Katawa Shoujo "Plus"

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Rinmibro

Katawa Shoujo "Plus"

Post by Rinmibro »

So while browsing through /a/ and /v/ last night. I stumbled over several people discussing this project known as Katawa Shoujo Plus.

Apparently it's a spin off game, and they released this last night.

They linked a FAQ as well.

http://ksplus.titanpad.com/ep/pad/view/ ... fZpJ/rev.4

Sooooo, I'm not totally against this idea, what's your thoughts guys?
Last edited by Rinmibro on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rinmibro

Re: Katawa Shoujo "Plus"

Post by Rinmibro »

Oh, also this is from the FAQ.

Frequently Asked Questions

Isn't this just ripping off Katawa Shoujo?
Short answer: No.
Firstly, a lot of people seem to be screaming that this is ripping off Four Leaf Studios' VN; google "copyright" and "software licensing". The idea was RAITA's, and we won't break their license.
We are producing our own assets from the ground up.
We are not using any assets from the original Katawa Shoujo.
However, this is a spinoff of KS, that is undeniable.

Is this a sequel?
No; this is not a sequel. It is set in the same timeline as Katawa Shoujo with a different main character, new girls, and original routes.

Why are you making this?
Many people had a positive reaction to Katawa Shoujo. We are among those people, and as much as we loved KS, we wanted more. We hold Four Leaf Studios in the highest regard, and feel as if this VN is more of a love letter to them than anyone. We simply want to share with the world as they did.

How many routes will there be?
There are six planned routes at this point in time.

Will there be a Kenji route?
No.

How big is the staff list?
Like 4LS, our numbers vary depending on the circumstances.
(We lack artists.)

Do you have a website?
Currently, no. We do have an IRC channel, though.
#ksplus @ irc.rizon.net

I want to join the team, how can I do that?
You can visit us via our IRC channel that has already been cited above and speak to one of the staff members about your interest in joining the team.

What's X's disability?
Don't worry about it; you'll find out.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

I have a feeling that girl has mental issues.

EDIT: 'scuse me, not mental. Brain damage or something along that line
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Rinmibro

Post by Rinmibro »

Megumeru wrote:I have a feeling that girl has mental issues.

EDIT: 'scuse me, not mental. Brain damage or something along that line
I was thinking the same thing, maybe head trauma or something?

I want to know!
Cyraknoss

Post by Cyraknoss »

Seen a bunch of these projects popping up inspired by KS. I wonder how many of them will survive to completion. I certainly wish them well, more VNs like KS can only be a good thing if done well.
GINDAW

Post by GINDAW »

I'm more than intrigued, but I doubt it will see it all the way through.
That doubt not withstanding, I also highly doubt it will follow the same emotional poignancy that the first one did... though, much as I love 4LS and what they did, there seems to be a margin of ridiculousness that spawned from RAITA's original joke, regardless of the amazing VN that came from it. I don't know that this concept is going to be the "lightning in a bottle" that I'm sure we all hope it will be.

Eh... this could go any way, if they have some talented writers on staff then they don't have too much to worry about.

But everyone thinks they're a great writer. If only all could be as right as me am in statement.
On break, right now. I'll finish it later.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

Lol, not ripping off Katawa Shoujo.
Sure, someone made a great game, so let's milk it for all it's worth and pretend we're doing something creative :roll:

I'm better off waiting to play... whatever I am currently waiting to play.

Instead of watching another bunch of guys trying to outdo people who gave their heart to the original idea simply because they cannot think of something on their own...
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

It's called "Katawa Shoujo Plus", it's not like they're trying to hide it. I don't know whether they got the permission of the original KS devs to do it, though. If they did, then I guess it's cool. If not, then yeah, it's kind of low.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Minister of Gloom wrote:It's called "Katawa Shoujo Plus", it's not like they're trying to hide it. I don't know whether they got the permission of the original KS devs to do it, though. If they did, then I guess it's cool. If not, then yeah, it's kind of low.
Only the setting the same, and they're not ripping off the art, so it's just fan fiction (sort of). A bit low, maybe, but I don't think the devs will mind.
newnar

Post by newnar »

I think it's like a side story in the same universe. Like Fate/Extra vs Fate/Stay Night.

Gonna get get.
GINDAW

Post by GINDAW »

encrypted12345 wrote: Only the setting the same, and they're not ripping off the art, so it's just fan fiction (sort of). A bit low, maybe, but I don't think the devs will mind.
If the devs got upset over this it'd be a little juvenile. There's nothing wrong with a fan game, provided they aren't violating the poor-man's copyright or claiming themselves the fucking kings of the idea.
It's like you said, fan fiction, they're just putting more ambition into it. Hell, they're not even using the same characters. I don't think they're in the wrong, but I'd be upset if they just shit on the concept, as is my only REAL fear at this point.
On break, right now. I'll finish it later.

Post by Guest »

This is just an homage, we're not trying to outdo, one-up, or cash in on the success of Katawa Shoujo.
newnar wrote:I think it's like a side story in the same universe. Like Fate/Extra vs Fate/Stay Night.
It's what this guy said. Nothing more.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Guest wrote:This is just an homage, we're not trying to outdo, one-up, or cash in on the success of Katawa Shoujo.
newnar wrote:I think it's like a side story in the same universe. Like Fate/Extra vs Fate/Stay Night.
It's what this guy said. Nothing more.
The difference is that Fate/Extra was done with the permission of the people who did the original work.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, it's basically just a very elaborate piece of Fanfiction/Fanart, but calling it "KS Plus" is pretty cheeky...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

It makes me wonder if they even bothered asking any of the devs for permission.

I don't know, call it narrow-minded, but I can't bring myself to condone stuff like this. "Mentaru Shoujo" for example at least approaches a similar concept from a different angle with different flavor, but the whole "Plus" for this just irks me to no end.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal