Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Re: Ask!

Post by cpl_crud »

Ugh, not going to quote 'cause tired.

To the person asking about emotions from my own writing.
I originally had a massive crush on Hanako that developed into me treating her like a daughter. That was a pretty heavy emotional attachment, but it was dissolved with the second draft. But the arrow of causality is reversed in this case (not the way you are thinking).

To the person asking about death in Bad Ends.
Originally (when I was far more weaboo) there was a lot of death in my Bad Ends. But then one day I found that having Hisao have to live with not having Hanako (after only trying to help her) would be far more sould crushing than "Oh LOL you're dead."

To the person asking about more writefaggotry:
http://cplcrud.wordpress.com
That or start reading theatre/broadcasting technical magazines.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Brogurt wrote:Now, from what I've heard, the only Bad End in the game that ends in Hisao actually dying is Kenji's bad end in Act 1. Is there any reason that death was avoided for the other bad ends?

Obviously Kenji's bad end isn't nearly as jarring as, say, Hanako's bad end, partially due to the fact that you don't have a relationship with anyone if you've gotten Kenji's bad end. And with the given bad ends, it wouldn't be feasible to shoehorn death into them the way I see it. But I think it would have been possible to write a bad end -earlier on in the development process- that had both death and depression, no?

Or would something like that be way over the line for the tone KS tried to convey?
I'm sure we could've made ends where Hisao dies, and crud especially did play with the idea. The problem is that Hisao dying in the terms of story would always need to be an unfortunate accident, like the Act 1 bad ending is. With that, there's the risk of the chain of events becoming too contrived and illogical, and the reader immersion or emotional impact of the bad end could suffer heavily.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Reiraku wrote:Pardon if I missed it from earlier in the thread, but are any of the writers currently working on any new projects? I would love to hear about any upcoming works (VN or not) from Suriko or Crud. (Lilly's path being my favorite with Hanako a close second.)
Not at the moment
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Dylan wrote:You guys have the word counts for each path handy?
No, but they are something like 65 000-90 000 words each.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

AutisticPsycho wrote:1) How much did you bribe the mods in /a/ to get them stickies? :P ;)
2) Any advice for people like to making their own VNs?
1) They were paid with not having to moderate the 4 first pages of their board filled with KS threads.
2) You probably suck, get over it and work hard to not suck.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

McBaggin wrote:What would each girl dress up as for Halloween ?
http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/list/halloween/1
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Jintor wrote:Any chance of a new artbook?

That might be contributable towards?
It's not out of the realm of possibility. We invite only people we know and like to contribute to them.
Jintor

Post by Jintor »

Aura wrote:

It's not out of the realm of possibility. We invite only people we know and like to contribute to them.
Would you consider inviting artists from the shimmie?

*becomes increasingly transparent*
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Tom wrote:If it's not too personnal Aura, I wanted to know if you studied in an art school and used your personnal experience to write Rin's path ? I talked about Rin's artistic struggles with old friends I was in art school with and they were surprised how well you managed to decrypt the personal art struggles that even some of them could not explain so clearly.

Sorry if it's out of the place. :wink:

Edit : omg my english is so bad, sorry, lack of sleep.
I've never studied art, no. However, one of the fundamental themes of Rin's struggle, the difficulty of transfering of ideas from one's mind to other people, is something I'm sure pretty much all creative people experience.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

geno93n0 wrote:I noticed that all the major characters in the game, as well as some minor ones, are all sort of "paired" in a complementary way, i.e. serious Shizune and bubbly Misha, outgoing Lilly and shy Hanako, and energetic Emi and laid-back Rin. I even think of plain Mutou contrasting with flamboyant Nomiya, and misogynistic Kenji contrasting with guy-friendly Miki.

My question is, was it the devs' intention to set the characters up in such a way that most, if not all of them have someone who is their polar opposite? Or did it simply turn out that way?
Yes, it's intentional. The setup is a very fundamental technique to drive our character dynamics, and it's used throughout the game. You can also see it in work in the contrast between Nomiya and Sae, Akira and Hideaki, and Kenji and Hisao (Miki is not Kenji's foil)
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

McBaggin wrote:Do you guys feel like all of your KS work is finished or that you are okay with what you have released ?
I think KS is all right.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Rivin wrote: What do you think the hardest stage/part of making a VN is?
It feels like that organizing and getting everyone to compromise their ideas to get on a basic path we all could agree upon was more difficult than the writing, art design, and coding we've completed thus far. Do you guys feel the same way looking back?
Organizing people can be hard or easy, it completely depends on the people. Having to fight over whose ideas are the best is poison. We avoided it by giving everyone a massive amount of autonomy over their own work. That way the arguments and discussions remained on the intellectual level (mostly).

Hardest part for us was communication. KS was a massive project being made by a ton of people scattered around the world. We just could not reliably keep track of everything or keep everyone in the loop. To do that, we'd have needed 1-2 "supervisors" that would've only dealt with inter-team communication and/or force everyone to use significant amounts of time in the project bureaucracy, which would've cut into the actual working time (but on the other hand, also increased our efficiency).
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Jintor wrote:
Aura wrote:

Would you consider inviting artists from the shimmie?

*becomes increasingly transparent*
Well yeah, a very prominent fanartist might very well get invited.
finalizer

Post by finalizer »

Suriko wrote:the Mechwarrior series
You ever play MWLL? I'd love to thank you by blowing your ass up sometime :mrgreen:
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

How did some of the art from the final game get out early (you could spot some of it on /a/, for example)? Was it deliberate?