More gameplay options

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pibby

More gameplay options

Post by pibby »

Ya I know, visual novels have very little gameplay but I mean it would hurt to add minor mini games, would it? Like I can think of one off the bat: Hisao getting lost in the town and has to get to a specific location before or at a specific time to trigger different paths (like this game could be for when he got lost on the way back to school and took one and half hours). I just don't want this game to be more than just making choices, that's just me.

Re: More gameplay options

Post by Guest »

What a terrible idea. It's called a visual novel for a reason.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Some visual novels use that kind of format, where you wander around a world map and can choose where to go when to see different things. However, considering the amount of work already put into making KS what it is right now, I think it'll be way to much work to change it.
静音是买外夫
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

We probably are not going to have any minigames. Implementing a minigame into a VN so that it's relevant, interesting and good is not that easy. For example, Shikkoku no Sharnoth, an otherwise interesting visual novel, was spoiled by the atrocious minigame it had (it could thankfully be skipped).
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Ooh, I've been interested in that game for a while now (Though I'll have to wait for an English patch or release). Care to talk about it in a little more depth?
静音是买外夫
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

SnS? Well eh, its main selling point is the concept - alternative victorian era with various western real and fictional people starring, some in a bit "alternative" forms (the cast includes Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle, Winston Churchill, Charlotte Bronte, H.P Lovecraft and so on, it's pretty exciting for anyone who likes literature and/or history). The game manages to use this reasonably well I think, it's hilarous to think of the character personalities, their interactions and some story elements in the historical context (I did not get excited about the mythical characters in F/SN for example). The plot has a bit of supernatural element, and from time to time there is this fighting minigame where the main character, a bishoujo heterochromia-moe Agatha Christie as seen on my avatar, has to beat tentacle monsters. The minigame, basically, sucks. It's not interesting and it's fairly pointless as the only way I could see it affect the game was give opportunities for game overs if you sucked at it (like I did).
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Cool. I remember coming across it somewhere and thinking the art style was really interesting. I had just gotten into Kuroshitsuji (both anime and manga) at the time, and I've always enjoyed a little bit of the supernatural, so I thought it would be right up my alley. Thanks for the overview.
静音是买外夫