Would love to see a KS 2 someday

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Lolz2day

Re: Would love to see a KS 2 someday

Post by Lolz2day »

Well if you guys still want to make a VN then we'll have to start from scratch (different setting, story, character). Suriko just said that we can't make a VN attached to KS, so we'll just have to make a different story/series.
TheGrimAngel

Post by TheGrimAngel »

Suriko wrote:I hate to come down on a thread like this. From this line you can probably guess what's coming.

The KS license prohibits any derivative work to Katawa Shoujo being produced. We waive this provision at our discretion, and have absolutely no problem doing so for fanfics, fanart, music, whatever. It's really cool to see people making that kind of stuff for KS, and it's nice to see how other people see the game, its themes, and its characters, and how they communicate that through their art/writing/music.

That said, a line has to be drawn somewhere. We've discussed this internally and had to make some hard decisions to try and be both unambiguous, but also not come off as overprotective. This line is drawn at visual novels. We won't and never will give permission to produce a sequel (or prequel) to Katawa Shoujo, because in our minds KS was this single project and it's our preference to keep it that way. Besides this, using the Katawa Shoujo title for any visual novel (eg. "Katawa Shoujo 2") would be way out as well.

Another part of this is the fact that if anyone can harness the talent to make a visual novel, it would be really disappointing to see it used on retreading the same ground that Katawa Shoujo did. Think you have the resources to pull off the creation of a visual novel? Great! That's awesome, because you have the means to use a pretty cool medium to tell an entirely new story. Make the most of it, and we'll be pleased as punch to have inspired you to create something new.
Well that is a shame and I can understand where you all are coming from, and I'm honestly not surprised that the line has been drawn at making other visual novels based around the game.
Lolz2day wrote:Well if you guys still want to make a VN then we'll have to start from scratch (different setting, story, character). Suriko just said that we can't make a VN attached to KS, so we'll just have to make a different story/series.
Well my only ideas rotated around a new KS but if anyone has some ideas for a new VN I am open to them, I just downloaded Ren'py and have started teaching myself how to use the program. SO PM me I guess if you got any ideas
Why pick a favorite character? Each of the story was beautiful and touching in its own unique way.
Rykthrall

Post by Rykthrall »

Ah well, s'pose the idea was just a little too far out of our reach.

But the idea of a new VN entirely, inspired by 4Leaf Studios and their dedication to their work?
I do like that >.>

I don't have any ideas right now sorry to say, but perhaps tomorrow guys? I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I will be greatly amused if this turns into another huge project like KS. But hey, the ideas not too far-fetched and there's no telling what might or might not happen.
t0xic

Post by t0xic »

I have idea for characters with deep and sometimes dark storys (of cours with disabilities). But they don't have to be attached to KS story at all

I will present them here later if I can?
Ryukrieger

Post by Ryukrieger »

@Rykthrall: Well, my friend, time will tell.
t0xic wrote:I have idea for characters with deep and sometimes dark storys (of cours with disabilities). But they don't have to be attached to KS story at all

Yes, and of course, that would be welcomed, but we should discuss a bit among ourselves first.
t0xic

Post by t0xic »

Ryukrieger wrote:@Rykthrall: Well, my friend, time will tell.
t0xic wrote:I have idea for characters with deep and sometimes dark storys (of cours with disabilities). But they don't have to be attached to KS story at all

Yes, and of course, that would be welcomed, but we should discuss a bit among ourselves first.
Yea your right
crystal

Post by crystal »

Rubytyr wrote:Heh, I jsut simply stumbled across it while surfing around - completely fluke, a day after it's release.
Me too, on the escapist no less. So glad I did. I'm happy I wasn't around for the demo. If I had to wait 2 years after playing act 1 I may have died ^_^.(Though my first two act 1 playthroughs were the Kenji end, so if I gave up there at least I would have had closure.) Thank again to the hardworking people who made this excellent game.
Lilly path > Hanako path >>>> Shizune path > Emi path > Rin path.

