Do you make your love/admiration/etc. for this game public?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Weaver

Re: Do you make your love/admiration/etc. for this game publ

Post by Weaver »

I haven't yet. I thought about it but my mind did not play out a desirable response from my friends so I decided against it.

Most of them would probably just say "Oh, whatever" and not try it.
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

My boyfriend has known about the demo since I did... he tried playing it but he's not a big reader so it wasn't interesting for him. He has had to listen to me rant about it though, haha. Bless him.

I mentioned it once to my sister because she likes anime-inspired stuff, but she didn't seem that interested because she's straight as an arrow and pretty much uninterested in dating sims where you date girls.

I don't plan on telling anybody else unless I know they're into VNs. I did make a few posts on my tumblr about it but I'm planning on keeping my tumblr as far away from my personal life as possible.
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
uwa

Post by uwa »

I'm sure it'll come up eventually, but I'm not running to them to evangelize. I'm really surprised one of my friends didn't already ask about it when I was playing the soundtrack while doing some work.

I'll probably describe it as having the widest gap between what the summary makes it sound like and actual quality of any creative work I've ever seen, which is completely true. I don't think most of my friends will be interested, but a description like that is more likely to make them curious than any amount of gushing.
Emi > Lilly > Misha > Hanako = Rin > Shizune... I might just prefer women who put out a lot.
Mind-stickiness: Hanako > Misha = Shizune > Rin > Emi > Lilly
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

uwa wrote:I'm sure it'll come up eventually, but I'm not running to them to evangelize.
Yeah. Oddly enough, I've actually had to warn one person away from it. I love the game and all, but certain things would not interact well with her particular psychological makeup. So basically I told her "This is on the short list of best games I've ever played, the short-short list of best game music I've ever heard, and the best-directed game I've ever encountered. And it will kill you. Stay away."

The other person I talked to had already downloaded it, but had not played yet; as far as I know he still hasn't. So I haven't actually evangelized to anybody, even the people I talked to, and I can't say I plan to.
Joshp9690

Post by Joshp9690 »

Tomate wrote:
tmhizzy wrote:
Tomate wrote:Thanks to a bizarre series of absurd events, yesterday i had the task to explain to a Catholic Nun what is Katawa Shoujo, it was awesome.
How did that go?
First tings first: The Background.
My mother is a catholic and a fierce one at that, she has lots of friends from the church, including a Nun, this nun is on a sabbatical, so she hangs around my house most of the day, since my mother is a widow, she and the nun do everything together.

Some days ago, my computer went haywire, i was bored siting in the living, and the nun asked why i was not at my computer, i told her, and she said "Why dont you use my laptop? Its not like your PC, but better than nothing"

So, i borrowed her laptop, and installed KS. Some days later she asked about "that heart icon on my desktop", i told her about Katawa Shoujo, told about how the game was made, about the characters and history.

She was interested, and tried to play, but since she doesn't speak English, she cant play, she asked about a Portuguese translation though.

She is surprisingly laid back for a nun
You've officially showed me that not all catholics are evil. Now feminists, that's a whole different story...
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

It's only because I started attending a local anime convention (Anime Central, near Chicago every year since 2005) that I got to meet other VN / romance game fans. The con is fully of events, so it's tough to talk with strangers for even five minutes. But I have met a number of interesting fans at Shira Oka booths and panels, and on one side of the Hendane booth. In 2012, I suspect there will be at least a few Katawa Shoujo cosplayers... though I admit that I'm not very good at identifying outfits.

And it's only because I joined an anime club that I met two other VN / romance game fans, and talked with them for more than a few minutes. I have helped a couple people there appreciate Pia Carrot for PC-FX, the localized version of Sakura Wars 5, and RE: Alistair. I lent out a hard copy of Da Capo to a person who didn't like it, but for some reason I haven't received it.

I don't tend to talk about my interests much around my friends. For instance, one person I know spends a lot of free time on Halo and Skyrim. This individual is also an evangelical. I don't know if he will understand why I have Sakuya Morimura as a forum avatar, or why I have "Suited for Success" as background noise. ...Well, at least we both like sports and board games...
Rolanberry

Post by Rolanberry »

I've been talking about it none stop to my co workers since it came out. Some people get disgusted by the idea no matter how much I try to explain that 'people are people no matter what' but the idea of girls with any sort of disability makes them squeamish.

I have gotten 2 of my friends to play the game, and they love it now too.
Dexterspet

Post by Dexterspet »

Hell yeah. I got some of my friends to play it and they loved it.
Last edited by Dexterspet on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kai

Post by Kai »

Yeah, to my close friends who I know will probably like the game and will understand what a dating sim AND a visual novel is (That's the only way I can explain it?), then yes.

No, to my other friends who would probably think the following phrase is weird: "I'm playing this game where you choose to date different girls with disabilities and the writing is beautiful and the H scenes are done so tastefully that you won't even noticed. it made me cry".
They would honestly think I'm crazy or something, aka, they can't appreciate it. So there.
Gravy Boat Gary

Post by Gravy Boat Gary »

None of my friends have played Katawa Shoujo, although they enjoy anime and anime inspired things I have suggested it to a few friends. So I haven'ty really had anyone to talk to about it. I spoke to my housemate about it but I had to explain the nature of a VN to her, still she was good to speak too. I also spoke to my mother about it, but she's so awesome.
Lloonnee2

del

Post by Lloonnee2 »

del
Last edited by Lloonnee2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tmhizzy

Post by tmhizzy »

One of my friends started playing, and I think I got one of my other friends interested in it.