Katawa Crash (FAQ, DL link, and to-do log first post)

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

T7b

Re: Katawa Crash (FAQ, DL link, and to-do log first post)

Post by T7b »

Hey gainare,

First of all, great job with the game. I'm really enjoying it and messing with it quite a lot, which I'm comfortably calling beta testing.

I read your last response :
gainare_tottori wrote:
Shilag wrote:Please make it so that you can access the pause/menu, bgm, sfx and Reset at any time, even during animations.
For various technical reasons this would be extremely long and bothersome to code and probably introduce a lot of unwanted bugs on top of it all, so I can safely say the pause menu is not going to be changed from its current setup.
The ability to pause during specials was the very first and most obvious thing that occurred to me, and although I can understand how difficult it would be to code, the specials are where people would want to pause the most. Instead of having the Menu available, possibly you could add a pause key, or another similar way to pause the game without the menu because this would really help the games usability and playability.

Although the pause function during specials is hardly a major annoyance playing, the need to jump through the Main Menu again after every. single. game. is frustrating the hell out of me. Why do I need to Select Main Menu. Start Game. Profile. every. single. time. I. start. the. game. over??? Why isn't there a reset from the final screen? The reset from the menu is mostly something not needed IMO, but after a failed game (where for example you launch and immediately get stopped) I want to be able to reset with a single click. It also could be a key press you program (similar to above) and I think this would really be a feature that others would echo as being more user friendly.

These two things are more usability issues, and aren't really bugs, but some other things I've discovered definitely appear to be bugs to me.

The first issue I've located has to do with the pig bounce, in combination with Hanako's Panic mode. When you bounce into Hanako and start her "Panic!" it still costs a piggy bounce even though you should've been striking her character and not the ground. It also means that if you do strike Hanako, that your speed will be slowed by the ground if you don't have a pig bounce. Also, when Panic mode is active and you strike another character which Hanako blocks, it also still costs a pig bounce, and the resulting striking the ground slows Hisao down. Is this intended? I would've thought that her panic mode wasn't intended to reduce speed, or cost greased pigs, and that striking a character even in panic mode wouldn't be counted as a ground strike excepting on a ground rebound hit.

The second thing that I feel qualifies as a bug is the power meter. The two sides of the triangle that makes up the power meter are not the same length. This makes it appear that 45 degrees is closer to the top half of the meter than it actually is. The bottom (105 pixels) is 1 or 2 pixels longer in the quarter circle than the left side is (103 pixels), and also the interior border is also different sized by a single pixel (8 pixels vs 7 pixels) between the bottom and left side. This makes the angle it's giving correct, but the appearance of it to be completely incorrect to what the eye of the player expects it to be. I can upload an image displaying this if necessary, but this seems like something that should be easily correctable.

The third thing that I feel qualifies as a bug is when using this flash exe in full screen (which likely won't be visible if it's embedded on a webpage) it draws outside the screen area for nearly all of the specials, for when Hisao leaves the visible area or bounces, and when characters are knocked over or perform their actions. I don't know if this additional drawing outside the screen area can make the flash application slow down when embedded onto a webpage, or also cause it to use additional memory it doesn't need to, but it surely results in additional slowdown when playing full screen. I installed this game on an older laptop, and it was extremely slow compared to my hefty desktop machine (1 gb ram vs 6 gb), but when playing full screen on my desktop the slowdown was noticable, even though slight.

Hope this feedback helps, and I really do enjoy the game a ton. Keep up the great work.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

If we're talking about bugs and glitches, then yeah; let me second the thing about the angle indicator having the wrong shape. It makes hitting the skill shot very annoying, since you're aiming for 45 degrees but you can't do that if the line is at 45 degrees.

Also, on Linux the graphics tend to flicker during special events. I bring this up because I think it might be related to whatever is causing the game to draw outside the visible area during fullscreen: fixing one may fix the other.
asakayosapro

Post by asakayosapro »

One does not just Chuck Norris into Mordor Leaderboard (without proof, of course..)