My most heart wrenching moment...Misha getting a haircut.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Suriko wrote:I hate to come down on a thread like this. From this line you can probably guess what's coming.

The KS license prohibits any derivative work to Katawa Shoujo being produced. We waive this provision at our discretion, and have absolutely no problem doing so for fanfics, fanart, music, whatever. It's really cool to see people making that kind of stuff for KS, and it's nice to see how other people see the game, its themes, and its characters, and how they communicate that through their art/writing/music.

That said, a line has to be drawn somewhere. We've discussed this internally and had to make some hard decisions to try and be both unambiguous, but also not come off as overprotective. This line is drawn at visual novels. We won't and never will give permission to produce a sequel (or prequel) to Katawa Shoujo, because in our minds KS was this single project and it's our preference to keep it that way. Besides this, using the Katawa Shoujo title for any visual novel (eg. "Katawa Shoujo 2") would be way out as well.
I was honestly coming into this thread today with the intention of asking this very question. No, really.

And to be honest, this is probably for the best. As I said in previous posts, I've never been entirely sure that a sequel would be a good idea anyway; I laid out my reasons for that. But at the same time, there really was a part of me that wanted to continue the work, even though I wasn't sure it was wise. Because of that, I really do feel better now that there's an unambiguous denial of permission. It closes the book, and closure is good: I don't have to let this bug me anymore.
MDV

Post by MDV »

If you guys want to make a VN, I want to join in. I have zero knowledge of programming and I'm not good at drawing either. I'm pretty good at making up concepts/scenario's though, or at least that's what people tell me sometimes. I'd like to make a VN that takes place in a contemporary European setting, but still drawn in animesque style. It would start out as pretty much every VN, with an average high school dude meeting some girls, but evolve into a serious story with a lot of social commentary in it. If have some ideas for routes as well.
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

The KS license prohibits any derivative work to Katawa Shoujo being produced. ...

Although this is a rather disappointing notice (I kind of felt there are so much more about KS background that can be explored even in VN form - would be interesting to see this carried on by a different team) but I do agree that it is quite good if KS may inspire a further creative efforts - heck it might even start a trend of VNs!

Anyway at the moment KS is still hot out of the oven into the serving plate. Once the buzz is over and a the team may feel on taking on further project, I'll make sure to be one of the first to follow, be it an entire new creation or some expansion of the KS project.

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
QbertEnhanced

Post by QbertEnhanced »

I think its important to look at just how this was handled. Disability was never made the focus of the story, rather, the focus was on people, their hopes, personalities and personal demons. So any game made to "spiritually" succeed this should look towards THAT as inspiration. Taking place in a school for the disabled was an extraordinarily good way to generate publicity, I highly doubt that this game, taking place in an everyday school, would have received even half the coverage it did. And I believe that the inspiration from seeing positive reactions to the game in progress really helped the game progress.
TLDR; Come up with an interesting hook and interesting characters, don't do something that's already been done, make something of your own.
MrJackFrost

Post by MrJackFrost »

I think a prequel or "extension pack" might be more suitable for KS, since a sequel will (just like the others said) ruin the spirit of the ending. Well, it would be different if the MC is not Hisao, though.
Carpo diem! -- Seize the day!
QbertEnhanced

Post by QbertEnhanced »

I'd love to see an extension personally, but that of course is in the hands of the original creators as well as fan fiction writers and such. I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread or another the idea of a fan made continuation was firmly come down upon. Maybe if the devs see enough interest they'd consider an addendum in the form of an epilogue, if only to give a bit more closure to those who crave it.
MrZeval

Post by MrZeval »

I think I would rather have them make a entire new VN with different setting/characters. If they were to make a sequel it might potentially spoil our imagination of the respective character future's.
Rykthrall

Post by Rykthrall »

For anybody still watching this thread, we have not ditched it at all, we simply moved to a separate forum.
PM TheGrimAngel for more info.