Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Brogurt dont wanna log in

Re: Ask!

Post by Brogurt dont wanna log in »

ingordo wrote:
Brogurt wrote:
ingordo wrote:Surely you don't mean "whispered touch"? She leads HIsao to her room and strips in front of him, how can that be considered anything but consensual?
Did you forget the part where she did it because she wanted to show Hisao her scars and tell him of her past, since he did the same for her?
And she had to take off her bra to do that? :? :D As Hisao himself would say in a different path entirely: "gimme a break, you're undressing in front of me!" I just don't see how or when he acted like a retard in that scene.
Hanako said it herself. "This is me. All of me." It could easily just have been an act of trust or mutual sympathy. Since Hisao exposed his entire chest to her, everything he didn't want others to see, she did the same. The retardation stems from the fact that Hisao never once asked for consent or questioned her motives or tried to communicate in any way, and he made only one accomodation for her comfort: the condom.
GG Crono

Post by GG Crono »

Pimmy wrote:Lmao you butt, were you the one that was like SORRY IM NOT INTO THAT FETISH stuff when I was trying to explain the game to you? I remember someone did that haha.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that most certainly wasn't me. :D
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

Usually when someone starts fucking you, not saying "no" is taken as an okay. Imagine if Nurse-kun started grabbing Hisao's cock, you can be damn sure he would say "What the hell are you doing?" rather than just placidly letting Nurse bugger him, uncomfortable look on his face or not. It's just a typical sexist thing; no one would accuse Rin of sexually assaulting Hisao by "forcing" a kiss on him, but if a guy got high or drunk and then starting walking around with hardly any clothes on, making a girl uncomfortable, then lunged in and kissed her, people would say he was a drunken lout that assaulted her.

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako

Post by Guest »

How can I get in contact with the musicians who work on this game? Ya know, musician to musician and get some networking going on.
Oscuras

Post by Oscuras »

Congratulations on an excellent game. I've played GOTYs that I've had more complaints about than this simple VN created by a volunteer group.

2 questions.

First, as a (sort-of barely) musician myself, the composition of the sound track, particularly piano pieces like Painful History and Concord, greatly intrigued me. Is there any process or method that helped the musical developers achieve the sort of moods and feelings that those pieces and others like them bring about?

Secondly, if any of you do move on to other projects, KS related or not, will you be sure to let us know? You basically have a built in fan base, at least as far as I'm concerned.
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

Teclo wrote:Usually when someone starts fucking you, not saying "no" is taken as an okay. Imagine if Nurse-kun started grabbing Hisao's cock, you can be damn sure he would say "What the hell are you doing?" rather than just placidly letting Nurse bugger him, uncomfortable look on his face or not. It's just a typical sexist thing; no one would accuse Rin of sexually assaulting Hisao by "forcing" a kiss on him, but if a guy got high or drunk and then starting walking around with hardly any clothes on, making a girl uncomfortable, then lunged in and kissed her, people would say he was a drunken lout that assaulted her.
I don't like arguing about this in public, especially in a thread that's supposed to be questions and answers, but Hisao even mentions that it's possible that he raped Hanako. It's different because she is was pain and he even said something along the lines of "Could she have even said no if she wanted to?" There are more reasons that I feel the way I do about the scene, but I'm not going to clutter up this thread with them, especially because I'm hoping the devs are going to prove me wrong.

If you have any further questions or arguments, kindly direct yourself to my PM box and I'll be sure to oblige. :)
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly

Post by Guest »

What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Member22 wrote:How large was the core dev team (with writers, proof readers, musicians, artists and programmers)? How many contributors/part-time/small role members of the dev team was there?

So in total, how many people were involved in this project?
Answer depends on how you count the devs. There are a total of 21 people mentioned in the credits of KS, that is, people who clearly have something concrete they have made in the final game. ~15 of them did major contributions (and might count as a "core" team if we go by your list).
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

McBaggin wrote:If you had to stay on an island with another dev who would it be and why?
Kamifish. She's level-headed and we (probably) wouldn't try to kill each other as the first thing. (This question resulted in a lengthy discussion about cannibalism in the 4LS irc channel and I am now afraid of Hivemind and moekki -__-)
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Guest wrote:What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (hope that won't ruin the ending permanently for anyone). Your guess is just as good as mine.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

quellsnarg wrote:Hey Suriko (and possibly cpl_crud):

This has been on my mind for about a week and I've been trying to get the balls to post this, but I figure if I never ask, I'll never even get a chance of knowing.

I've been looking at reviews on other websites as well as this one, and I see that I'm not the only one who feels like the sex scene with Hanako was really uncomfortable to watch because the consent appears pretty dubious, even after the fact (although this isn't exactly a widespread opinion and the opinion seems to be held mostly by women, from what I've gathered). All the other girls had sex scenes where it was pretty obvious that they did want sex/physical comfort, even in the awkward Misha and Rin masturbation scenes (and I did notice that Hisao stopped when Misha showed pain). In Hanako's, I didn't really feel that way. He didn't stop when she was obviously in pain and she looked pretty uncomfortable for most of the scene. Why did you decide to write a scene that can potentially be read as date rape or coercion? I don't mean that in an inflammatory way necessarily, and I can see how it can be interpreted as at least semi-consensual, I'm just genuinely confused... about a lot of things in that scene and the intentions behind it, honestly, and I'd like some clarification if you feel like giving it.
It wasn't rape. This is made slightly clearer in the park scene afterwards with Hanako; she thought it would happen, and that if it did, Hisao would come to think of her in a different way afterwards (though the idea quickly goes south when neither has any idea of what to do the day after). Hanako is not very good at communicating with others or guaging their emotions, and teenage hormones can fuck things up. Virgin sex also sometimes turns out kinda shit for one or both participants when it comes to being comfortable or not.

The fact that the mood of the scene is slightly ambiguous was known and intentional, though perhaps not quite to the extent that some took it.
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Slart wrote:A question to Nichol, which BGM is each cutscene's piano arrangement based on? I know Shizune's is The Student Council, and Hanako's is Puddles and Raindrops, but I can't put my finger on Lilly's or Rin's. Another thing I'd like to know is if there's full versions of of these arrangements.
They're all based off of their character's respective themes, so Rin's is "Parity" and Lilly's is "Concord". I realize I deviated from the original tunes pretty vastly, though. The music was written specifically for each video, so there are no extended versions. What you hear in the game is all I have.
Oscuras wrote: First, as a (sort-of barely) musician myself, the composition of the sound track, particularly piano pieces like Painful History and Concord, greatly intrigued me. Is there any process or method that helped the musical developers achieve the sort of moods and feelings that those pieces and others like them bring about?
There is no real process. The way the soundtrack was written was pretty sporadic, since I never knew too much about the game myself. More or less I was told what sort of mood the piece of music needed to fill, and I wrote down the first thing I heard in my head.
Jameson wrote:A quick and simple question, what program was used to compose the music used within Katawa Shoujo?
I first sequenced MIDI files using Finale, and then sampled and mixed them in FL Studio. I couldn't tell you how Blue123 or Juno composed their tracks, though. Everyone uses a slightly different method.
Guest wrote:How can I get in contact with the musicians who work on this game? Ya know, musician to musician and get some networking going on.
You can find us all on the IRC or shoot us a PM on these forums.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Aura wrote:
Guest wrote:What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (hope that won't ruin the ending permanently for anyone). Your guess is just as good as mine.
Aura, did you model Rin after Mary Poppins...?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Drake wrote:
Aura wrote:
Aura, did you model Rin after Mary Poppins...?
No. That was a joke.
Drake

Post by Drake »

Mind if I ask who you did model her after then?