Where is the Tsundere?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Raiel

Where is the Tsundere?

Post by Raiel »

I've nearly played every path, but was slightly disappointed to discover that there wasn't even a faint trace of Tsundere (everyone except for Hanako's, and I doubt she would be one).
At first I thought Shizune would be some kind of a Tsundere from Act 1 (it's the CGs fault), but I was mistaken.
I know some are glad there isn't any and maybe the developers wanted to avoid that kind of character. But at least it would provide a challenge to create a Tsundere in that kind of setting, without making it look too forced or inadequate. Even if some people dislike that kind of character type, some tsundere characters still turn out to be awesome.

Anyone else, who missed the tsundere vibes? Or even thinks that the game is incomplete without any such element (or the other extreme was glad, that there wasn't any)? Does Tsundere really fit into Katawa Shoujo or not?
Lilly (Good End on 1st try), Rin (Good End on 1st try), Emi (Bad End on 1st try), Shizune ("Bad" End on 1st try), Hanako Arch (Good End on 1st try)
Favorite Char: 1.Rin 2.Misha 3.Kenji
Favorite Couple: Lilly x Hisao, Hisao x Misha x Shizune
Special Mention: Jigoro (for being awesome), Yandere Hanako (USO DA!), Emi's mom (for being MILFy)
Least Favorite Char: Emi (by far)
Thrasher Thetic

Re: Where is the Tsundere?

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Pardon the ignorant midwesterner, but wtf is tsundere?
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
scorptatious

Post by scorptatious »

Thrasher Thetic wrote:Pardon the ignorant midwesterner, but wtf is tsundere?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere

Thank goodness for TV Tropes.

OT: I kinda had Shizune pegged as the Tsundere type as well. Until we started playing Risk that is.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Thrasher Thetic wrote:Pardon the ignorant midwesterner, but wtf is tsundere?
It's a character archetype. It's essentially a character that starts off cold/indifferent or even outright hating the protagonist, but over time grows to them and shows their warm side.

I really don't think the game needed one.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Tsundere is a stereotypical anime girl personality type usually played by Kugimiya Rie. They are always short, wear short skirts and long stockings, and act like bitches unless they're being over the top cuddly. They aren't doing this because they like you or anything, either.

I honestly liked that there were no stereotypical tsunderes in this game. Shizune and Emi probably come closest.
Raiel

Post by Raiel »

Tsundere is a stereotypical anime girl personality type usually played by Kugimiya Rie. They are always short, wear short skirts and long stockings, and act like bitches unless they're being over the top cuddly. They aren't doing this because they like you or anything, either.
*rofl* ... Kugimiya-Rie-Loli Tsundere-undertype ruined everything XD ... (Thank god for the Tsunderailgun to make up for it) <.< >.>
Lilly (Good End on 1st try), Rin (Good End on 1st try), Emi (Bad End on 1st try), Shizune ("Bad" End on 1st try), Hanako Arch (Good End on 1st try)
Favorite Char: 1.Rin 2.Misha 3.Kenji
Favorite Couple: Lilly x Hisao, Hisao x Misha x Shizune
Special Mention: Jigoro (for being awesome), Yandere Hanako (USO DA!), Emi's mom (for being MILFy)
Least Favorite Char: Emi (by far)
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Meh. I used to like tsundere girls, but then I took an arrow... no wait, that's not how it goes.

I used to like tsundere girls in anime, but the idea gets a little bit worn out after you've seen it a dozen times. They always follow the same fucking formula. It's no problem to throw in a tsundere character for the fanservice if you have a strong plot going on. But in a VN like Katawa Shoujo that is focussed on the characters and their emotional problems, resorting to such a simple formula seems out of place and doesn't really work with the otherwise complex characters.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Huzzah, I have been educated. You may proceed about your business.

Game didn't really 'need' it. Would have been nice, but then so would have 3 more characters and 20 more hours of excellent content, more choices, full voiceovers and animation, a ruby the size of an egg, and a mountain made of cake.

Can't have everything I guess.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

It's been a few years since I read a decent amount of the Katawa Shoujo demo. At the time, I thought the main characters more or less fit into common archetypes. (Emi seemed energetic, Rin seemed eccentric, Lily seemed refined, Hanako seemed deeply troubled... and I wasn't sure what to make of Shizune.) This isn't a criticism, just an observation. Using archetypal characters is a common and important aspect of fiction. And any archetype can be written well or poorly.

But yeah, even though I know that sugar-and-ice characters are common, I don't think they are necessary, even in a romance game. And keep in mind that there's an awful lot of character archetypes common to harem stories. So trying to fit more than a few into any one work of fiction would mean very little screen time per character, and would probably seem like overkill.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

I liked the fact that none of the girls easily fit into an archetype. Each girl is her own, complex character.
Censored

Post by Censored »

Well I for my part don't miss a tsundere in KS, I always asked myself why would anyone fall for a girl that pretty much constantly abuses you, even though it's sometimes
fun to watch.
Even the archetypes they used didn't semm that overpronounced like in other works, which I found quite refreshing, as well that the writers didn't choose to use all the "clichés" that normally
come with those highschool settings.
Ditsch

Post by Ditsch »

Well i missed a tsundere and a tomboy character as i always fall for such characters, excluding the stereotypical anime girl personality type usually played by Kugimiya Rie.
About the abuse haha funny but to tell you there are "bars" in japan where the costumer pays money that the super cute waitress is rude to them haha. So yeah seem like a
lot of japanese people like to be abused by women at least on a verbal level lol.

But again i am happy ks is not to much about classical archetypes even there is the to perfect to be good girl from a catholic all girls school with a cheesy name and lesbian tendencies.
And they even had 2 iincho (class reprentives) and one with glasses and all about rules. :) like always.

Post by Guest »

Good. Tsundere is a heavily overused archetype, and I'm glad that KS didn't have one.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

As much as I like the tsundere/yandere archtype, I am happy this game did not had any and if it did, I sure it was on accident.

And to people who saying "But Shizune's and Emi's a tsundere!" No. Shizune's a bitch in general and ain't doing it to be cute. Emi's...just Emi.
erisi236

Post by erisi236 »

I'm glad there's no tsun in this as it's a terribly overused trope in Anime that's far past it's use by date.

Tsundere also would never work in real life anyway. What guy in the world is going to hang out with a girl that leans in for a kiss then instead hits him over the head with an anvil and calls him an idiot?
"Iluvevery, single… one of ye… not you." - Lilly during another one of her drunken rampages.