I started out a session with Katawa Crash, and i thought it'd end like any ordinary session.. what with one multiball event killed off along with my extra life.. but lo and behold, i had the extremely rare luck to start Multiball while Shizune was dancing to the RUMBA.

...Then, all kinds of crazy epicness happened.
Accelerator would be proud.

Breaking the Logical Barrier @Mach 1 !

RIN BINS EVERYWHERE

八門遁甲;休門:解!!!
Hachimon Tonkou; Kyumon: KAIIII !!
(Eight Inner Gates; Healing Gate [#2]: RELEASE!)

I don't have the heart to do homework! Also, KUBOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIN'AI CIRCULATION?
>DAT LOOK on Emi's face
cracks me up every time

IT JUST WOULD NOT STOP
Hanako panicking FOR GOOD REASON....at least, I think.

This is insanity... this is madness!
...Madness?
THIS ! IS ! SPARTAAAAAAAAAAA!!! (WAHAHA~)
also
This is the card I have been waiting for!
Believe in the Heart of the Cards!

It ended in the most fail way possible...Fukou da..

Yeah, that all just happened less than an hour ago. I can has leaderboard spot now?

Side question for gainare_tottori
I came REEEALY CLOSE to hitting Misha several times while OMG PANIC MISHA was up - while this entire epicness happened.. I can't help but wonder if

* Misha would UDW just one / all of my multiballs
* Misha would just eat the clone anyway
* game #div/0
Last edited by asakayosapro on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TodoDeygulash

Post by TodoDeygulash »

First, this game is large amounts of fun.
Second, I can't seem to get the stand alone player to work. I try to open it but... Nothing happens. What might be the problem?
asakayosapro

Post by asakayosapro »

TodoDeygulash wrote:First, this game is large amounts of fun.
Second, I can't seem to get the stand alone player to work. I try to open it but... Nothing happens. What might be the problem?
Either update your flash player or just go to the online version. Link here on the pics above (URL / Address bar)
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Anyone got a good strategy for getting Misha-blocks (for Flambe Runaway)? I've now got every achievement except this and the bugged ones.
gainare_tottori

Post by gainare_tottori »

Zoram wrote:Since there's Rika already, why not her too?
Main reason is that her sprite from the original AFD fake screenshot is cut off too low by the text bar to use.
Nekken wrote:It looks like the trick is that you have to hit Shizune when you could get the skill shot. Whether or not you actually get the skillshot makes no difference, as long as you're in the right range.
asdf = Max launch into Shizune (the technical condition is that you have to STUDENT COUNCIL GET at 90m having hit nothing at all since launch -- wahaha, AED, the ground, a character, whatever -- the only exception to this is the skillshot).
T7b wrote: Instead of having the Menu available, possibly you could add a pause key, or another similar way to pause the game without the menu because this would really help the games usability and playability.
The pausing and un-pausing are the source of the major technical issues more than the menu part of it, so that doesn't really get us anywhere different from that other response.
Why isn't there a reset from the final screen?
I sort of repurposed the reset button on the report card for another (disabled in 8.36 public) thing, and then never got around to redesigning the report card to put a 3rd button on.
1.0 will see the glorious return of the reset button though.

