Other Media that gave you "The Feels."

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Thrasher Thetic

Re: Other Media that gave you "The Feels."

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Any number of books, read moar you damned whippersnappers!

Jim Butcher and Patrick Rothfuss do an excellent job of building consistant worlds and interesting characters to populate them with, you can't really miss with anything by those two. If you're in the mood for something lighter, but with characters who are just as strong, read Terry Prachett.

Thats gotta be on the order of 60-80 books between just those three guys. Enough to keep anyone busy for a while, though god knows there are shelves and shelves of other authors and different ones will suit different people.

For games, Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, the first Dragon Age, Fallout (the old isometric one, not the new one), Deus Ex: Human Revolution all had wonderful stories that pulled me in, whether by building a strong protagonist you could care about (fallout, DX), incredible supporting characters (ME), or both (DA and KOTOR).
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Okay, can somebody explain what "the feels" are? Ever since the release of the full version, this forum is full of references to "the feels". I kind of understand from the context that it describes something like a state of melancholy or self-reflection or really strong emotions, but my idea of the concept is still pretty vague. I thought it was some kind of meme, but I couldn't find any explanation on the internet. Is it really just such a vague concept or am I just not getting the reference?

But from the context, I kind of get what you are talking about. For me, these media were:

Several anime-series. First of all Earth Girl Arjuna. Every goddamn episode! Then, the regular TV ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion, of course. And Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I mean, it's about a guy who breaks the fucking laws of the universe in order to save the girl he loves. How can that not stir up your emotions?

As for movies, there's Into the Wild. Not so much the end, but rather the moment when the father breaks into tears about his missing son in the middle of the road. I know my father would have reacted the same way.
Also, American Beauty. Fuck that bullshit story about the daughter and the neighbour boy. I'm talking about Lester here. He's such a loser until he decides to be fucking awesome instead. "I rule!" 8)
themocaw wrote:4. "Saishuuheiki Kanojo": aka "Saikano" aka "She, the Ultimate Weapon." The horrors of war and the end of the world juxtaposed over high school romantic angst.
I watched the entire series in one rush. It took me an entire night. I've never cried so much in my life. The thing is, whenever I try to watch it again, I watch the first one or two episodes and I just fucking hate how terribly generic and bland the show is at first.
Ivan the Mouse wrote:Before that, Onani Master Kurosawa.
Fuck yeah, totally forgot about that. Yes, this manga was definitely a great experience. Back then, I was so much like the main character that it scared me.
And since we're already talking about manga, add Planetes to the list. It's just so melancholic and at the same time incredibly easy-going. The anime is okay too (great soundtrack), but the manga is much more feels-inducing.

Let's see how long this thread continues to live. Non-KS-related threads used to be locked rather quickly, but now there are so many threads popping up anyway, so we can just hope that the devs don't care anymore.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
DH531

Post by DH531 »

I watched 'Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai'. Yes that is the name of the anime, it can be shortened to 'Ano Hana' though :) Literally 'We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day'

Anyway this anime had me crying by the end of it, it was so sad, sweet, tense, other emotions I can't remember I felt that day I watched the final episode, I highly recommend it. Not sure I had 'the feels' or if I was straight up crying, but it's a very heart warming anime :D
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Panty Supervisor wrote:Okay, can somebody explain what "the feels" are? Ever since the release of the full version, this forum is full of references to "the feels". I kind of understand from the context that it describes something like a state of melancholy or self-reflection or really strong emotions.
That's basically it.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

"The Feels" is just an irreverent internets way of saying "catharsis."
fcd15

Post by fcd15 »

Clannad. Actually, the feels it gave me were a thousand times stronger. The Fuuko arc in the first season was pretty damaging, but after Tomoya graduated I could almost grab and squish his loneliness. It was contagious. I felt so damn lonely without that school feel. It just got worse when Nagisa died and the last half of the season was about Tomoya trying to become a father once again. Of course the ending was fucking perfect. I don't care about the cliché, being cliché doesn't equal being bad. I recall being barely able to walk right after finishing it. I can't put into words how much I love it and lost the count of times I rewatched it. No other piece of art comes close to it for me, be it a song, a concert, a film, a book or whatever. I know I'm not alone here, and it's so good to see Clannad being acknowledged as the masterpiece it actually is.

