Game of the Year?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pauper

Re: Game of the Year?

Post by pauper »

I don't think it will happen, mostly because many people won't really consider KS as a game, and because it didn't really reached the mainstream gamers, < I could be wrong with that though!
Completed paths:
Hanako - Good ending
Shizune - Good ending
Emi - Good ending
Rin - Bad ending :$
Lilly - Bad and good ending

English isn't my first language, so I might make some mistakes when I write something ; )
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, even I don't consider KS a game. For me it's a novel. A novel with a bit of interaction, but a novel nonetheless.
That's only my personal opinion though. I am aware that there is no distinct border between novel and game where VNs are concerned.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Koopason

Post by Koopason »

Even though I think that the game really does deserve it, its just not "mainstream" enough to be nominated.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Nothing mainstream is going to have it on their list.
I can see a bunch of user reviews/lesser knowns giving it GOTY though.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Story driven games never win ( Heavy Rain comes to mind ) .... plus 360 fanboy , adult content will keep it out of the running
Solid Gold Wall

Post by Solid Gold Wall »

This isn't a video game at all. It's really a lot more like those "choose your own adventure" books.

Seriously, can someone tell me why they would think this is more like a game than a book? I mean, someone mentioned Heavy Rain, but in that, you actually do stuff. In this, you just click on a choice every once in a (not at all frequent) while. I'm not trolling or whatever, really curious to hear people's justifications.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Solid Gold Wall wrote:This isn't a video game at all. It's really a lot more like those "choose your own adventure" books.

Seriously, can someone tell me why they would think this is more like a game than a book? I mean, someone mentioned Heavy Rain, but in that, you actually do stuff. In this, you just click on a choice every once in a (not at all frequent) while. I'm not trolling or whatever, really curious to hear people's justifications.
See Metal Gear Solid 4.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Just because it's a book doesn't mean it can't be a game. Consider the Lone Wolf series of books, which feature branching choices but also a working inventory and even combat. If a book can be a game, why can a game not be a book?
Pl4t0

Post by Pl4t0 »

I love this game to pieces and would not hesitate to vote for it any sort of GOTY awards series, but to be honest:

I don't think Katawa Shoujo is a game.

It's a Visual Novel, which is just a step above being a choose-your-own-adventure novel. A damn well written, incredibly moving and poignant novel, but not much more than that. It's a niche thing, too - KS managed to miraculously break into the mainstream, but I don't expect that anybody who hasn't played it is going to do anything but laugh at any attempts to bring it into a serious GOTY discussion.

Not to mention, most of the big awards shows suck anyways and don't recognize anything that hasn't sold over a bazillion copies.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

The Game of the Year Awards is just as great as the Grammy's or The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

And by great, I mean full of shit.

if, for some strange reason KS wins Game of the Year, I am buying everyone 21+ a bottle of their favorite alcohol and the youngn folks get a video game.
alabaster

Post by alabaster »

rydiafan wrote:Story driven games never win ( Heavy Rain comes to mind ) .... plus 360 fanboy , adult content will keep it out of the running
Because all the violence and gore in the games that win Game of the Year isn't adult content, right?

I know, people actually do think that way. :?
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Well, Heavy Rain was its own can of worms. Interesting gameplay aside, it was riddled with plot holes. It was different, but by no means revolutionary.

As it would seem, the internet is in the minority when it comes to the hate directed towards the shooter generation. Naturally, there's going to be a lot of bias against it.

Whether a visual novel could be considered a video game is up to debate, but as I said before, there are some obvious reasons that KS wouldn't stand a chance. It would appear that we are also among the minority. Or so it would seem.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Mahorfeus wrote:Well, Heavy Rain was its own can of worms. Interesting gameplay aside, it was riddled with plot holes. It was different, but by no means revolutionary.

As it would seem, the internet is in the minority when it comes to the hate directed towards the shooter generation. Naturally, there's going to be a lot of bias against it.

Whether a visual novel could be considered a video game is up to debate, but as I said before, there are some obvious reasons that KS wouldn't stand a chance. It would appear that we are also among the minority. Or so it would seem.
It's just funny because I'm so incredibly bored with the gaming mainstream. Oh boy another shooter, same old same old.
Let's not even talk about FFXIII. It's the only game I literally fell asleep on the couch playing. I wasn't even laying down.

Yet this VN which had essentially no real interactivity (though you did have to click a lot to read) kept me captivated until sunrise... twice. Hell, I would have kept going if I didn't force myself to finally sleep.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Oh, I'm totally with you on that one. I stayed up hours past midnight because I wanted to see my Lilly good ending. Thought I got the bad end and nearly punched a hole in my wall.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Solid Gold Wall

Post by Solid Gold Wall »

Nekken wrote:Just because it's a book doesn't mean it can't be a game. Consider the Lone Wolf series of books, which feature branching choices but also a working inventory and even combat. If a book can be a game, why can a game not be a book?
Maybe a game could be a book. But Katawa Shoujo specifically is not. It doesn't have an inventory or combat. It's just a book where you click instead of turning the page. It has no gameplay. If you want to say best story of the year, or best book, then I'd be totally behind you on that.

Mainstream or not has literally nothing to do with this. It's like wanting it to win movie of the year because it has a couple cutscenes.

And Weaver, MGS4 certainly has a trillion cutscenes, but its gameplay is unquestionable. Even if you personally don't like it, at least it's there.