Would love to see a KS 2 someday

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Rolanberry

Re: Would love to see a KS 2 someday

Post by Rolanberry »

I'd be all for a KS 1.5 over a direct sequel. Thats actually something it seems like they do alot for Japanese games of doing a re-release with more content of a game.

While its true some things are better left to the imagination...that it almost adds more value to the work by having the reader think up 'what happened next' and where things can go from there...it still just be great to see it in person.

Some times a little bit of fluff can be nice~ I'd be all for a Misha route even if it REALLY is a just friends route (and that be cool really, a completely platonic relationship route) And a Miki route because she so amazingly tan~

Small add-on's really make a fantastic game like this one even more...fantastic-er.
(also mandatory beach and Kimono scene for every girl!)
TheGrimAngel

Post by TheGrimAngel »

I think 4LS becoming a legit game producer would be good. Actually releasing games that people have to pay for. If any games they release are the same quality of KS I would definately not mind paying.
Why pick a favorite character? Each of the story was beautiful and touching in its own unique way.
t0xic

Post by t0xic »

TheGrimAngel wrote:I think 4LS becoming a legit game producer would be good. Actually releasing games that people have to pay for. If any games they release are the same quality of KS I would definately not mind paying.
+1 byt it's just a dream :( well... maybe some part of that group will make a team?
Ryukrieger

Post by Ryukrieger »

There isn't by any mean they would continue this, independently, any of 4LS can continue the game, if they have interests and passion, where did KS come from otherwise?
They had the passions for the project and made Katawa Shoujo in these long years, so if any of them suddenly have interests and the passions to continue, I don't mind. If they don't, I won't mind either.
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

If anything there is a possibility that a hardcore Katawa Shoujo fan spurred by the beauty of the game takes matter into their own hands and created an unauthorized sequel/spinoff/expansion game without permission from the original team...

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
Rubytyr

Post by Rubytyr »

ultrarare wrote:I wouldn't even need a complete game. Just a quick little addon to KS making it KS 1.5. Something that provides later scenes and situations of each character. Something to provide closure.

My literary side says that it would be stupid because letting the reader draw their own conclusions is a magnificent way to end a story.

My emotional side wants to see Rin or Hanako in a wedding dress...
You hit the nail on the head, though I still like the idea of a story with context explaining how they reached marriage. But even a "5 years later" screenshot would hit the spot.

Maybe I should do some fan fic, or at least comission some artwork to give me those scenes! :D

EDIT: spelling is hard
imperial.standard

Rubytyr wrote: Maybe I should do some fan fic, or at least comission some artwork to give me those scenes! :D
If you do this sir, then you are full of win!

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton
Member22

Post by Member22 »

I have this gut feeling that Aura, cpl_crud and the remaining devs are double facepalming while reading this... while silentcook is getting the lock thread cannon ready

...but this is a good idea tho, if implemented correctly and, as said above, avoids the god of war syndrome
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
imperial.standard

Member22 wrote:I have this gut feeling that Aura, cpl_crud and the remaining devs are double facepalming while reading this... while silentcook is getting the lock thread cannon ready
If anything, I don't think the members here in this particular topic to be anything but showing their immense love and hope of continuation for the fruits of labor of the KS devs...

In fact, this may serve as a motivation for the involved development team members / individuals to probably continue their creative efforts for the enjoyment of all!

gammaraptor

Post by gammaraptor »

Rolanberry wrote:I'd be all for a KS 1.5 over a direct sequel. Thats actually something it seems like they do alot for Japanese games of doing a re-release with more content of a game.

While its true some things are better left to the imagination...that it almost adds more value to the work by having the reader think up 'what happened next' and where things can go from there...it still just be great to see it in person.

Some times a little bit of fluff can be nice~ I'd be all for a Misha route even if it REALLY is a just friends route (and that be cool really, a completely platonic relationship route) And a Miki route because she so amazingly tan~

Small add-on's really make a fantastic game like this one even more...fantastic-er.
(also mandatory beach and Kimono scene for every girl!)
KS 1.5 would be a good idea.
NomadicElectron

Post by NomadicElectron »

As much as I liked it I think a sequel would be hard for this game. Even if you went with the KS v.1.5 idea it would be difficult to implement because the big conflicts in the storylines were basically resolved. I mean every relationship has a few bumps you could focus on, but compared to the problems in the first game it would be like making a story about a guy who outruns a tribe of angry headhunters and jumps into a volcano to rescue a girl to prove his love for her and then following it up with a sequel in which he goes to the store and buys her some tampons.

As far as a new game in the same setting, it would be hard for it to not be derivative. Mainly because all the good disabilities were taken - blind, deaf, no arms, no legs, burn victim. So we would either copy that or we would have to pick a disability that readers may not be all that familiar with, keeping them from being able to empathize with the character. Or we'd end up with, and I might sound like a shallow bastard here, one that would make the girls not cute. Let's be honest, cute is important. Hanako may have burns all over but she's still cute. If she had a disorder that caused her to be a 1000 pound blob of fat and she starts blubbering about how sad she is that she'll never find love you'd just say "Oh, so sorry to hear that. Anyway, I'm going to go make out with Lilly."

It's easy to get swept up in the "I WANT ANOTHER KATAWA SHOUJO!" feeling. Even I thought to myself "Hey, I'm a writer! I can learn RenPy!" but then I really thought about it and it ended right where it should have and anything else wouldn't have the same feeling. Sometimes it's best to just let go and enjoy what you have rather than try to stretch it out and end up with something that's just a blight upon the beauty of the first one.

That's my (incredibly long-winded) opinion, anyway.
Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Rin>Shizune
Rolanberry

Post by Rolanberry »

Rubytyr wrote:
ultrarare wrote:I wouldn't even need a complete game. Just a quick little addon to KS making it KS 1.5. Something that provides later scenes and situations of each character. Something to provide closure.

My literary side says that it would be stupid because letting the reader draw their own conclusions is a magnificent way to end a story.

My emotional side wants to see Rin or Hanako in a wedding dress...
You hit the nail on the head, though I still like the idea of a story with context explaining how they reached marriage. But even a "5 years later" screenshot would hit the spot.

Maybe I should do some fan fic, or at least comission some artwork to give me those scenes! :D

I actually love commissioning art work. I've done it a whole bunch due to pictures of things I wanted not existing haha. Even going so far as to have a concept mock up made of a figure I wanted and then having a figurine commissioned and made as well.

If a artist that can match the style of KS can be found I would certainly commission some fan art (lots and lots of Hanako and Rin probably too.)
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

ultrarare wrote:My emotional side wants to see Rin or Hanako in a wedding dress...
[shimmie]2027[/shimmie]
Ryukrieger

Post by Ryukrieger »

imperial.standard wrote:If anything there is a possibility that a hardcore Katawa Shoujo fan spurred by the beauty of the game takes matter into their own hands and created an unauthorized sequel/spinoff/expansion game without permission from the original team...
Well, they could always ask for permission from the team, fanworks are appreciated almost everywhere, I think.
Member22 wrote:I have this gut feeling that Aura, cpl_crud and the remaining devs are double facepalming while reading this... while silentcook is getting the lock thread cannon ready

...but this is a good idea tho, if implemented correctly and, as said above, avoids the god of war syndrome
In any case, if they don't agree, they might even have fun reading us ^^"
imperial.standard wrote: Maybe I should do some fan fic, or at least comission some artwork to give me those scenes! :D
That would be great.
Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:[shimmie]2027[/shimmie]
That's just......!
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote: [shimmie]2027[/shimmie]
I can die in peace now
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'