Toradora, Kanon and Angel Beats also made a mess out of me. The Onegai Teacher/Twins series were pretty touching too.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Narcissu, another VN I played a while back, made me pretty upset for a few days after I finished it. It helped that one of the characters died happy, even though they were committing suicide... if that makes any sense.
heavyweather

Post by heavyweather »

John Stienbeck's Of Mice and Men, Dennis Lehane's Gone Baby Gone, Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood, Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms and O.E. Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth all had punches in the gut for endings. I remember having the feels after I read all of those.

If I've invested lots of time and effort into a long-running series, I tend to get the feels after I finish it - mostly because I don't want to leave a series. This happened with the manga versions of Planetes and Fullmetal Alchemist.

TV? The last episode of Kino's Journey and the episode "A Doll's Eyes' of Homicide: Life on the Street left me with The Feels really bad.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

heavyweather wrote:
If I've invested lots of time and effort into a long-running series, I tend to get the feels after I finish it - mostly because I don't want to leave a series.
You hit the nail on the head. I hate getting involved in a good series only to reach the end...
micechasekittens

Post by micechasekittens »

Rule of Rose is a ps2 survival horror adventure game where it was like Lord of the Flies but with girls at an orphanage. Throughout the game you have to collect items for the secret society or suffer consequences. It is seen through the eyes of the picked-upon new girl, Jennifer who is trying to accept the awful memories at the orphanage leading up to the massacre perpetrated by this crazed guy. She feels guilty for hiding to save herself and also for what happened to her one friend, a dog named Brown.

To help you on your quest is a dog named Brown. He fights monsters for you, helps you find items, and is essentially your only friend. You can pet him and give him treats which just strengthens the emotional ties with him. In the beginning of the game you find his dead body, but in the next scene he is alive and well (sequence of events are out of order in this game). At the end of the game you find out that she gave up her dog to the secret society of girls during a task to give up one's most precious item. She wants to fit in with them so she complies, not realizing what would happen next. They killed it before her eyes. During the epilogue, you find out what happens her first day at the orphanage. She hears barking from a nearby shed and discovers a puppy. Hugging him close, she promises that she will always take care of him and never let anything bad happen to him. Then the sad violin music plays and credit rolls. I was crying and yelling at the screen of how dare she break her promise to her dog.
tmhizzy

Post by tmhizzy »

Books: Hunger games series by Suzanne Collins, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, and Battle of the labyrinth by Rick Riordan.

Songs: Baby blue eyes by A Rocket to the Moon, Hum Hallelujah and She's My Winona by Falloutboy.

Movies: Pokemon the Movie(The first one), Toy Story 3, and Wall-e.

Shows: MLP:FiM, Gurren Lagann, and Maburaho.

Games: Rune Factory series.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Ok first is Final Fantasy 6 ( Really the only game that gave me " The Feeling "

In Movies there is none that truly wowed me in that way ( The Feeling dies after a short while and never stayed with me for years )

Books ... The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Songs .... Sheryl Crow - We Do What We Can & Tom Wilson - Burnt Out Car

Anime .... Hell Girl

VNs ..... To be honest i haven't played enuff to fourm a fair opinion ( only played 4 including KS )
fcd15

Post by fcd15 »

tmhizzy wrote:Books: Hunger games series by Suzanne Collins, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, and Battle of the labyrinth by Rick Riordan.

Songs: Baby blue eyes by A Rocket to the Moon, Hum Hallelujah and She's My Winona by Falloutboy.

Movies: Pokemon the Movie(The first one), Toy Story 3, and Wall-e.

Shows: MLP:FiM, Gurren Lagann, and Maburaho.

Games: Rune Factory series.
I like your songs. I really do.
zanzarra

Post by zanzarra »

I'll have to really agree with a lot that was written in this thread.
Like finishing any good piece of fiction, or to put it in another way, like everytime you've experienced a story, you get a mixed feeling of happiness and sadness in equal parts. You enjoyed the experience, but you can't help being a little sad that it's over.
I like that I'm not bitter/jaded enough to prevent that from happening to me on a regular base. :)

That said: Never, ever listen to VNV Nation - Illusion right after finishing a path in KS. This really opened the floodgates. >_>
One day I'll put more than 15 minutes of work into an avatar. One day.
TotesMcGotes

Post by TotesMcGotes »

OP, you don't need to call it "The Feels". Just "feels". In fact you don't even need quotation marks.