ScumBag Emi

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

jatmdm

ScumBag Emi

Post by jatmdm »

Kinda felt like this after her route. Discuss?
Weaver

Re: ScumBag Emi

Post by Weaver »

Maybe she made a... grave mistake.
jatmdm

Post by jatmdm »

O I C WAT YA DID THAR
Benkei

Post by Benkei »

I wouldn't react with quite the same level of hostility evinced by your choice of thread title and image macro, ... but I completely agree that it seemed insensitive, to say the least, that she would celebrate with Hisao, much less have sex with him, not only on the anniversary of her father's death but the very moment her mother drops them both back off at school.

I don't think Emi meant any terrible disrespect to her father ... but the thing is, and this is established fairly well in Emi's route both in her good and her bad ends alike, that:
  1. Emi is one horny little bunny. So if anyone was going to do this, it was going to be her.
  2. Emi can be rather insensitive at times. Throwing her boyfriend out of her house for prying, acting like she and her ex-boyfriend had never even been an item (something which is eerily experienced firsthand by Hisao in the Bad End), disregarding school rules meant to ensure the safety of others for her own selfish pleasure, etc. That doesn't make her a scumbag, though. :| It just means she hovers a little farther on the insensitive side of the sensitivity spectrum.
  3. Emi can be rather rash at times. We see this, too, in how she throws Hisao out of the house with murder in her eyes, only to ten seconds later bust out the puppy dog eyes and be all "I'm sowwie. :( Please don't go." This suggests she doesn't always think things through before doing them -- she just does what feels right to her in the heat of the moment. And at that moment, after she got back from the cemetary, I guess she ... I guess she just felt like it was worth celebrating with Hisao that their relationship was not only restored but was blossoming into something fuller, better.
I'll admit, these sound like apologetic ramblings, not very persuasive justifications for her behavior. But ... I still think that calling her a scumbag is extreme. I agree with you in general -- what she did made me raise an eyebrow and question the proprietary of such an action -- but I don't agree with you in the degree to which you seem to have been upset by this.
jatmdm

Post by jatmdm »

Benkei wrote: I'll admit, these sound like apologetic ramblings, not very persuasive justifications for her behavior. But ... I still think that calling her a scumbag is extreme. I agree with you in general -- what she did made me raise an eyebrow and question the proprietary of such an action -- but I don't agree with you in the degree to which you seem to have been upset by this.
I get what your saying, and calling her a scumbag is a bit much, but toward the end I thought to myself, "Is she really gonna have sex with her boyfriend, THE SAME DAY?". It was kinda ridiculous.
Sickhawk

Post by Sickhawk »

She revisits memories of her father with her boyfriend, demonstrating her willingness to let him closer to her than ever before. This bittersweet (mostly sweet) milestone in her emotional development and their relationship is later consummated with wholesome fucking.

Seems OK to me.

Attend the funeral of a close friend
Have a hearty sit down breakfast right afterwards

Kinda felt like this after this movie. Discuss?
Lunar Archivist

Post by Lunar Archivist »

jatmdm wrote:Kinda felt like this after her route. Discuss?
This sounds a bit crazy to me, to be honest. I mean, if Emi had Hisao had decided to have their second round of anal sex with her hunched over her dad's tombstone and her mother watching, I'd probably agree with you. But she'd just finished crying, reconnected emotionally with her boyfriend, and wanted a round of mood-boosting nookie. I don't really see where the shame in any of that is.
Sickhawk

Post by Sickhawk »

Lunar Archivist wrote: ...if Emi had Hisao had decided to have their second round of anal sex with her hunched over her dad's tombstone and her mother watching...
giggles
Harco

Post by Harco »

I didn't feel like that at all. Maybe because I do, in a way, the same thing? You see, my father died eight years ago, on December 31 in the morning. Yes, the last day of the year. I usually go visit his grave in the afternoon, after which I go home and celebrate -- yes, celebrate -- New Year's Eve with my friends and family. But hey, I guess I am a scumbag now. Because how dare I, partying and feeling happy on the anniversary of my father's death? I should sit in a corner and cry, dammit, because that's what people do on the anniversary of a loved one's death. At least, that's what everyone whose parents still live tells me...

Sarcasm aside, I think Emi just felt very nervous about taking her boyfriend to her father's grave and thereby letting him come close to her on an emotional level. That was kind of a big step for her, you know? And what happens to be the best way to relieve stress? Indeed, by having sex. And not sex because they were horny, but sex because they loved each other. At least, that was what it looked like to me. The sex they had up until that point felt playful, this was the real deal. I found it heartwarming to be honest.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Lunar Archivist wrote:
jatmdm wrote:Kinda felt like this after her route. Discuss?
This sounds a bit crazy to me, to be honest. I mean, if Emi had Hisao had decided to have their second round of anal sex with her hunched over her dad's tombstone and her mother watching, I'd probably agree with you. But she'd just finished crying, reconnected emotionally with her boyfriend, and wanted a round of mood-boosting nookie. I don't really see where the shame in any of that is.
I agree. It didn't really seem like the actual act of visiting the grave affected here adversely; it was just everything that surrounded that. Once the visit was over and she spoke her mind to Hisao it was all essentially done. Not that she didn't still miss her dad, but just that she was finished thinking about it for the day.
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

jatmdm wrote:
Benkei wrote: I'll admit, these sound like apologetic ramblings, not very persuasive justifications for her behavior. But ... I still think that calling her a scumbag is extreme. I agree with you in general -- what she did made me raise an eyebrow and question the proprietary of such an action -- but I don't agree with you in the degree to which you seem to have been upset by this.
I get what your saying, and calling her a scumbag is a bit much, but toward the end I thought to myself, "Is she really gonna have sex with her boyfriend, THE SAME DAY?". It was kinda ridiculous.
Keep in mind that it's been years since the accident, and I think that does matter.

I agree with everything everybody else has been saying, and I'll add this:

Emi's dad would want Emi to be happy. It seemed like they had a really great relationship and Emi obviously still loves her dad a lot. Taking Hisao to her dad's grave is a huge step for Emi, both in confronting that she has issues with being open and finally opening up to Hisao and trying to not have secrets... at least that's what it felt like to me. And he was there to be with her when she was sad, which she hasn't really let him do that much before. I agree with Harco in that the last sex scene was more like passionate lovemaking than something spontaneous and unmeaningful. It would be different if she was doing something sacrilegious, so to speak, like having sex on the grave or something, but she didn't so I don't see the big deal.

Ah yes, Emi's a horrible person because she wants to have consensual sex with her boyfriend. :roll:
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
purple haired Katawa Shoujo character

Post by purple haired Katawa Shoujo character »

It felt like sex on an emotional level was just the next step in their relationship. Visiting the grave allowed them to grow closer and what happens when you fall in love with some one? You fuck. Unless you're Mormon or something.
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

Benkei wrote:...acting like she and her ex-boyfriend had never even been an item (something which is eerily experienced firsthand by Hisao in the Bad End)...
What are you talking about? Do you think her ex-boyfriend is the track captain for some reason? Is there any reason to think she was lying when she (and Rin) said he was gay?
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

Fronzel wrote:
Benkei wrote:...acting like she and her ex-boyfriend had never even been an item (something which is eerily experienced firsthand by Hisao in the Bad End)...
What are you talking about? Do you think her ex-boyfriend is the track captain for some reason? Is there any reason to think she was lying when she (and Rin) said he was gay?
The nurse too, let's not forget that. He didn't say it outright but he heavily implied it.
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Hey, don't overlook the symbolism of "sex as defying death and celebrating life" -- she's getting past her father's death and finally starting to accept it.