Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Solovki

Re: Ask!

Post by Solovki »

Question for the devs.

First off, thank you so much for the work that you did on this game, it quickly became on of my most favorite games that i had ever played. Additionally, it was great to find genuinely good people out in world who asked for nothing but that we donate to charity for playing your VN.

My question, KS was my first VN and I was looking for your suggestions to which other VN's would be good transitions from KS? I just hit 100% on KS and I am looking for another way that could be just as enjoyable to spend my time. Thank you once again, text cannot display how much i appreciate the work that all of you did for this project.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

As said in previous answers, it was never intended for Iwanako to play a part after the prelude, asides from the letter she sends. The only actual appearance she ever makes is in the very beginning, where we see only her back. However, just out of curiosity, was any art fully portraying her appearance ever made, even conceptually?

Also, was she ever given a surname? Or rather, was it written on the envelope she sent to Hisao?
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
DaBeijingKing

Post by DaBeijingKing »

which anime characters have made a cameo appearance in KS?

Post by Guest »

First, I'd like to thank everyone involved in the making of Katawa Shoujo for creating such a great game.

On to my questions:

1. Was there any material (scenes, subplots, art, music, game features) which didn't make it into the final game, which you really hated having to cut? Perhaps some ideas that the team came up with, which had to be scrapped due to changes in direction, time constrictions, technical limitations, or whatever. How would they have been implemented if they had been kept, and how might KS have been different if they had stayed in?

2. Which character(s) went through the most change, in terms of back story, personality, and how her path played out, from concept stage to the final release?

3. Why wasn't the Nurse name revealed? Were there any names considered during development?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Theeyebrowsofdoom wrote:I can't put my finger on which ones, but in some routes Yuuko is aspiring to enter college, in others she's already an undergraduate, if I didn't totally misunderstand all that. What's up with that?
Likely just a script error.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Neon Vanguard wrote:More questions. Huzzah.

1. Aura, you mentioned that writing is damned hard. In what sense? In trying to convert usual prose into a kind of format thtat's more appropriate for a VN? (As in, less imagery, more introspection?)

2. What exactly was the most difficult part of the character art? Deciding one what they looked like, actually getting them just right... or those CGs?

3. Did you want to have more choices for the player, or is the amount currently in game what you were aiming for?
1. I meant that writing well is a difficult thing to do. Anyone can string words together, but making them be worth something is hard.
3. I think I like choices the most in the writing team, I think KS could've used more than it has.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:
Aura wrote: in reality double arm amputees can do almost everything from dressing up to driving a car by themselves.
Wow, I dont know how they could do something as basic as getting dressed, nevermind driving. Thats impressive. I would think not having arms/hands would restrict people wuite a bit.

Do you guys know how things are with the Japanese people now ? Im curious how they think it is, considering the issues the name caused.
Mostly people who care about the game lament that it's not translated.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Solovki wrote:Question for the devs.

First off, thank you so much for the work that you did on this game, it quickly became on of my most favorite games that i had ever played. Additionally, it was great to find genuinely good people out in world who asked for nothing but that we donate to charity for playing your VN.

My question, KS was my first VN and I was looking for your suggestions to which other VN's would be good transitions from KS? I just hit 100% on KS and I am looking for another way that could be just as enjoyable to spend my time. Thank you once again, text cannot display how much i appreciate the work that all of you did for this project.
There's a VN recommendation thread somewhere in the public forums.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Mahorfeus wrote:As said in previous answers, it was never intended for Iwanako to play a part after the prelude, asides from the letter she sends. The only actual appearance she ever makes is in the very beginning, where we see only her back. However, just out of curiosity, was any art fully portraying her appearance ever made, even conceptually?

Also, was she ever given a surname? Or rather, was it written on the envelope she sent to Hisao?
There's no design of Iwanako. Even in "fanart" the staff artists have done, her face is never shown. She does have a semi-canon surname, but it's not showing on the envelope picture.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

DaBeijingKing wrote:which anime characters have made a cameo appearance in KS?
Uhh, not many. The classroom CG has Ritsu from K-ON as retcameo and Ikuno from TH2, and there's C.C. in one CG's background. That's all I remember off the top of my head.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:First, I'd like to thank everyone involved in the making of Katawa Shoujo for creating such a great game.

On to my questions:

1. Was there any material (scenes, subplots, art, music, game features) which didn't make it into the final game, which you really hated having to cut? Perhaps some ideas that the team came up with, which had to be scrapped due to changes in direction, time constrictions, technical limitations, or whatever. How would they have been implemented if they had been kept, and how might KS have been different if they had stayed in?

2. Which character(s) went through the most change, in terms of back story, personality, and how her path played out, from concept stage to the final release?

3. Why wasn't the Nurse name revealed? Were there any names considered during development?
1. That I really hated to cut? For me, don't think so. Everyone has had their own pet ideas though, and a lot of them have been axed, so it's very possible someone or multiple someones are still sad about not having something they liked in game.

2. Lilly or Hanako. The former has been pulled to a million directions because she had a different writer before Suriko joined, and then Suriko changed her backstory and personality a lot during the development. Hanako's route was edited and reworked a ton.

3. It's a sort of a sideways reference to the Nurse-kun stories from 4chan, the idea of a nameless (or rather, anonymous) male nurse originated before 4LS was even formed. We never intended him to have a name.
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

Aura wrote:
DaBeijingKing wrote:which anime characters have made a cameo appearance in KS?
Uhh, not many. The classroom CG has Ritsu from K-ON as retcameo and Ikuno from TH2, and there's C.C. in one CG's background. That's all I remember off the top of my head.
You guys also have Haruki (genderbent Suzumiya Haruhi) in the classroom picture. And I've heard tell that once upon a time you also had Lelouch vi Britannia in the classroom CG, though he's not there now if ever he was so there's no point in including him, I guess.
kahafb

Post by kahafb »

Thank you for those answers, and has this question ever been asked?

You guys created a really awesome game, but what kind of games do you guys like to play? Are you guys even gamers?
Oh, this reminds me of a puzzle!

Rin=Lilly=Hanako>Emi>Every other character>Kenji>Shizune

Dislike Shizune a lot.
OpusEponymous

Post by OpusEponymous »

-
Last edited by OpusEponymous on Sat May 31, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are shadows of the dying sun.
Hisui

Post by Hisui »

Hi hi 4LS

How did the character of the Nurse happen? Who decided to add a reference to Nurse-kun, and how early in development?

Who came up with the Crippled/Heart: Act Katawa video and who made it? I'd like to play them in MBAACC.