This game has destroyed my head...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Harlequin13

This game has destroyed my head...

Post by Harlequin13 »

Yes I know that sounds abit extreme, but god damnit. I have been unable to sleep properly two nights in a row now. I've frequently felt nauseous during the days. You know, I just noticed ontop of this page it says "Katawa Shoujo Forums (don't panic, it's just a game)". Was that last part added after the release of this or has it been there all the time? Because for some reason it's exceptionally appropiate if it's supposed to help people like me. It's just a game... IT'S JUST A GAME... RELAX...

And you know what? I haven't even finished it, and I'm not sure I should. I've only done the Hanako and Shizune paths. Hanako first because she reminds me of myself alittle - although I'm not a girl.

So let's see, how could this be... Why would this "game" make you lose yourself like this...

... You know, there are too many things to mention really. But suffice it to say, Katawa Shoujo is a rollercoaster of emotions. It's a one of a kind experience. Well I guess it doesn't exactly help if you are like me and thus easily affected by reading certain words and sentences, plus hearing certain tunes at the right moments. Yes you know what I'm talking about.

It's a piece of art. Yea, it is. An amazing piece of art. Incredible. Wow. What else could you say? It's beautiful.

Well I'm gonna try to move on now. It won't work for a while no doubt since I probably should do the other paths aswell. In any case, after all that I will continue this emotional VN adventure that first started for me with the game "999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors". It's a DS game... It's incredible too, but for different reasons. It's a mindf*ck in any case. And yes, Katawa Shoujo is only my second VN that I've ever played. I'm almost starting to think that it would be very unhealthy for me to continue with these things, but the experience is immense.

"Ever 17 Out of Infinity" seems like the next stop for me, if you were wondering. It looks very intriguing.

/"Harlequin"
yuastnav

Re: This game has destroyed my head...

Post by yuastnav »

Harlequin13 wrote:Yes I know that sounds abit extreme, but god damnit. I have been unable to sleep properly two nights in a row now. I've frequently felt nauseous during the days. You know, I just noticed ontop of this page it says "Katawa Shoujo Forums (don't panic, it's just a game)". Was that last part added after the release of this or has it been there all the time? Because for some reason it's exceptionally appropiate if it's supposed to help people like me. It's just a game... IT'S JUST A GAME... RELAX...
[...]
I am not sure when it was added but I think it was for more reason than one, especially, if I am not mistaken, 4ls did not anticipate such an emotional response. However saying this is "just a game" is also probably supposed to discourage people from flaming and trolling and getting at each other's throats. Happens on every gaming forum at one point or another.
Harlequin13 wrote: [...]
And you know what? I haven't even finished it, and I'm not sure I should. I've only done the Hanako and Shizune paths. Hanako first because she reminds me of myself alittle - although I'm not a girl.

So let's see, how could this be... Why would this "game" make you lose yourself like this...
[...]
Why not? It is no different from a well written book and it is rather easy to get lost in those. The fact that this is a visual novel and has music makes it a "bigger experience" and it is easier to captivate the reader since imagery and music can evoke very strong emotion and they are even emphasised when combined with an emotional story.
... You know, there are too many things to mention really. But suffice it to say, Katawa Shoujo is a rollercoaster of emotions. It's a one of a kind experience. Well I guess it doesn't exactly help if you are like me and thus easily affected by reading certain words and sentences, plus hearing certain tunes at the right moments. Yes you know what I'm talking about.

It's a piece of art. Yea, it is. An amazing piece of art. Incredible. Wow. What else could you say? It's beautiful.
[...]
Same here. The more emotional a person is the greater the impact will be. (:
Well I'm gonna try to move on now. It won't work for a while no doubt since I probably should do the other paths aswell.
[...]
Good luck!
"[...] it's just a ride."
ardiel

Post by ardiel »

If you ask me, the "don't panic, it's just a game" is ironic and sarcastic. :roll:

Maybe it wasn't when it was written, but it sure is now. Lucky for me my head was already destroyed. :lol:
zeroyuki92

Post by zeroyuki92 »

The first time I noticed "Don't panic, it's just a game" is when the developers post it as a reminder for people who gone a bit impatient when there are no sign of activity in blog for a month or two, around last year. So I guess it was there to remind people to not exaggerate anything, bad or good. Well, but I guess having some story affect you so much is a good thing. I was also like that the first time I encounter heavily-character-driven story :)

Btw, Ever 17 is a good choice. Although it's already old, it still regarded as one of the masterpiece in (at least, translated) visual novel history.
And it also contained a kind of...legendary plot twist.
shin0bi272