When you bounce into Hanako and start her "Panic!" it still costs a piggy bounce even though you should've been striking her character and not the ground. It also means that if you do strike Hanako, that your speed will be slowed by the ground if you don't have a pig bounce. Also, when Panic mode is active and you strike another character which Hanako blocks, it also still costs a pig bounce, and the resulting striking the ground slows Hisao down. Is this intended? I would've thought that her panic mode wasn't intended to reduce speed, or cost greased pigs, and that striking a character even in panic mode wouldn't be counted as a ground strike excepting on a ground rebound hit.
Hanako activates without contact; she's a pass-through character. You don't lose pigs from hitting her but since she does not redirect you upwards you go through her (or her block) and hit the ground, which acts as hitting the ground normally does.
This makes the angle it's giving correct, but the appearance of it to be completely incorrect to what the eye of the player expects it to be. I can upload an image displaying this if necessary, but this seems like something that should be easily correctable.
I always thought that looked a little off but never could say why. Will see if I can tighten that up for 1.0.
The third thing that I feel qualifies as a bug is when using this flash exe in full screen (which likely won't be visible if it's embedded on a webpage) it draws outside the screen area for nearly all of the specials, for when Hisao leaves the visible area or bounces, and when characters are knocked over or perform their actions. I don't know if this additional drawing outside the screen area can make the flash application slow down when embedded onto a webpage, or also cause it to use additional memory it doesn't need to, but it surely results in additional slowdown when playing full screen. I installed this game on an older laptop, and it was extremely slow compared to my hefty desktop machine (1 gb ram vs 6 gb), but when playing full screen on my desktop the slowdown was noticable, even though slight.
KC is not really intended to be played in full screen mode. 1.0 will lock the resolution to 700x400 (and mask the 'outside' areas).

asakayosapro wrote:I can has leaderboard spot now?
Unfortunately the leaderboard is more for testing leaderboard ideas than housing a complete list of KC history (also it requires the authentication code generator disabled in the 8.36 public version to, like, even work anyway). If it helps you're the first legit looking 300k to me though. (besides the old 8.16 infinite subterranean rolling bug, but never mind that)

re: Misha during multiball, pretty much anything that would set off a gameplay animation (Thurman, UDW, Yukkuri) results in a multiball kill.
<Doomfest> Oh god what is art
<Juno> Baby don't hurt me
<duanemoody> don't hurt me
<Juno> No moe
asakayosapro

Post by asakayosapro »

gainare_tottori wrote:
This makes the angle it's giving correct, but the appearance of it to be completely incorrect to what the eye of the player expects it to be. I can upload an image displaying this if necessary, but this seems like something that should be easily correctable.
I always thought that looked a little off but never could say why. Will see if I can tighten that up for 1.0.
I also noticed that it somewhat looked a little 'off' so i did some MSPAINT pixel checking, and here is what i find.
Did this by pressing print screen, pasting it in paint, then magnifying to 8x (the pencil is set to smallest size i.e. 1 pixel). I suggest using an LCD monitor at native resolution when doing this so it will be seen pixel-perfect.

I would suggest making the angle indicator a solid line, adding a white or colored line for the 0 and 90 degree straight from the angle center like in the picture above and / or maybe adjusting, coloring (something other than the possible meter angle area's color) or removing the excess margin/s.

I don;t know if it is intentional or not, but there is also a very small delay between clicking and the actual activation of the angle meter; i'd estimate it somewhere between 50 to 100ms. I had it down like that because i would hit the mouse button when the angle line was bouncing up from somewhere like 5-10 degrees and it would stop at 35-50 degrees. Take it from a Pangya player who knows if his spacebar / keyboard is laggy bad when it does that.

There's also that problem with activating WAHAHAs and AEDs when traveling at high speeds; i find myself drumming the left mouse button lightning-fast with TWO fingers just to catch Hisao on time... And so i wonder how the 'bullet time' feature will work.
gainare_tottori wrote:
KC is not really intended to be played in full screen mode. 1.0 will lock the resolution to 700x400 (and mask the 'outside' areas).
hmm, so it will be small like NANACA? Somehow feels bad man, but if it is really needed to reduce the lag, go with it.

Maybe because of me playing with a 1440 x 900 widescreen monitor at native res; i notice the ends of the scrolling frames appearing at the (mostly) left / right side. Especially obvious while on multiball. ANd you can see on my non-multiball caps; there is a discolored 'margin' on both sides..

The only problems i have so far with it is the angle actuation i have mentioned before.
I did notice that while on multiball (Yeah, i play it on maximized window like all the screencaps above & i like high-resolution stuff), whenever a special animation pops up, it would lag like, 20-10 fps lag. It may have to do with the sheer amount of graphics being displayed, or it's just me running on integrated video (the 9400GT this system originally had is just waiting to have time for a graphics and memory chip reball by me, alongside a 60GB PS3). Otherwise, it doesn't really lag or anything unless I record it with BSR.

