Piano Sheet Music?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Snow_Storm

Re: Piano Sheet Music?

Post by Snow_Storm »

mprasil wrote:Alright, so I've got a bit of bad news. Romance in Andante II is in the key of Ab major. Now that's not nearly as hectic as Ab minor, but I know how much you guys all hate the whole Ab shebang. So here's what I'll do. I'll transcribe one version in Ab major, as it sounds, and I'll transcribe another into whatever major key you guys agree on that would be easiest. Fair deal?
Ha ha! Ab major on the violin isn't as brutal as Ab Minor. I can deal with that!
EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Heh. "Black" scales don't feel natural to me at all. Lots of note searching. Ab minor is ridiculous.
mprasil

Post by mprasil »

Alright! It's done! It's here! Romance in Andante II!

PDF:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9bw4103ix3665hr

MIDI:
http://www.mediafire.com/?74grpys6e16ds4a

Kay, so just a few things:

First, I'm sorry that the MIDI sounds so choppy and disconnected. Obviously you would use the pedal on the piano, and would play it much smoother on any other instrument, and you would also know which notes to accent and which not to, as all of you have probably listen to the song before.

Second, THIS SONG IS REALLY HARD. Bar 32 is virtually impossible to play. I'd suggest just playing a simple trill on that bar instead of trying to learn that monster.

Third, bars 58 to the end are also very difficult. While I'm still gonna go ahead and try to learn them, such is probably not the case for those of you who play other instruments. I'm sure you can find a way to simplify those few bars. If not, I can always make a simplified version if too many people are struggling.

Happy times!
-My real name is actually Misha.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

EvilDragon wrote:Heh. "Black" scales don't feel natural to me at all. Lots of note searching. Ab minor is ridiculous.
It's not bad. Practice those scales!
mprasil wrote:Second, THIS SONG IS REALLY HARD. Bar 32 is virtually impossible to play. I'd suggest just playing a simple trill on that bar instead of trying to learn that monster.

Third, bars 58 to the end are also very difficult. While I'm still gonna go ahead and try to learn them, such is probably not the case for those of you who play other instruments. I'm sure you can find a way to simplify those few bars. If not, I can always make a simplified version if too many people are struggling.
That kind of passage seems pretty common in a lot of songs I've seen. People (read: not me) seem to do okay with it
Last edited by guest2 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katawa Shoujo Piano Sheet Music Project
"Jellyfish are like people to me" - Me
"OH GOD MAH DRILLS" - yipyapper
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

mprasil wrote:Bar 32 is virtually impossible to play.
No. Use fingering: 231234121232124321321312. You can make liberal use of rubato here, too. Playing it in strict time won't do it any justice. I'd reccomending ritting until the high Ab, then accelling until the start of the next measure.

Good job on the transcription though!
mprasil

Post by mprasil »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:No. Use fingering: 231234121232124321321312. You can make liberal use of rubato here, too. Playing it in strict time won't do it any justice. I'd reccomending ritting until the high Ab, then accelling until the start of the next measure.

Good job on the transcription though!
Haha! I probably shouldn't have said "virtually impossible". Wrong choice of words ;). I was going to try to learn that part anyhow, and you just made it a hell of a lot easier by telling me a sick fingering! Thanks man! And, of course, you can clearly hear the rubato in the original composition, that's true, but I was just to damn lazy to actually account for it in the transcription and have all those ugly triplets and what not, so I just decided to plug them in as 16ths and hope that everyone got the message. Playing them in time sounds ugly, as the MIDI proves.
guest2 wrote:That kind of passage seems pretty common in a lot of songs I've seen. People (read: not me) seem to do okay with it
Not sure if you're talking about bar 32 or the 58's, but yeah, it's not too hard to play for most advanced players. However, it's not too easy to do on different instruments, and many people here do not play the piano or are simply casual players that are not advanced. Heck, a lot of people here don't like/can't read Ab minor! Ab minor is a dream to me ;)! So I have no problem catering to non-piano players and beginner musicians and making a simpler version.
Orange

Post by Orange »

mprasil wrote: Not sure if you're talking about bar 32 or the 58's, but yeah, it's not too hard to play for most advanced players. However, it's not too easy to do on different instruments, and many people here do not play the piano or are simply casual players that are not advanced. Heck, a lot of people here don't like/can't read Ab minor! Ab minor is a dream to me ;)! So I have no problem catering to non-piano players and beginner musicians and making a simpler version.
Yeah, the double-stops starting at 58 would certainly be a pain in the ass for a single violin to play. Luckily, I switched over to piano. :D
guest2

Post by guest2 »

mprasil wrote:Not sure if you're talking about bar 32 or the 58's, but yeah, it's not too hard to play for most advanced players. However, it's not too easy to do on different instruments, and many people here do not play the piano or are simply casual players that are not advanced. Heck, a lot of people here don't like/can't read Ab minor! Ab minor is a dream to me ;)! So I have no problem catering to non-piano players and beginner musicians and making a simpler version.
Bolth, I guess. They both look pretty scaly, and I see it pop up in lots of classical-ey (I use that term broadly) and some non-classical stuff (songs from other VNs come to mind).