Post by shin0bi272 »

I kinda know how you feel when it comes to playing. I think its because of several factors not the least of which is the text which when read in your head, while looking at a picture of an anime girl looking sad or happy, and listening to the sometimes hauntingly sad midi piano music, evokes a response in almost any male. See the traditional role of the male in society is to protect and defend the women and children. So when you see a dainty flower like Hanako who when you treat like a normal person she runs away. That causes you to naturally feel like you screwed up and want to change your approach... which in the end is the wrong way to treat her. She wants to be treated normally but she has to force herself to do things that she doesnt want to do, and she more often than not ends up running away from her problems. But if you change your approach further and dont take advantage of the situation when you have her alone after Lilly leaves it pisses her off. Which is completely counter to the way she acts when you try to treat her like a normal girlfriend! Which is obviously confusing and frustrating. So that's part of the rollercoaster of emotions in the decisions and the reactions that occur. They are all different of course but they all have the same tactic... get you to fall in love with the girl and accept your past/current predicament and look ahead. Something all high school and college kids need to do in their last year of school.
Harlequin13

Post by Harlequin13 »

zeroyuki92 wrote:The first time I noticed "Don't panic, it's just a game" is when the developers post it as a reminder for people who gone a bit impatient when there are no sign of activity in blog for a month or two, around last year. So I guess it was there to remind people to not exaggerate anything, bad or good. Well, but I guess having some story affect you so much is a good thing. I was also like that the first time I encounter heavily-character-driven story :)

Btw, Ever 17 is a good choice. Although it's already old, it still regarded as one of the masterpiece in (at least, translated) visual novel history.
And it also contained a kind of...legendary plot twist.
Yes, it seems to be given alot of praise, so I wanna try it. It looks like it has a good mystery to it.

Oh and I'm gonna try Umineko aswell, or whatever it's called... The one about some golden witch or something. I just hope that one puts alot of attention on the characters aswell and not solely the mystery. Well I'm guessing it does.
shin0bi272 wrote:I kinda know how you feel when it comes to playing. I think its because of several factors not the least of which is the text which when read in your head, while looking at a picture of an anime girl looking sad or happy, and listening to the sometimes hauntingly sad midi piano music, evokes a response in almost any male. See the traditional role of the male in society is to protect and defend the women and children. So when you see a dainty flower like Hanako who when you treat like a normal person she runs away. That causes you to naturally feel like you screwed up and want to change your approach... which in the end is the wrong way to treat her. She wants to be treated normally but she has to force herself to do things that she doesnt want to do, and she more often than not ends up running away from her problems. But if you change your approach further and dont take advantage of the situation when you have her alone after Lilly leaves it pisses her off. Which is completely counter to the way she acts when you try to treat her like a normal girlfriend! Which is obviously confusing and frustrating. So that's part of the rollercoaster of emotions in the decisions and the reactions that occur. They are all different of course but they all have the same tactic... get you to fall in love with the girl and accept your past/current predicament and look ahead. Something all high school and college kids need to do in their last year of school.
Yea, you're right, and I suppose... It's not too strange. Although I don't care how strange it is even if it was... Wait, you know what this scenario reminds me of? Kimi ni Todoke. Ah well, not exactly the same but still. Hanako reminds me of Sawako. Geez, that anime also smashed my head, it's pretty damn ridiculous how utterly stupid those characters in there get at some point. It actually got annoying and I had to fastforward past some of it in the second season.

One thing is for sure, playing through Shizune's path wasn't as bad as Hanako's. Note that when I say bad, I mean good. It's bad (for my head and heart) when it's good. Confused? Me too.

Still not sure if I'll ever play the rest. I already know Lilly's ending, because of me reading spoilers around here. And no, I don't mind. I'm grateful that I don't have to go through that stuff myself.
shin0bi272

Post by shin0bi272 »

Harlequin13 wrote: Yea, you're right, and I suppose... It's not too strange. Although I don't care how strange it is even if it was... Wait, you know what this scenario reminds me of? Kimi ni Todoke. Ah well, not exactly the same but still. Hanako reminds me of Sawako. Geez, that anime also smashed my head, it's pretty damn ridiculous how utterly stupid those characters in there get at some point. It actually got annoying and I had to fastforward past some of it in the second season.

One thing is for sure, playing through Shizune's path wasn't as bad as Hanako's. Note that when I say bad, I mean good. It's bad (for my head and heart) when it's good. Confused? Me too.

