Game of the Year?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ziamatt

Game of the Year?

Post by ziamatt »

What do you think the chances are of Katawa Shoujo winning at least mainstream Game of the Year award?
Zet

Re: Game of the Year?

Post by Zet »

Katawa shoujo won Game of the Year the very second it was released.
TheKingOfFacade

Post by TheKingOfFacade »

Hopefully, Yes. Realistically, No. It isn't nearly mainstream enough to compete popularity wise with what releases that are planned for 2012. Mass Effect 3 for example, even if Bioware is now on par with Activision on how badly they are run. No doubt the next indefinate installement to Call of Duty too. It's a shame really, awards truly deserve to be given to this masterpiece irrespective of other contenders.
Mogami-kun

Post by Mogami-kun »

Had the game been released in 2011 it could have counted on my vote that's is for sure. It was far better than any of the overhyped stuff professional studios blurted out. I have high hopes for ME3 though and it is still the first month of the year, so it's early to tell. I'm sure it will be in my top 3 though. I don't think it will dominate any of the mainstream lists though. A pity.
"100%"
My final ranking: Hanako >>> Lilly > (Misha >) Shizune > Rin > Emi.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Zero. Sad but true, though not for lack of merit: it's just that no reviewer is going to touch this game with an 11-foot pole.
tmhizzy

Post by tmhizzy »

It deserves to be one in my books, and it is getting noticed. I first came across while randomly browsing through the internet then I forgot about it for awhile, then I came across it again on Kotaku when it got released. Also checked the comments and saw positive things being said about it. I think that it is getting publicity and only time can tell how popular Katawa Shoujo will become.

Post by Guest »

It wont. I doubt it would even be nominated. Not popular enough.

GoTY means nothing anyway.
Evvinartopski

Post by Evvinartopski »

From what I've seen accounced for this year, the competition isn't that high in 2012. Mass Effect 3's following the Modern Warfare route, now that Bioware is slowly turning into Activision's little brother. Valve's Dota 2 mostly caters to a small group... Street Fighter X Tekken? Nah. Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed 3... Possibly. At least consoles don't have to put up with Ubisoft's ridiculous DRM in AC3.

So hey, why not? As long as people don't judge this book by its cover it's got quite a chance.
Censored

Post by Censored »

Well sadly Visual Novels don't seem to get much attention outside of japan, which is sad there are quite a loot og really good one's out there.
So for that there is little chance for that but honestly, who needs thos mainstream awards, the opinions of the fans/community are far more important
and from what I saw KS should be up there. ^^

Also it'S quite subjective what a "good game" really is, KS ranks very high in my opinion, but there are enough other games I'm looking forward to (FFXIII-2 I'm looking at you :mrgreen:)
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

Depending on release dates wont it have The Last Guardian and Bioshock Infinite to contend with?

They're likely to be as much a masterpiece of story telling and writing as this game is. Especially The Last Guardian.
jaycee

Post by jaycee »

Maybe Visaul Novel of the year, but Game of the year I doubt, even if I would really love it
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay »

I think halo should win game of the year.

Joke aside (halo is good and I like it but this was only a joke *rolleyes*)
I think the only reason KS wouldnt be voted for as game of the year would be because its so "unknown" - I mean yes, a lot of people know it, but its not nearly as big as any of the big titles - (such as COD)
After playing Lilly's route I started eating pizza with a knife and a fork ^^ I'm such a gentleman.
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

I will admit, this game was good. Like, it was legitimately amazing. I could go on, but I must digress.

Unfortunately, because of factors such as the game's controversial subject matter, the chances of it going mainstream are low. It's better that way. Can you imagine what it would be like if FOX News set its eyes on this? I'd rather not toss them that can of worms.

"Game of the Year" is such a loaded title, but I'm willing to at least throw it onto my personal nominee list.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

A little premature talking about the Game of the Year in 2012 when it's still just January 2012, don't you think?
"[...] it's just a ride."
Evvinartopski

Post by Evvinartopski »

yuastnav wrote:A little premature talking about the Game of the Year in 2012 when it's still just January 2012, don't you think?
Our mind's eye is disabled in such a way that we can see into the future. Trust me, I'm an expert.