Yeah I'm not saying you shouldn't. I guess I was just thrown by your "virtually impossible" comment, too, but it seemed like scales were the first thing to master before anything else when I was taking piano lessons.
mprasil

Post by mprasil »

Orange wrote:Yeah, the double-stops starting at 58 would certainly be a pain in the ass for a single violin to play. Luckily, I switched over to piano. :D
^ MY freaking maaaan! You're a champ, bud. But if you could actually learn the whole song on violin, including those parts, that'd be so epic!! Good luck with the piano, though!!
guest2 wrote:Bolth, I guess. They both look pretty scaly, and I see it pop up in lots of classical-ey (I use that term broadly) and some non-classical stuff (songs from other VNs come to mind).

Yeah I'm not saying you shouldn't. I guess I was just thrown by your "virtually impossible" comment, too, but it seemed like scales were the first thing to master before anything else when I was taking piano lessons.
You're right, they do pop up a lot in classical music. I'm definitely a classical player, maybe that's why I love the whole Ab combo so much. It's very frequently found in Chopin, Beethoven, etc. Plus it sounds the nicest, IMO. And you're right, scales were the first thing I was taught when I took lessons, as well. Tedious, boring, annoying, but SO worth it! Helps with finding good fingering, and it helps with faster reading too!
DRKO

Post by DRKO »

That's because scales are the building blocks of all music. Most every piece of music is based on some sort of scale, whether major, minor, whole-tone, or some other not-often-used mode.

Learning the circle of fifths greatly improved my playing ability; knowing the patterns music will fall in makes reading music much quicker and easier.
thisismyname09

Post by thisismyname09 »

Animenz wrote:Hello there, again!
Animenz here.

Since the Soundtrack was released, I thought I could make more sheets for all the piano players here. So here they are, I'm planning to do transcribe every (piano) track of the Soundtrack. I've made four sheets so far. Enjoy!

Breathlessly (pdf)
http://www.mediafire.com/?8hzu1128t98v88e
midi:
http://www.mediafire.com/?m3nfkcvjnaf1agr

Comfort (pdf)
http://www.mediafire.com/?c5ukbdq968gzurm
midi:
http://www.mediafire.com/?104o37egv2y05s2

Letting my heart speak (pdf)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ibz3cvj1ccqjqhk
midi:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c5fs4mvo17r9g0y

Concord (pdf)
http://www.mediafire.com/?t4t7agwdbfukzjt
midi:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9bdf17ocqcu4lin

Concord was probably the most difficult one to transcribe, since there are two voices in the original track: the piano and the cello. I did my best to find a compromise.

Also, I'm planning to upload a video on youtube, playing the entire Katawa Shoujo Soundtrack, as soon as all sheets are transcribed.
Happy playing! :D
The links for "comfort," both the sheet and midi, have been broken since I first saw this post. Did anyone else download them before they broke, or is there an alternate link?
guest2

Post by guest2 »

mprasil wrote:You're right, they do pop up a lot in classical music. I'm definitely a classical player, maybe that's why I love the whole Ab combo so much. It's very frequently found in Chopin, Beethoven, etc. Plus it sounds the nicest, IMO. And you're right, scales were the first thing I was taught when I took lessons, as well. Tedious, boring, annoying, but SO worth it! Helps with finding good fingering, and it helps with faster reading too!
The one that came to mind for me was first movement of Mozart's two-piano sonata. It's like scale city.
mprasil

Post by mprasil »

DRKO wrote:That's because scales are the building blocks of all music. Most every piece of music is based on some sort of scale, whether major, minor, whole-tone, or some other not-often-used mode.

Learning the circle of fifths greatly improved my playing ability; knowing the patterns music will fall in makes reading music much quicker and easier.
Dude, totally! The circle of fifths is the first thing I learned, even before taking lessons! It was programmed into my old electronic keyboard, and it helped a ton!
guest2 wrote:The one that came to mind for me was first movement of Mozart's two-piano sonata. It's like scale city.
Yeah, that song is scale after scale after scale. Not to mention two pianos! Scales x2
EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

guest2 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Heh. "Black" scales don't feel natural to me at all. Lots of note searching. Ab minor is ridiculous.
It's not bad. Practice those scales!
If only I had that kind of time! :(

BTW, wouldn't 6/8 be a better meter choice for Romance In Andante II? :?
SilvaChocobo

Post by SilvaChocobo »

Can't wait to start mastering Breathlessly on Ocarina!