point in some Arc I know, my citations are atrocious I think Misha mentions that the school isn't just available to the disabled, sort of like Galladet in Washington D.C. but is available to everyone wanting to attend.
TamagoTwo

Post by TamagoTwo »

She's not really disabled, its just that her parents died in the fire so she has nowhere to go. She's so timid and self-conscious of her scars that the fact the school is so out of the way, and she has no family to live with, means the school is perfect for her. The school isn't exclusive to disabled people as Misha's being there proves (and its stated in one route I forget which, that anyone can choose to attend, its just that most non-disabled people choose not to), but Hanako needs to be there more since she wouldn't be able to function in a real school.
Couch to 5k With Emi!
Week 2:
On hold due to injury and real life =(
Ippo279

Post by Ippo279 »

I know this is a little canon, but how does Hanako pay for the school? From what I have heard, it costs a lot of money, and well Hanako doesn't seem to have a job. Unless she got if from her inheritance or will or something...
"One does not simply forget Katawa Shoujo.."
Zoram

Post by Zoram »

She is in the care of the state because of the loss of her parents. I seem to remember her also saying something about the staff at her orphanage sending her at Yamaku, because they thought it was the right choice after seeing how terrible the middle school years were for her.
TamagoTwo

Post by TamagoTwo »

Yeah I'm guessing the government is looking after her, or she got some inheritance. It's weird now I think about it, because money is never mentioned for her as its at least hinted how the other girls are paying for their schooling. It can easily be explained by either of those two things though.
Couch to 5k With Emi!
Week 2:
On hold due to injury and real life =(
Hitman3257

Post by Hitman3257 »

Thanks everyone for clarifying that and your thoughts on it :)

(I am Hitman3256, just that from my phone I gotta keep logging in and it's a pain)
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Ippo279 wrote:I know this is a little canon, but how does Hanako pay for the school? From what I have heard, it costs a lot of money, and well Hanako doesn't seem to have a job. Unless she got if from her inheritance or will or something...
Ward of the state more than likely.
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

I seem to recall that significant disfigurement is treated as a disability by the Japanese government.