Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

danyo

Re: Ask!

Post by danyo »

Althamus wrote:
maffles wrote:I was wondering if someone could help clarify the specifics of Emi's accident. At the climax of her arc, at the scene graveyard, the intent is to finally reveals all that she was holding back from Hisao and us, but it left me a little confused as to what exactly was revealed.

Emi already knew that Hisao knew her father was dead, even if the details were given by the nurse and not Emi; she'd referred to him in the past tense multiple times in acts 2/3, and her mom also mentioned it every time he talked her (at the track meet, and first and second time you go to her house).

Am I just being daft? Was the reveal just meant to be a *formal* declaration of her past? Was revealing that he died specifically in a car accident and she lost her legs in the same accident that big of an emotional hurdle for her?

Wasn't sure how much spoiler tagging is expected here, so I just put it around everything.
I know Emi's mother at the track always said that Emi's father "wasn't there anymore", which could also mean that he had left them, and could also be why Emi referred to him in the past tense.

But yea, it was pretty obvious (to me) what had happened re: her father.
And revealing that he died in the car accident was a big emotional hurdle for her, but also as big was the fact that she was letting someone in. It's mentioned that she had many friends, but very few close friends that she really trusts. Telling Hisao that was symbolic of her letting him in emotionally.

actually her father didn't die in the same accident iirc, he died on the way to the hospital to see her
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

danyo wrote:actually her father didn't die in the same accident iirc, he died on the way to the hospital to see her
He was in the same accident and mortally injured, and died en route to the hospital. At least, that's how I read it.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
maffles

Post by maffles »

Althamus wrote:
danyo wrote:actually her father didn't die in the same accident iirc, he died on the way to the hospital to see her
He was in the same accident and mortally injured, and died en route to the hospital. At least, that's how I read it.
Yes, this is part of what I was confused about too. That part of the scene in the graveyard is worded poorly imo. Originally when I read it I wasn't sure if she meant that she had been disabled even *before* the car accident.
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

Who is the dude in Lelouch's spot?
asakayosapro

Just desperately curious.

Post by asakayosapro »

I daresay, you put together a project that well matches commercially made ones, and has impressed people who have played it all the world over. Hats off to you guys.

That being said, i wonder exactly what resources you utilized to make this envisioning into a reality masterpiece.

RenPy is obvious, but i ask if knowledge of Python / C++ i.e. having general knowledge in programming beforehand is needed to utilize RenPy well.

Image manipulation: Photoshop = GIMP? or any decent image manipulation program recommendable; opinions on them also welcome.

CG: Hand-drawn or tablet(?)-drawn, and general process of 'touching 'em up' from roughsketch to final. All methodologies with good final results welcome. No, not asking for KS samples, but you are welcome to provide related examples if you want.

Audio: ??? or more like: what program/s did you use, output encoding /format /file.ext , etc. (also, how do i loops sound?)

Animation: I humbly ask the great Mike Inel for recommendations and tips (recommended hardware/equipment, software and techniques) to get started in making good animations.

Thank you all very much for any and all responses.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

HeavenCS wrote:Nicol, I absolutely love your work. Are you up for taking commissions?
I won't accept money. If there's something you'd like me to do I'll gladly do it for free.
asakayosapro wrote:Audio: ??? or more like: what program/s did you use, output encoding /format /file.ext , etc. (also, how do i loops sound?)
I used Finale and FL Studio, and I believe Blue used Sibelius.
Smoky

Re: Just desperately curious.

Post by Smoky »

asakayosapro wrote:Image manipulation: Photoshop = GIMP? or any decent image manipulation program recommendable; opinions on them also welcome.

CG: Hand-drawn or tablet(?)-drawn, and general process of 'touching 'em up' from roughsketch to final. All methodologies with good final results welcome. No, not asking for KS samples, but you are welcome to provide related examples if you want.
Not a KS dev, but, here's my input.

Photoshop is nice, GIMP will do the job and Paint Tool SAI is also really good. They are all pretty much the same but it varies depending on artists and what they feel more comfortable. It's like picking out a sweater that has three colours, each can have a different pro and con (black is slimming but will make you hotter in the sun, white is 'pure' but shows stains).

Drawing from a tablet will almost always be better, since it will already be digital. The normal process is: Draw, refine, colour, refine, finish...refine. Repeat process because you are almost *never* happy with it at the end and you will always want to change something.
"Maybe people like butterfly vomit." - Rin
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:What are the themes for each of the girls? A lot of the songs show up repeatedly in each of the routes so I'm kind of confused about which songs are associated with who.
Emi - Standing Tall
Rin - Parity
Lilly - Concord
Shizune - Student Council
Hanako - Painful History
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:A question for Aura (not strictly related to KS though): how did you get to the point where you can write a story that is thousands of words long in a foreign language, and write it better than a lot of native speakers could do?
In addition to formal education and osmosis through using English every day, I read a lot in English and try to pay attention to how the language is used in literature. I did, and still do, struggle a lot with getting my English to sound good in prose, which is a lot harder than fluency is casual everyday speech.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

McBaggin wrote:Have you guys ever or will consider releasing a detail map of how Yamaku Academy looks?
If anyone ever cares to draw a good map of it, why not. Don't hold your breath though.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:There was a line in the first act: "My parents, I think, were hit harder by the news than I was. They practically had two hemorrhages apiece."

Was that a reference to The Catcher in the Rye?
yes
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

JustAGuy wrote:Where'd you guys get the miscellaneous sounds (people chatting, rain, the airplanes in Lilly's FMV) from? Did you record them yourselves?
They're from random sound libraries an such.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Bokito wrote:Have you ever heard anything from RAITA after you completed the VN based on his sketches?
No.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Althamus wrote:My ask is:
Which font was used for Katawa Shoujo, specifically the logo, but the text ingame as well?
Also, it's obvious that the pictures used ingame are pretty darn huge, as sometimes (Hanako's snooker scene for example) it'll do a closeup of her face which is still in great quality, despite only being maybe 1/10th of the original picture.
I've made a set of desktop pictures for myself from the pictures, but the game runs in an 800x600 window, and my monitor is larger, so they aren't as good a quality as they could be. I was wondering if it were possible to get hold of higher res versions of them.
The font is Playtime with Hot Toddies
We aren't going to release the original images, most likely.
uwa

Post by uwa »

Aura wrote:I did, and still do, struggle a lot with getting my English to sound good in prose, which is a lot harder than fluency is casual everyday speech.
I think that's true for a lot of native speakers, too. What sound okay out loud looks like crap when you can sit there and stare at in on a page.

Does that problem not exist for you when you write prose in Finnish? Or is it just less of a problem?
Emi > Lilly > Misha > Hanako = Rin > Shizune... I might just prefer women who put out a lot.
Mind-stickiness: Hanako > Misha = Shizune > Rin > Emi > Lilly