Would you play a "mental disability" VN similar to KS?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Anon727486593452

Re: Would you play a "mental disability" VN similar to KS?

Post by Anon727486593452 »

What country are you setting it in, again (Eastern Europe somewhere)? You could give it a name in whatever the local language is there.
Joshp9690

Post by Joshp9690 »

imperial.standard wrote:We had one lead girl having the attribute of "Asperger's Syndrome" - quite popular with most of the developers really. ;)
Hell yeah! Finally, a girl I, as an aspie, could get behind! (yes, that pun is intended, deal with it *sunglasses*).
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Austria.

Post by Guest »

Do you guys know about Less Wrong? It's a site devoted to the development and refinement of human rationality. They have an extremely empiric approach to life, and they have very interesting ways of dealing with biases, perception errors, akrasia (that's when you act against your own better judgement, the "Yao Ming" mode, we all do it), reprogramming one's own tastes for the sake of one's ultimate goals... basically everything to do with better understanding the world, making the right decisions, and following through on them. And it'd be very interesting to see a person with mental disorders struggling to be rational and consistent. Even more one interesting if their compulsions are so strong, they could in fact be ''unable'' to listen to reason, and suffer from a lot of akrasia at best and be entirely oblivious at worst. I'd think that'd provide some very interesting conflict.

As for the setting, yeah, set it in a college. Even better, a math college. Have some of them play chess. I'd use The Oxford Murders as a template. It ''is'' a murder mystery, but it also works a lot like a DatingSim (complete with some very interesting HoYay).

Bad idea? Okay, no biggie, I'm just brainstorming here. But ''do'' try the movie, it's a ''great'' murder mystery slash romance that NeedsMoreLove.

As for types of mental disorder that can be used, you have thePersonality Disorders, which mostly affect your emotions, decision-making, and the way you deal with people, and the perception disorders, where you don't percieve reality properly (for example, you don't know where your body parts are without looking at them, or you can't see the right side of things, or you can't read anything graphic: drawings, computer imagery, all you see is a blank spot... those are all real). For those, I suggest readingthis book or a summary thereof. (Here's a summary of the eponymous case... seems like a bit more of a challenge than dating a person who merely lacks a body part, yet this woman married him).
Mercury_Ali

Post by Mercury_Ali »

I apologize for the doublepost, that was me up there. I'm in your care now, so please be lenient towards me and my circumstances. Great game you have here, great forum too.
MrTimms

Post by MrTimms »

I am a writer who was invited onto the project about a week ago, but from what I've read on the forum they've closed application for writers and programmers. I have attempted to contact QbertEnhanced about this, and on the forum, but so far it has been very difficult to get a hold of anyone, so I figured I'd try a more active forum.
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

MrTimms wrote:I am a writer who was invited onto the project about a week ago, but from what I've read on the forum they've closed application for writers and programmers. I have attempted to contact QbertEnhanced about this, and on the forum, but so far it has been very difficult to get a hold of anyone, so I figured I'd try a more active forum.
Like the forums have said, we are no longer accepting such applications.
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

MrTimms wrote:I am a writer who was invited onto the project about a week ago, but from what I've read on the forum they've closed application for writers and programmers. I have attempted to contact QbertEnhanced about this, and on the forum, but so far it has been very difficult to get a hold of anyone, so I figured I'd try a more active forum.
The post was filled up to the brim pretty quickly, I apologize for that. In fact within the first 2 days of invitations that had been sent out, we had most of the writers signed up. We are currently in need of artists... If any of you are willing to try out, pm me instead :)

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
MrTimms

Post by MrTimms »

No understudy positions?
Mercury_Ali

Post by Mercury_Ali »

No advisor positions?
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

Mercury_Ali wrote:No advisor positions?
If you're talking about medical advisors, those positions are also filled.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

MrTimms wrote:No understudy positions?
Understudies for writing? There are so many writers signed up that some of us will inevitably become backup writers and editors, so none at the moment.
ShadowB

Post by ShadowB »

I could make several suggestions based on what I've seen so far, but I can summarize most of them as: don't go for any hardcore mental disabilities. Characters should have conditions that require support, not constant treatment. This would be in line with KS - none of those characters need a 24h nursing staff just to live anything remotely like a normal life, they can simply live their normal life with support from the people around them. There are plenty of equivalent mental conditions, people who don't need constant attention or specialized environments to live their life, but do need a different kind of support from the people around them than most.
This would mean no institution-type setting. Don't concentrate directly on the condition itself, but how those people would live their life - for example, a character wouldn't be chucked into a psych ward directly because they had kleptomania, but kleptomania could interfere with their ability to fit in with normal society and lead to being sent to an alternate education program as a troubled youth. Characters in such a situation are perfectly capable of romantic relations, but much of society would either be unable to work around their differences or just treat them like special little children who aren't suitable for such grown-up behavior.
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

ShadowB wrote:I could make several suggestions based on what I've seen so far, but I can summarize most of them as: don't go for any hardcore mental disabilities.
Of course - the point is to have the target character to have certain mental afflictions but does not impede them or make them less associable. We would want a character that is relate-able afterall :)
ShadowB wrote: This would mean no institution-type setting. Don't concentrate directly on the condition itself, but how those people would live their life
Well noted, thank you...Our current setting is a school with an attached ward

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
Aka

Post by Aka »

I don't think the disabilities are why I originally played KS.
I think I learned about KS from an ero site awhile ago. (I'm fairly sure I know which site, but I'll avoid listing it here)

I have to admit, playing the first act was enough to pique my interest.
I didn't really keep up with discussions over the forums or look over the blogs, but I do think its quite a great game.
The disabilities are just part of the story(or plot?), but they aren't exactly what makes this game so incredible.

TL;DR - No. that was not why I played KS to begin with. Still isn't.