Put your money where your mouth is

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Would you be willing to pay for DLC/add on content for KS ??

Yes
79%
No
12%
Unsure
9%

Total votes: 117

Xuan

Re: Put your money where your mouth is

Post by Xuan »

I'll say this very realistically. I've been dabbling with VNs for two years plus now, and the truth is I have never needed to pay a SINGLE CENT for them. Technically speaking VNs are games and they are priced and I should be buying them properly, but as you all know that does not work on the Internet. I downloaded them for free and illegally. Period. Same thing goes with add-ons and patches and stuff (Most of them are REALLY free though).

So. If KS is ever going to release priced DLC (Never going to happen, but assuming), all you needed to do is to wait exactly three days and the DLC will be absolutely free to download somewhere. Internet. You may hate me for saying this, but unless you're a hardcore fan of KS spending money on the DLC when you could've just wait a few days to get them for free is, well, stupid. Money is precious after all.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

Xuan wrote:I'll say this very realistically. I've been dabbling with VNs for two years plus now, and the truth is I have never needed to pay a SINGLE CENT for them. Technically speaking VNs are games and they are priced and I should be buying them properly, but as you all know that does not work on the Internet. I downloaded them for free and illegally. Period. Same thing goes with add-ons and patches and stuff (Most of them are REALLY free though).

So. If KS is ever going to release priced DLC (Never going to happen, but assuming), all you needed to do is to wait exactly three days and the DLC will be absolutely free to download somewhere. Internet. You may hate me for saying this, but unless you're a hardcore fan of KS spending money on the DLC when you could've just wait a few days to get them for free is, well, stupid. Money is precious after all.
that maybe true but thats only certin ppl ..... with all the pirates out there .... artists like lady gaga, JB ( i wont say his name lol ) and such still sells millions of albums ... so if 8 out 10 ppl pay for KS ...
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

While I hope one day the devs come together again and maybe make a sequel or a totally new game, I don't want money to be involved. They already said it would have killed the project. I don't want them to abandon the great sense of charity they had
Carnificus

Post by Carnificus »

Yuno wrote:While I hope one day the devs come together again and maybe make a sequel or a totally new game, I don't want money to be involved. They already said it would have killed the project. I don't want them to abandon the great sense of charity they had
Yeah I agree, I think it would have been a completely different game if they'd been inspired by money. Of course I'd love to see them get together again in the future and do something but if they don't I won't complain, Katawa Shoujo is an amazing game and I'll continue to enjoy it for years to come, whether it's because I'm playing it or just because I have the memory of it.
"Stories never begin nor do they end. They are comprised of people living, an endless cycle of interacting, influencing each other, and parting ways. As long as stories are told they shall not have clear endings." -Vice President Gustav St. Germain
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

Yuno wrote:I don't want them to abandon the great sense of charity they had
Well they aren't doing this exactly for "charity" although if they do (the second time round probably), it probably be the holiest spawn of 4chan yet, barring from saving kittens from abuses... :roll:

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
ThreeStep

Post by ThreeStep »

I didn't pay for the main game, why would I pay for anything that comes after it?
t0xic

Post by t0xic »

ThreeStep wrote:I didn't pay for the main game, why would I pay for anything that comes after it?

Because it was AWESOME EXPERIANCE?
It's 1000x much better than MW3 (which is obviously almost copy&paste from MW2/MW1 - yeah i have MW3 and I play it) so just a litlle support from our side as "thank you for that heart stoping moments". ?

My god... people sometimes behave like jackass :/
Nyarly

Post by Nyarly »

Hypothetically speaking (well, due to the high unlikeliness, one can't speak otherwise), I sure would.
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

I already tried to offer them money as it were. Put me on yes.
Rolanberry

Post by Rolanberry »

Yuno wrote:While I hope one day the devs come together again and maybe make a sequel or a totally new game, I don't want money to be involved. They already said it would have killed the project. I don't want them to abandon the great sense of charity they had
That's true that money can start to cause problems. But I think if it was done all for the cause of a charity it be easier to stay on task without it being a 'for profit' work.

Heck alot of charity's actually take a good amount of the donations and pocket it, while giving maybe 1% of the money to the real cause. I'd put way more faith in a KS charity then most.
NomadicElectron

Post by NomadicElectron »

note: I am grounded in reality and know that paid DLC for this game is never going to happen. That being said, I'm no angel. I pirate things very often and, unlike lots of pirates, I don't even convince myself that somehow I deserve it and it's ok to pirate - I know I'm in the wrong. If KS were released costing a mere $5 I probably would have pirated it because at the time I knew nothing about it except that the concept sounded like it was full of lulz.
Now that I've played it and found it's much more than the passing novelty I originally (wrongly) dismissed it as I would be happy to pay for DLC even if every site on the internet was giving it out for free. I'd pay for it simply because it's worth it (I assume, I probably wouldn't pay $100 for a new route or anything) and as a way of thanking the people involved for dedicating so much of their own time to making it.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

After a thorough funds audit (who needs to eat every day, anyway!) I guess I could cough up about 28$ 57c.
But considering the delivery fee to my almost-entirely-not-backward country... well I guess I better just go nad put those money in the mailbox.
Frwell

Post by Frwell »

I don't because i feel like KS as it is now as a whole. It wouldn't feel right to add something to it.

Anyway it will never happen.
Darkish-One

Post by Darkish-One »

I said yes even though I like KS as it is. DLC would be nice like extended acts for each route showing what happens next because good ends doesn't mean there won't be hardships later on and I'm curious about what happens over time for each route, I know I'm not the only one right? Besides if we have a good end and extended DLC for a route we could see if we can keep the story on a good path or bad, resulting in how things might end up in later years because IRL we never truly know how life plays out so adding this twist to an already good end can make things interesting.
Maybe other DLC as well like that one April Fools blog, giving new choices to existing decision moments. There's alot of ideas for a VN like this even though we already know where they'll mot likely go.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

People are going to always want more when something this well made and this moving comes along. At least it does have an end, as the developers intended, rather than being cut short like, Firefly or Arrested Development.

At the end of the day it's not about the money but if this game can raise awareness of the issues people with disabilities have to deal with, and maybe inspire people to become proactive to their cause then that's more than I think anyone could have hoped for.