And a minor note; the 'next character radar' does not really help much at high speeds but since there will be a 'bullet time' feature this can be disregarded..somewhat.
gainare_tottori wrote: Unfortunately the leaderboard is more for testing leaderboard ideas than housing a complete list of KC history (also it requires the authentication code generator disabled in the 8.36 public version to, like, even work anyway). If it helps you're the first legit looking 300k to me though. (besides the old 8.16 infinite subterranean rolling bug, but never mind that)
re: Misha during multiball, pretty much anything that would set off a gameplay animation (Thurman, UDW, Yukkuri) results in a multiball kill.
Thus the multiple screencaps. Didn't want all that to go to waste >.<

I was supposed to record it on BSR but it kept giving me problems; video quality sucked, no audio and over 9000 dialog boxes to click just to get started.

UDW while multiball and having them all sent to space would have been epic rare. Sadly, it's now just a dream -_- Though, i'd probably tempt fate and try doing it anyway for the lulz
CrashPlayer9001 wrote:Can someone explain to me what is this bar ? What changes when it is full? I can't seem to find any information.
That is supposedly for the 'bullet time' system (still in development) which, i think, slows the game down when Hisao appears on screen, allowing you to use WAHAHA or AED on time. Read the first post... For other questions, go to the game's wiki; link to it also on the first post.
Last edited by asakayosapro on Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
CrashPlayer9001

Post by CrashPlayer9001 »

Can someone explain to me what is this bar ? What changes when it is full? I can't seem to find any information.

CrashPlayer90001

Post by CrashPlayer90001 »

CrashPlayer9001 wrote:Can someone explain to me what is this bar ? What changes when it is full? I can't seem to find any information.

Yeah and 1 more question i forgot.. What does Katawa Points mean? I sometimes stumble a text saying i don't have enough Katawa Points.
Last edited by Silentcook on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DON'T quote images that were just posted, people...
asakayosapro

Post by asakayosapro »

>Katawa Points
Some sort of AF'D joke. Please lurk more ^_^
Zoram

Post by Zoram »

gainare_tottori wrote:
Main reason is that her sprite from the original AFD fake screenshot is cut off too low by the text bar to use.
I see. She could at least get an appearance when the message "not enough Katawa Points" appears - not unlike when you hit Naomi and Natsume appears :lol:
SliverGod

Post by SliverGod »

Ha, fantastic.
"The question isnt 'Who is going to let me?' The question is 'Who is going to stop me?'"
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Zoram wrote:
gainare_tottori wrote:
I see. She could at least get an appearance when the message "not enough Katawa Points" appears - not unlike when you hit Naomi and Natsume appears :lol:
I could see something like that, actually: she starts to rise up from the bottom of the screen during "Super Boost" as though there's going to be some kind of combo attack, and then poofs away when "Not Enough Katawa Points" shows up (and before any part of her sprite that would have been under the text box could appear).
GiveMeTheKCrash

Post by GiveMeTheKCrash »

asakayosapro wrote:
I started out a session with Katawa Crash, and i thought it'd end like any ordinary session.. what with one multiball event killed off along with my extra life.. but lo and behold, i had the extremely rare luck to start Multiball while Shizune was dancing to the RUMBA.
Well I had that 4-5 times now. Every time I died in less than 20k progress. Rare luck is that you survived that long. I always fucking die with Multiball most of the time because I just get slowed to death or hit Unlimited Drill Works. SIngle ball default speed is >100 - 250 but with Multiball I barely scratch 60 max.

Once I had a weird bug where it didn't work. I got 2/2 Clone Capture and hit Shizune on her Rumba ,her normal special wasn't activated at that point. Obama shot me away. (No Hanako activated) The next target I hit , it was a one of the girls, activated the Multiball. Weird.