Favourite Route

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Rivin

Re: All in all, what was your favorite route?

Post by Rivin »

This is such a hard question.. They were all great but in different ways.. (I love em all lol) So I think I may have to play through each of them again before I can honestly vote...
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

Lilly, since she reminded me of a friend I've lost
She wasn't blind or Scottish-Japanese
just someone I depended on emotionally and she also appreciated honesty
However, I was selfish and never helped her.
Said friend moved away last year and we haven't talked since then.
uwa

Post by uwa »

Mirage_GSM wrote:... my favourite route is Emi's.

Why?

I guess it's because it is the most "realistic" of all the routes. Every bit of dialogue or inner monologue just felt right[/].
While the route has it's emotional moments and even made me cry at times, it's still basically lighthearted and fun to read.
It felt easy to connect with every character, even those who had only a couple of lines in the route.

Yes, this. I just couldn't get far enough into Rin's story (I kept getting pissed at Hisao), and Lilly's path was wonderful but had such a melodramatic ending. It completely sucked me in, but Emi's story could do that without a desperate heart-destroying dash to the airport. Lilly ended up my favorite character, but Emi's story was best.

I liked Hanako, and her story, more after I went back and tried the bad ends, but it still couldn't surpass Emi. Shizune's path made me laugh, and I came out of it really liking Misha, but overall it fell flat for me.
Emi > Lilly > Misha > Hanako = Rin > Shizune... I might just prefer women who put out a lot.
Mind-stickiness: Hanako > Misha = Shizune > Rin > Emi > Lilly
Kyou_kun

Post by Kyou_kun »

I'm really torn between Hanako's and Lily's but...
I'd have to say Lily because it reminds me of all the times I've moved and lost all my friends D:
It's the route I can most relate to.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I had to go with Rin.

I liked her, but I felt like I had no idea she wanted from me, and vice-versa. I had no idea what I was doing, or what I should do.

It's like I was dating again.

(PS: 25th anniversary next year)
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

I'm not making a decision on this until I complete a couple routes a second time.
NubChaos wrote:Considering I turn 20 later this year, I should really get started on figuring this out. But the bottom line is, I still just don't know what I'm meant to do.
Oh, yeah, better hurry up. You're almost out of time…

Says the guy who is figuring out what to do for a career at the age of 43.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Zeon Twilight

Post by Zeon Twilight »

I have to toss my vote into Hanako. I've played through all five routes, seen all the endings, and gotten my 100% completion.

But...I'm probably going to make a overly large review/loveletter to this game and 4Leaf anyway. So I feel no strong need to say to much here.
Ry74

Post by Ry74 »

While I do have to give hats off to Rin's route for providing the most "Well, that was unexpected", I actually like Hanako's route the most of all of them.
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

So far, Lilly. Working on Rin now and somehow I think it may change, but Lilly's has been the best written. Hanako was my favorite ending, though, especially knowing what (potentially) goes on to happen from Lilly's route. Namely her coming further out of her shell and joining the school paper. In my mind, she went on that summer holiday with her friends and brought Hisao with them. :)
Thrasher Thetic

Post by Thrasher Thetic »

Played em all. Liked Emi's the best because Hisaos decisions throughout were most in keeping with how I would personally react in some of the situations. I'm an active, athletic guy now, and if I suddenly found myself in that kind of situation I can't see myself just writing off every physical activity I enjoy. Emi's persistence would have been exactly the kind of thing to kick my ass into gear and convince me to fight the heart condition. (honestly I was a little miffed that you couldn't continue running in the mornings AND persue relationships with anyone but emi, but hey, they were a small team and can't include everything)

They were all strong though, I can't honestly criticize any of them, although Hisao did annoy me at times during a couple of em.
The only difference between theory and reality is that in theory there is no difference, but in reality there is.
Mogami-kun

Post by Mogami-kun »

After seeing every ending, my personal ranking is the following:

Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin > Emi.

I actually would have put Rin's path before Shizune's, but I felt frustrated with the choice options and it took its toll on the enjoyment value. I also absolutely loved the final CG of Shizune's route.
"100%"
My final ranking: Hanako >>> Lilly > (Misha >) Shizune > Rin > Emi.
KaneTaker

Post by KaneTaker »

Thrasher Thetic wrote:Played em all. Liked Emi's the best because Hisaos decisions throughout were most in keeping with how I would personally react in some of the situations. I'm an active, athletic guy now, and if I suddenly found myself in that kind of situation I can't see myself just writing off every physical activity I enjoy. Emi's persistence would have been exactly the kind of thing to kick my ass into gear and convince me to fight the heart condition. (honestly I was a little miffed that you couldn't continue running in the mornings AND persue relationships with anyone but emi, but hey, they were a small team and can't include everything)

They were all strong though, I can't honestly criticize any of them, although Hisao did annoy me at times during a couple of em.
I think thats why Lilly's had so much for me. Answered everything honestly.
Chiv

Post by Chiv »

I don't get why Lilly's path is so popular. She's definitely sweet and her path was very well plotted, almost like a hollywood movie, I felt like there were a lot of problems with the flow of it. I felt like a lot of the idea's and dialogue were almost non- sequiturs. He would be thinking of something, and then he would be talking or suddenly thinking about something else, and I would just be like "where did that come from?" Especially with some of the dialogue flow. It felt more like the characters were saying whatever the writer wanted them to say rather than them saying what the characters themselves would naturally say. There's no doubt I enjoyed the path still, but it felt to contrived which kept bringing me out of the story which kept it from being one of my favorites. I also had some issues with hanako, but I think those are more personal rather than objective, but I'm also really surprised that she's so popular. Rin's is great, but throught her entire path I was left in a mild state of depression, so I can't say it's my favorite. Shizune was my favorite girl, but her path left something to be desired, mainly conflict. In the end Emi ended up being my favorite path, Extremely well written and just a lot of fun.

in order its probably this.

Emi>Shizune>lilly>Rin>hanako
JimmyP424

Post by JimmyP424 »

Well to be honest, I have a tie here.
I loved Lilly's path because I think it actually gave a "Complete" kinda feel to the end. The way it tied up for the finale was heartwarming, and it really just felt well... right.
Emi's path was, I think, the most realistic one. I can't really explain it, it just seemed to make sense.
Shizune's path was good, however the ending of it left much to be desired, and I think it didn't answer a lot of questions about their futures.
Rin's path was incredibly dark and had me crying at points, it spoke volumes and it was really intense. It had some of the best writing in it I've seen in a long time.
Hanako's path was brilliant. No doubt about it. She's just so cute. The ending was great, and it had me crying manly tears. I think that it was the sweetest of the paths.
crystal

Post by crystal »

Yay for Lilly/Hanako, this site has great taste :D
Lilly path > Hanako path >>>> Shizune path > Emi path > Rin path.

My most heart wrenching moment...Misha getting a haircut.