Still not sure if I'll ever play the rest. I already know Lilly's ending, because of me reading spoilers around here. And no, I don't mind. I'm grateful that I don't have to go through that stuff myself.
this is my first what do they call them VN? either way You should do Emi's route. its cute and sweet at the end.

Post by Guest »

I'm with you. It has been 3 days since i played Rin's route and i'm still a total wreck. Being a lonely shut-in does not improve it haha.
SirRazer

Post by SirRazer »

Somehow I agree with the OP.
This game caused me more sleepless nights than my exams did...
If I read a good book, it can happen that I almost start crying at sad parts of the story. Wanna know why? If I read a book which is good written, I don't simply read it. It's more like mental cinema. It's more like you are the protagonist.

And this game is ...epic. Epic in every aspect.

I started over and over again, taking a different path everytime. Soon I had a pile of savegames with the different paths, but not a single one was finished ( :oops: ).
I didn't want it to end. I didn't want to see the end, even if I managed to get the good ending. Strange, I think. Never happened to me before like this, and I tried some of this type of game.
Well, in the end I did it, I can't simply stop with such a good game. As I already said (wrote :p): Epic. Emotional.

And when I had achieved everything I could, I felt somewhat ... empty. Still, I started anew :lol:

(Unfortunately, I can't send you my thoughts of it directly into your head, which would be the only way to tell you what I really wanted to say. But with my bad English this is probably the best I can do. :?
Maybe should have tried using a translator.)

EDIT: And I'm a fool, as I see that I could've posted this without making an account...well, I regret nothing ;)
Ryuushima

Post by Ryuushima »

I so get what you mean , been playing this game for 4 days now and I simply can't stop. All I do is eat and sleep enough to not lose focus and play the rest of the time.
Done the Emi, Hanako , Shizune and Rin route so far ( in that order ) and they all leave a really strong impression. Even though I must say the rin route left an impression thats just too strong , i'm having a hard time moving on from her even though it was a route I didnt expact much from in the beginning.
Sigh , I don't want it to end!
The only one left is the sweet Lilly but somehow I feel that once I'm done with her route it will all really be over. Damn it this VN is just too good for our health and I know that i'm just rambling on but I can't help it.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Ryuushima wrote:I so get what you mean , been playing this game for 4 days now and I simply can't stop. All I do is eat and sleep enough to not lose focus and play the rest of the time.
Done the Emi, Hanako , Shizune and Rin route so far ( in that order ) and they all leave a really strong impression. Even though I must say the rin route left an impression thats just too strong , i'm having a hard time moving on from her even though it was a route I didnt expact much from in the beginning.
Sigh , I don't want it to end!
The only one left is the sweet Lilly but somehow I feel that once I'm done with her route it will all really be over. Damn it this VN is just too good for our health and I know that i'm just rambling on but I can't help it.
Next job after complete,
replay a particular character path and do deep study or research about that character, i.e. her personality, traits, why is she doing this etc. :)

or you can be like me, thinking of weird stuff like this :lol:
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4984
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
The Local Hentai

Post by The Local Hentai »

Although I'm sleeping well I've been dreaming of these girls on occasion. For example last night, I had a dream about my head wrapped around by Misha's plump thighs, her cotton candy colored bush nuzzling my nose, her hand firmly gripped on my hair. All of a sudden, Hanako bursts into the room yelling something about having burns and thoroughly complaining about them. I said, "BITCH! I'm dying!", she ran out and I woke up. Felt really bad about it.
Rinbro

Post by Rinbro »

I want to share a secret with you all I got from a reliable source: Katawa Shoujo is a clever ploy of the feminist conspiracy to get all men weak and emotional in order for them to be easily subdued. If this trend continues they will take over soon, so get your act together guys or this will be the end. If I don't post here again tomorrow it will mean they got me too ;_;
Can you face your feels?
t0xic

Post by t0xic »

Rinbro wrote:I want to share a secret with you all I got from a reliable source: Katawa Shoujo is a clever ploy of the feminist conspiracy to get all men weak and emotional in order for them to be easily subdued. If this trend continues they will take over soon, so get your act together guys or this will be the end. If I don't post here again tomorrow it will mean they got me too ;_;

You sounds familiar... do I know you? KENJI :O?
SirRazer

Post by SirRazer »

Rinbro wrote:I want to share a secret with you all I got from a reliable source: Katawa Shoujo is a clever ploy of the feminist conspiracy to get all men weak and emotional in order for them to be easily subdued. If this trend continues they will take over soon, so get your act together guys or this will be the end. If I don't post here again tomorrow it will mean they got me too ;_;
Well, ya know....maybe it is. Still: Totally worth it! :lol: