How'd you find yourself here?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yipyapper

Re: How'd you find yourself here?

Post by yipyapper »

A friend was playing it on a non-steam game thing. I asked him what it was, he said he just got it and that it was some sort of handicapped school fetish game. An hour later he said it looked pretty good and and no h scenes were present so far, so I gave it a whirl.

Oh Gawd, the wasted week that I didn't know it after it came out -_-
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
Radien

Post by Radien »

Oh, hey, hadn't noticed this topic yet. Well, I already posted in the "what disability" poll thread, but since I saw this thread, I decided to go back through my browser history and figure out what brought me to find this game.

As it turns out, I was on KnowYourMeme.com and happened across some Katawa Shoujo meme images like these:

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/230692
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/230975

I didn't actually think they would be funny if I "got" their jokes, but the two images DID manage to pique my curiosity, since they were horribly, horribly out-of-context.

After I looked up Katawa Shoujo, I basically felt the same as Thrasher Thetic did, below:
Thrasher Thetic wrote:"Hold on, an H-game, spawned by 4chan, involving disabled chicks in a japanese high-school setting. Oh man, this is gonna be an UNBELIEVABLE trainwreck!"

*Dowloads, starts playing*

5 days later . . .

"Wow.... did not see that coming."
...Yep, that's basically what I did, too. Except that I started to realize it wouldn't be a trainwreck after I browsed the official site and read a couple of short reviews.
Paths completed so far (in order): Emi, Hanako, Shizune, Lilly (good endings)

Currently playing: Rin's path
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

l was really horny one night ( sorry for being so blunt ) i was looking through the H-game site i frequently go too and i found a link to download the KS demo at first i didn't wanna ... but im glad i did ( I will not share the link for fear of getting in trouble for ad spamming )
gunlocksp

Post by gunlocksp »

How'd I find out about this game? Through sankakucomplex, naturally... XD (The thought of playing a disability vn game... is really new for me)
How'd I find myself here on this forum? Looking for wallpapers of Katawa Shoujo's characters (I have a habit of drawing any characters I like and ... that person is Lilly!!)8)
danyo

Post by danyo »

gunlocksp wrote:How'd I find out about this game? Through sankakucomplex, naturally... XD (The thought of playing a disability vn game... is really new for me)
How'd I find myself here on this forum? Looking for wallpapers of Katawa Shoujo's characters (I have a habit of drawing any characters I like and ... that person is Lilly!!)8)
same here, except I found my way to the forums because I was looking for the official sound track, instead of wallpapers :)
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Thrasher Thetic wrote:"Hold on, an H-game, spawned by 4chan, involving disabled chicks in a japanese high-school setting. Oh man, this is gonna be an UNBELIEVABLE trainwreck!"

5 days later . . .

This. Also read a review on The Escapist and figured I'd give it a try and test it against the allegations that Kotaku had come up with.

Very glad I did.
nyttyn

Post by nyttyn »

Heard about it on a chatroom for League of Legends. Thought "A Game spawned by 4chan? Must try, if only out of sheer respect to whatever forces mustered this shit up..."

Tried the act 1 demo, went "Holy shit this is good."

Then the game came out, and...

"Holy SHIT this is good."
Why does the OST feature so much piano, despite the fact that not even a single piano exists in the entire game!?
boredism

Post by boredism »

Needed to find something to procrastinate work with and get off skyrim, then this game got released. So I played it, for a bit too long, then came to the forum to find that annoying last scene that everyone missed... after that just loitering about the forums i guess?
Morello

Post by Morello »

I was reading a brazilian gaming forum and saw a topic call'd "KATAWA SHOUJO :3 [+RELEASED]". Without even knowing anything about the game, something inside told me to download.
And here I am.

Post by Guest »

found out about it on a forum for another game on the 20th
and today just happened to stumble upon these forums.
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

I don't even remember.

I just know that I found out about it being in development somehow what seems like a long time ago and I was curious how it would turn out so I checked on it once every couple months or so. It was quite a shock when they finally popped out with a set release date and then stuck to it.
UncleJellyfish

Post by UncleJellyfish »

I finished the game after getting it from a friend, and wanted to desperately talk about it with someone, but no one I knew had gotten as far as I had, so I Googled this place to try and find others that have read through it and were able to help me discuss everything I wanted to talk about with the game.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.
Harlequin13

Post by Harlequin13 »

Piratebay.

Well sh!t, looking at this thread, it's clear that the game is getting a ton of exposure through word-of-mouth. That's good you know, real good. A whole lot more people will find out what VNs are, and there's a good chance that many (not all) will enjoy what they're seeing. So they'll go search for more VNs, and those VNs will get more exposure aswell. And there'll be even more demand for english translations of other VNs. More people will be interested in developing their own VNs aswell.

You just can't deny what KS has managed to accomplish here. There will be MANY more fans of VNs because of this game alone.
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Word of mouth played a big role in getting as many people on board as it has, but I think it's owed in part to the various gaming "magazines" that covered it for so long. I know a lot of people who had never necessarily thought about playing it, but had heard about it from various sources (The Escapist, Kotaku, etc...).
zanzarra

Post by zanzarra »

5 days later . . .

This.

:D

With an added bonus, since I played Emis route first:

"Okay... this is getting me all emotional.. what the..." BAM! ANAL! "...w-what?! Was this supposed to happen?"

As for the forum, after the first route ( and a little mental healing period ), the gamer mindset emerged and I looked up the flowcharts. Don't think I'd ever found the way to Rins route without them.
One day I'll put more than 15 minutes of work into an avatar. One day.