Discussion - Emi Route (*Spoilers* Warning)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Prospektor

Re: Discussion - Emi Route (*Spoilers* Warning)

Post by Prospektor »

imperial.standard wrote:Okay, I know I may get flak for mentioning this but I personally think Emi is the most shallow character of the five girls we get to choose (even Misha has a more complex character dilemma).
(...)
Emi's characterization of an emotionally scarred person hiding behind a cheery facade doesn't strike me to be anything novel.
Well, since you asked for it :wink:
I'm kinda lost what new and original problems people see in Lilly and Hanako; in my opinion, those two are the shallowest characters. Lilly's problem (I don't want to be a burden) comes only up in the very last minutes, is immediately resolved and far from a deep characterization; the main problem here is the move to Scotland, some outward influence. Hanako is very shy, but what personality hides behind it? She likes to play chess and reads ... and? Basically, she only gains self confidence, and that's it.
So I have to strongly disagree; compared to that, Emi's characterization is much more complex.
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

Prospektor wrote:
imperial.standard wrote:Okay, I know I may get flak for mentioning this but I personally think Emi is the most shallow character of t
So I have to strongly disagree; compared to that, Emi's characterization is much more complex.
Well I guess each to his/her own. Probably our real life experience and values would affect and how we relate and judge the characterization of the girls (and a real gem created by the writing team of KS, no doubt!)

Again, that being said, I still enjoy Emi's route far more than Rin's - although I sure did hope there were more branches of events in Emi's route...

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
Palas

Post by Palas »

alabaster wrote:
Prospektor wrote:You're right, the very last episode could have been an epilogue, I kinda looked at it that way, too. I don't know why (only) Lilly has an epilogue after the credits, but from what I understood, a few people missed it due to not using the "skip" button or waiting for the credits to end, so maybe, in the time of shorter and shorter attention spans, it's an understandable decision to put it before the credits? It's hard to tell, in a book you can just title it "epilogue" and everybody knows where to place it, but I can see the trouble when doing it in a VN, which plays out more like a movie.
It's weird to me that people don't watch the credits. I always watch the credits of something I've enjoyed. I guess I think of it as sign of respect to the people who created it. I just feel wrong skipping over that part.
But there are credits in the opening scene.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
Nazz

Post by Nazz »

This guy got dragged into Emi's route by simply telling Mr. Nurse that Hisao would exercise. I wasn't really going for that, but in the end, I was happy with the emotional rollercoaster that was Emi. I find that lingering affection around when she pops up in new playthroughs.
alabaster

Post by alabaster »

Palas wrote:But there are credits in the opening scene.
It's not about that, though. It's not about just seeing the names of the devs -- if that's all it was, I'd just take a look at the manual. It's about, at the end of something really wonderful, sitting back and just giving it that extra few minutes (or in the case of KS, I think it's even less than a minute) out of respect. It's also a nice opportunity to reflect on what you just experienced.
Nazz wrote:I find that lingering affection around when she pops up in new playthroughs.
Tell me about it. As much as a liked my second playthrough with Lilly, the couple times Emi popped up, I just kept wanting to run off with her instead.
Palas

Post by Palas »

I was in tears when the credits were rolling after Emi's (and Lilly's) path. Really, they could have put a Badgers Badgers Badgers animation and my reaction would be the same.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
urishima

Post by urishima »

Finished her route just now and while it didn't draw me in and took me for an emotional rollercoaster that left me somewhat drained even after the good end like Rin's route did, it was still a VERY good route.

The ending just made me so happy. I'm sitting her after having the credits roll and smile, not caring that it is again way too late and I will regret staying up so long when I go to work tomorrow.
Feels incredibly good. probably exactly what I needed after Rin's path... even though I still kinda feel like a jerk for not waiting longer... sounds stupid...

Didn't get the bad end, also too scared to go for it just for the sake of 'completing' the game. Like I said in Rin's thread, stuff like that sticks with me for weeks.

