A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Would you watch Katawa Shoujo anime?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 526

kingshivan

Re: Would you watch Katawa Shoujo anime?

Post by kingshivan »

Absolutely!

However, I doubt it would happen for one reason and one reason only-

The illnesses in KS have names.

Kanon, clannad, Angel Beats!, and so many others... how many times does an anime have an actual named illness? No, it's ALWAYS something untreatable, uncurable (except by magic), and always, ALWAYS unnamed. In KS, we have blindness, deafness, burns, aputations, and Chronic Dysrhythmia. Nothing romantic about a named disease, I guess...
Zig_Zac

Post by Zig_Zac »

So... those who voted no, that they wouldn't watch an anime version of KS... why did you say no?

PS: I love my anime... :)
newnar

Post by newnar »

Maybe. I just don't want KS to get screwed over by a lousy anime rendition. Seen too many fail animes for me to ignore the possibility.
Chronopolize

Post by Chronopolize »

Honestly, I'd like to see a stunning voice acted version of KS, it actually has a more then marginal chance of happening.
geekahedron

Post by geekahedron »

Sgt_Frog wrote:My question is...how does a VN with multiple endings get turned into a series?
I have to think back to the way Shuffle! was turned from a VN into an anime, one of the first I personally became really attached to. Each of the girls' stories were (mostly) explored; even though only one ending was chosen the topics from the original game were covered pretty well. It would take quite a bit of massaging to get these stories to work together like that, but I can see it happening.
Would you come with me if I ran off to be a pirate?

Scene-by-scene flowcharts: Image 100% complete [ 100% completion walkthrough ]
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

I'd love to see it, even if it doesn't live up to the original VN. My biggest concern would be the voice acting, though. It would have to be good, or I don't think I could get through it. >.<"
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
masuda

Post by masuda »

yes, but i hope they would go thru all the good ends (^^,)
<3 Hanako <3 Lilly <3 Shizune <3

russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

how do you handle multiple endings? dont have any endings at all. its a harem anime where hisao never actually gets with any of the girls. i think that leaves the most open for exploration of the story. alternatively, tone down kenjis crazy (just a tiny bit, enough to make him dateable) add a third male main character, and pair em off to 3 of the girls.
danyo

Post by danyo »

I'm one of the people that voted no. The main reason being that I absolutely loved KS, and don't want an anime to ruin the image of KS for me. Even if it's well done, it's gonna be really hard to bring out the same emotions as the VN did.

Another reason would be that they'd have to make a "correct" path, wich would end up making a lot of people disappointed if it's not the girl they wanted to be picked.
ICEheaven102

Post by ICEheaven102 »

Hell to the yes I would.
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Watch it? Probably, but I don't think it could be anything special.

The appeal of KS is the well-developed stories revolving around these high-school romances. If a KS anime were a running episodic, it would wind up being one of those stupid reluctant-harem-anime tropes. If it had a consistant story following the relationship with ONE of the girls, it'd piss off fans of all the others. If Hisao is a complete player, it'd piss off EVERYONE.

The only way it could be consistant with the source material would be to have multiple story arcs, none of which is considered 'canon', and if they did it that way you might as well just be playing the game.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Saucium

Post by Saucium »

Here's an idea: make the non-existent Yuuko or Misha routes as the story arc for the anime!

Of course, it may still turn off the fans of the five main girls, but at least no one will be able to gloat that one of them got the spotlight at the expense of the others...
kingshivan

Post by kingshivan »

This is my first VN, so I dunno how it was with Kanon/Clannad/etc, but the characters here still strike familiar chords, and going with that feeling, I'd have to say that Emi would be the likely choice. Shizune is simply too competitive, and Misha will always come across as mostly her mouthpiece and an amusement except for rare moments. Rin is fascinating and hilarious, but is mostly good, imo, as an excuse for Hisao and Emi to have a small social circle. I can't really see her as romance material yet, maybe later. Lilly is the classic Traditional Beauty: calm, pleasant, gorgeous. Which is why she can't be the final choice in an anime; it's just how it works lol. Hanako is so much like Nodoka from Negima! it's frightening, and I believe she'd be perfect in the same role as Nodoka - the half-attempted cutesy-shy romance. Yuuko is interesting, but definitely not the right fit, imo.

No, in the end, for an anime version, Emi is the only choice: she represents what Hisao is limited from with her intense physical enthusiasm, she's the least, culturally, physically impaired of any of the characters, enabling the audience to empathize with her the most (I imagine, anyway. From examining my own feelings, I feel like losing my lower legs wouldn't be nearly as bad as losing your arms, and when looking at Emi, there's a better sense of wholeness, which increases your empathy for her, much as physical beauty increases a human's willingness to help that person), , and she's easily the most open and accessible character in the game. Lilly is too aloof, Shizune is to dominating, Rin is too weird, and Hanako is too shy. Overcoming any of these traits is what makes it fun in a game, but in anime, at least for myself, I get the fuzzies when I see Ayu tackle Yuuichi and they banter easily, and when Nagisa interacts with Tomoya (to a lesser extent, although I still can't see Tomoya with any of the other girls more than her: maybe Kyou or Tomoyo as in the specials, but they felt wierd).

At any rate, such is my logic. Emi's the clear choice.

... it occurs to me everything I said is based on just the opening part of the game, so my opinion counts for nothing. I should delete this post... no! I'll leave it as a testament to my idiocy! That'll learn me.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

Mmm... I don't know, I'd prefer an adaptation like short, episodic sketches or a feature film, not the typical 13/26 episode anime.
As on how to handle the various routes... I watched a part of the Higurashi (When They Cry) anime without knowing beforehand it started as a VN, and having the plot rewind itself and then starting an alternate timeline is a good idea. Imagine that: Hisao finds a girl, gets love and affection, suddenly goes all HNNNGG and dies, then wakes up inexplicably to revive his months at Yamaku High, much like in Groundhog Day!
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
KSmaniac

Post by KSmaniac »

Yea I would but... without H-scenes... yea, It would be better :D.