KS have changed me for the better.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

hmoonboi

KS have changed me for the better.

Post by hmoonboi »

I was blown away by the game. In the past month, manly tears were shed.

Hisao is the type of person that I aim to be.

Since, starting the game on the 4th, I've actually been running my own miles in the morning. and sticking to it.
I started taking sign language class. My mind is more open to world and people around me.

I can truly and truthfully say that KS has and is changing me to be a better person all around.
Life can't be like it is in the game, but I can always be the gentleman that Hisao is.

What have KS done for you, other than the amazing experience?
yipyapper

Re: KS have changed me for the better.

Post by yipyapper »

Cried for the first time in my life out of happiness, and my first time in many years.
Not to mention I never cried this hard anyway.

This is from the end of the Rin path. Oh gawd. But honestly, it made me feel really good, and it is a game I will never forget. In fact, I'll probably redo Emi+Lilly+Rin over and over again.
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I've done most paths twice now, save for Rin's and Emi's which I'm working on. But the game has opened my eyes, Even after I've gotten over my 'feels' that the game gave me I still strive to be better. I've cut down on junk food and soda, slowly working on exercising at my own pace. I'm not as introverted as I used to be, I talk more to people. And I have an understanding on what kind of struggles people can hide behind a smile. I feel...alive I suppose the best term would be, people around me have seen it and few have outright told me I was different. I've made some progress with a girl I like and I like to think this game has helped with my social oddities that I used to have. I could go on, but it's late.
"We can not see past the present if we refuse to turn away from the steps we have already made in our wake."
ThreeStep

Post by ThreeStep »

Gave me a few hours of entertainment.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

While I'm already an very humble person, this game taught me to be even more humble and be grateful for everything I got, ya know?
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Can a game change you the much ?? Yes i got weepy ... but im still the same person i was before i started playing KS

Does this mean most ppl who played this are gonna look for a burn victim to have sex with cause they played Hanako's path ??

As great of a VN/ H-Game KS is i really dont think it's life changing
Aerin

Post by Aerin »

rydiafan wrote:Can a game change you the much ?? Yes i got weepy ... but im still the same person i was before i started playing KS

Does this mean most ppl who played this are gonna look for a burn victim to have sex with cause they played Hanako's path ??

Well, that would depend on the person, wouldn't it? Just because something didn't change you, doesn't mean that it didn't effect anyone else in a way that drove them to better their lives.

I've seen story after story of people getting their crap together after playing this game - this is only ONE of them. So really, it's kind of ignorant to make such a statement when hundreds of people are literally saying the opposite. Better to take people at their word and feel happy for them.
I'm not sentimental
This skin and bones is a rental
And no one makes it out alive
Until I die I'll sing these songs
On the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong
TheKingOfFacade

Post by TheKingOfFacade »

rydiafan wrote:Can a game change you the much ?? Yes i got weepy ... but im still the same person i was before i started playing KS

Tell that to the olympic running team that is now /v/.
Omnicretus

Post by Omnicretus »

hmoonboi wrote:Since, starting the game on the 4th, I've actually been running my own miles in the morning. and sticking to it.
Hey, you and me both, buddy. This game made me feel like building a life I am content with, to an extend I haven't experienced before. I actually get up an hour early in the morning now, just to have a morning run, even though I've always been the kind of person which gets up 2 minutes before I'm supposed to be where I gotta be.
That feel when you realize the background music is actually the music box, and you see the small contraption beside you... That feel...
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

I been a gamer for over 25 years ( Turning 32 on friday woot ) And i honestly don't believe that games change a person for the good / worst

Throughout my life ( high school days where i was picked on constantly , breakups with girlfriends , having bad credit / overdew bills , getting lay off from jobs , family problems or what not ) the moments where i felt i had no self worth / self esteem in my life all gaming did was let me hide from reality for a short time ( Friends , my Mom and slowly gaining back my self esteem was the only thing the truly changed me for the better )

So im sorry if you disagree with me but from the bottom of my heart i honestly don't believe that games / VNs can change a person for the good / worst
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

What can change the nature of a man?
Not a game it seems.

There are lots of stories about life changing shenanigans that KS brought, but i cant relate to that. Maybe I'm not sensible enough. Or maybe the fan base is too damn sensible all the time.

I cant even grasp how can people change over a single visual novel or a single book, Katawa Shoujo is the coming of age story of a boy named Hisao, nothing more.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Ry74

Post by Ry74 »

What I've gathered is that it's a rather personal experience, not just player by player but route by route- some of the stories I've heard coming out are people like soldiers and VA counselors being deeply affected by Emi's path, there was a guy on /v/ who lost it on Hanako's path because he lost his own parents in a car crash when he was 14, and so on. What is clear is that this game has rather deeply affected a good many people, either causing them to life healthier lives, or make deeper connections with people in their own lives, or whatever else.

For me, at the very least it has caused me to go back to "the beginning", and gives some very serious thought as to what I actually want out of video games, as others just can't seem to hold my interest that much any more.

Sometimes a book or whatever serves as the emotional equivalent of Archimedes's bath- an accidental but stunning insight into one's own circumstances.
TheKingOfFacade

Post by TheKingOfFacade »

Tomate wrote:What can change the nature of a man?
Not a game it seems.

There are lots of stories about life changing shenanigans that KS brought, but i cant relate to that. Maybe I'm not sensible enough. Or maybe the fan base is too damn sensible all the time.

I cant even grasp how can people change over a single visual novel or a single book, Katawa Shoujo is the coming of age story of a boy named Hisao, nothing more.
*Cough*The Bible*Cough*

Regardless, the reason why people are so effected by this is because they can relate. Not to the disabilities but to the people, something you don't find in alot of other games/books. Alot of people that related to Rin have taken up art/drawing because they've realised that much like her, what you want to express isn't always possible with words.I myself related to Hanako, I saw myself in her and realised that it really isn't healthy to be that introverted and having a heart to heart with my best friend over facebook (I literally have no other way of contacting him, no phone, no email, no mailing address anymore) I realised that I really need to be more outgoing if I want to meet someone.

With respect, just because something doesn't effect you doesn't mean it hasn't effected others. "Gloomy Sunday" by Sam M. Lewis apparently lead to quite a few people killing themselves after listening yet it doesn't effect me in the slightest.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

TheKingOfFacade wrote:
Regardless, the reason why people are so effected by this is because they can relate. Not to the disabilities but to the people, something you don't find in alot of other games/books. Alot of people that related to Rin have taken up art/drawing because they've realised that much like her, what you want to express isn't always possible with words.
I think maybe is about exposition to media? I'm constantly reading or gaming, so there is a constant exposition to stories and characters, I cant see visual novels, games or books as a life changing thing, they are just part of my life.

Maybe I'm rambling but lets compromise and accept that some will change based on a visual novel and some wont. I wished to know what is the criteria for the change.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

So after years of being inactivate KS comes along and Emi gets you to start running track .... now matter how much you try a character in a VN / Game will never replace Self worth , family and friends .... no matter how much you try to hide from it ... reality always wins in the end