Her good end makes me want to do something. I need to get out there and do something...
Rin - finished
Emi - finished
Shizune - finished
Lilly - finished
Hanako
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

The bad end actually isn't that, uh, bad. Makes you appreciate the good ending even more I think. I won't go into details.
Daverost

Post by Daverost »

Xuan wrote:One, after choosing to talk to Meiko, got found out by Emi, and at the rooftop after Rin left they talked to each other, Emi's supposedly still defensive reaction suddenly turn 'I'msosorryIloveyouIloveyoudon'tleaveme' was a little awkward and weird. If you choose to 'Go After Her' instead of talking to Meiko the scenes later reveal a CG, so I supposed the writer was kind of lazy or blocked to write this scene? But talking to Meiko was supposedly the 'right' choice to make, so...
I agree, it was weird. I liked the other scene a lot better. In the rooftop scene, she seemed too quick to get over it and patch things up. In the track scene, she was much more hesitant to let him back in and she was still hesitant even after her breakdown. She even told him to leave so she could have some time to sort things out. I feel like that one has handled a lot better.
Caesius wrote:The bad end actually isn't that, uh, bad. Makes you appreciate the good ending even more I think. I won't go into details.
Bad end made me want to cry. And kill myself. And possibly punch a baby. And that was after I saw the good end and knew how things were supposed to be.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Eh, I guess different people will have different reactions to it. Personally I found that it mostly just elicited anger, all of which was directed towards Hisao. I think it's important to see the bad end just to witness the kind of negative, childish, hopeless attitude that can lead one to throw everything they have away. I would imagine that that scene will be very familiar to some people.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Daverost wrote:In the rooftop scene, she seemed too quick to get over it and patch things up. In the track scene, she was much more hesitant to let him back in and she was still hesitant even after her breakdown. She even told him to leave so she could have some time to sort things out. I feel like that one has handled a lot better.
Well Hisao didn't put his foot quite as far into his mouth before that one... In their fight in the other path he made some very insentitive comments about her father and she had good reason to be mad at him.
Caesius wrote:The bad end actually isn't that, uh, bad. Makes you appreciate the good ending even more I think. I won't go into details.
Emi's bad end affected me the worst, (except for Rin's) simply because it's so realistic. I'd hate for a relationship of mine to end that way.

And I refuse to use spoilertags if the thread title already contains an explicit spoiler warning
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Flammz

Post by Flammz »

What's up with people calling Emi a "slut"?? Just because she had a boyfriend before? Silly.
Prospektor

Post by Prospektor »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Emi's bad end affected me the worst, (except for Rin's) simply because it's so realistic. I'd hate for a relationship of mine to end that way.

And I refuse to use spoilertags if the thread title already contains an explicit spoiler warning
Yes, Emi's bad end was the worst to leave me feeling empty and cold (cold in contrast to the very hot rage in Hanako'sbad end. Whenever there is so much emotion, screaming etc., it feels as if there's still a chance she may apologize for her outburst later; whereas in Emi's bad end there's just no room for that, just this meaningless "yeah, whatever, see ya around" attitude)

And I guess spoiler tags are only needed when "spoiling" other character's routes. Spoiling Emi is fine in an Emi thread.
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

Flammz wrote:What's up with people calling Emi a "slut"?? Just because she had a boyfriend before? Silly.
yeah, some people just can't handle a girl actually *GASP!* liking sex and having more than one boyfriend in her life. pretty sad. :mrgreen: the phrase I've heard is "owns her sexuality", and even though I saw it when someone was talking about a woman in Mass Effect (don't remember which one), it works for Emi too.

I hate it when sex is portrayed as such a bad or shameful or whatever else negative thing. thing is, that's part of why I liked Emi's path so much, she wasn't shy about all that. hell, of all the girls, Hanako is the only one who doesn't directly initiate sexytimes, and even then, her one sex scene... yeah. So why's it Emi who gets called names, hmmmm?
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Prospektor

Post by Prospektor »

Flammz wrote:Silly.
I'd like to suggest to leave that topic alone. I've seen other threads here trolled to death (they've been closed) on that matter. I think we all know that those people cannot be serious, so it's best to disregard them completely. It would be a shame to derail this thread (I assume that wasn't your intention).