Help With Getting Over the Game

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

khaos4ng31

Help With Getting Over the Game

Post by khaos4ng31 »

Hi guys, I've played Katawa Shoujo a couple of paths (so far finished Rin's and then Lilly's) and the game left me emotionally scarred due to bringing up some bad memories of my past failed relationships that ended similarly to Lilly's Bad ending. The fact that Lilly's good ending was something that I had wished had happened with one of my past relationships doesn't help at all. So I've been feeling very down (in addition to the down I was already feeling from playing other visual novels/anime in the past) due to the memories and experiences this game brought up. This doesn't make me suicidal, rather it left me feeling disconnected with literally everything, from friends to the real world to even myself. I'm starting to feel better now by stopping the playing of the game, and I really appreciate the uniqueness of the game, but I really need some help with getting my mind out of this.

So my question is how I can help myself get over the feelings of loss resulting from playing the game? Should I completely ignore the game? Should I just play through the rest of the happy endings, sad endings, all endings? Everyone has their own experiences, so I'm expecting different answers, and I'm open to pretty much anything (excluding the rude "Just stop being depressed" which is akin to "Just stop being schizophrenic"). I also hope that being diagnosed with a personality disorder (schizoaffective) doesn't play too much into this.

On a side note, 4LS made a really great game. It was a lot better than I expected from a visual novel (and a lot goddamned more depressing in terms of how real everything seemed).

Please halp. I'm currently about to play through it again (going for Hanako this time).
ThreeStep

Re: Help With Getting Over the Game

Post by ThreeStep »

If you want to get over KS, I'd start with not playing it again and go finding something else to do. That's just me though.
Ivan The Mouse

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

Laugh at the memes, comrade.

That should make you feel better.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
newnar

Post by newnar »

Ivan The Mouse wrote:Laugh at the memes, comrade.

I think some are counter-effective.
Ivan The Mouse

Post by Ivan The Mouse »

newnar wrote:
Ivan The Mouse wrote:Laugh at the memes, comrade.

I think some are counter-effective.
Indeed. But that's the point.
Warning:

This poster is prone to fits of auto-pilot typing, in which he will make posts with butchered grammar and sentence structure without knowing it.
khaos4ng31

Post by khaos4ng31 »

The strange thing is that everytime I keep avoiding the game, I get pulled back into it for desire of the rest of the storyline. When I'm playing it, I don't get depressed, actually I feel rather accomplished, it's only when I finish a storyline that I feel like utter failure. I need someone to give me a hard slap. Now. This game drives me insane, more so than any other visual novel I've played.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Some say that avoiding the game is good, but I actually recommend finishing the other paths: it helps get a sense of closure. Hanako's bad ending is especially important.

Other than that, one common coping mechanism is to find something that needs to be done to improve your life -we all have them- and either do it or, if it's more like a longer process, start that process. I can vouch for its effectiveness, and it seems to have helped a lot of other people.
GaseousMask

Post by GaseousMask »

But in all seriousness, I was hit pretty hard, especially after playing Hanako's storyline but its more like trying to learn from the experience rather than.... i'm having a Rin moment right now.... damn
Tezzeret

Post by Tezzeret »

I think the best advice you'll get is to stop playing and busy yourself. Find something else to preoccupy your time. Just my opinion.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Here is what I did and will normally do in situations like this. I'll think of 3-6 things I used to enjoy doing, get a 6-sided dice, and let it roll. Whatever the dice landed on I do it. It's a great distraction for me and it could help you, I've mentioned this as a tried-and-true method for me on several other topics with a few different responses about it. As for me at this point, I have completed the gallery including the bonus pic and now it just feels like I'm beating the dead horse by continuing to read KS.

P.S. In regards to khaos4ng31;

Titus

Post by Titus »

I try to do manly things to make me stop being such an emotional wreck, like arm wrestling.

:lol:
What if life had a soundtrack similar to Katawa Shoujo's ?
GaseousMask

Post by GaseousMask »

Titus wrote:I try to do manly things to make me stop being such an emotional wreck, like arm wrestling.

:lol:
manly picnic perhaps?
guest2

Post by guest2 »

My suggestion is to seek therapy if these old things aren't resolved yet and something like a visual novel or game can bring them back up. It helps!
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Get a game where you blow shit up like an RTS or something. Or something that allows you to kill a large number of enemies or that shit.

If you want some 'humor' to link it with this, look up Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy (circa 2000), pick one of your female soldier and rename her to Hanako. Equip her with a flamethrower and let the flame war begin :p
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

it gets a lot better after you gey 100% completion