Fullscreen Mac

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
CkretAznMan

Fullscreen Mac

Post by CkretAznMan »

I have a problem in which my game can't enter fullscreen mode. I haven't played the game elsewhere but on my Mac. The option for it is a few shades lighter than the other options, and nothing happens when I click on it. Is there any way for me to play this game in fullscreen mode?
lanaer

Re: Fullscreen Mac

Post by lanaer »

I have this same issue. Running OS X 10.7.2 on a 2009-era Mac Pro, with a 27" display (2560 x 1440 resolution).
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

Yeah, full-screen isn't supported in OSX Lion. Sorry to break it you ya.
Warclam

Post by Warclam »

I recently upgraded from Leopard to Lion, and forgot to change KS to non-fullscreen. Now it tries to start up in fullscreen, and crashes. Is there any way to fix it, or do I need to just start over with a fresh installation?
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Warclam wrote:I recently upgraded from Leopard to Lion, and forgot to change KS to non-fullscreen. Now it tries to start up in fullscreen, and crashes. Is there any way to fix it, or do I need to just start over with a fresh installation?
You can try to delete ~/Library/RenPy/katawashoujo_actual/persistent, but that will remove all settings AND persistent data like unlocks. I guess you get to keep your savegames. Reinstalling would require you to do the same thing anyway though, on its own it would not change anything.

Edit: if you're technically inclined, you can browse the app bundle and put a text file with the .rpy extension into Resources/autorun/game (call it fullscreen.rpy or something), with the exact following contents:

Code: Select all

init python:
    _preferences.fullscreen = False
This is just off the top of my head, but it should work and maybe it's worth a try. Of course, I'm not guaranteeing anything and I'll assume that if you're poking around in app bundles you halfway know what you are doing.
Warclam

Post by Warclam »

delta wrote:You can try to delete ~/Library/RenPy/katawashoujo_actual/persistent, but that will remove all settings AND persistent data like unlocks. I guess you get to keep your savegames. Reinstalling would require you to do the same thing anyway though, on its own it would not change anything.
Yeah, that did it, thanks. Now I just need to get my extras back…

Skip mode, awayyyy!
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Aw, you were too fast, i just outlined another method above. Well, maybe it's useful to someone else though I'd assume this is a somewhat rare case.
Saint Fiasco

Post by Saint Fiasco »

delta wrote:Aw, you were too fast, i just outlined another method above. Well, maybe it's useful to someone else though I'd assume this is a somewhat rare case.
Your second method worked great for me on the Linux version. Thanks.
I could start Katawa Shoujo in fullscreen mode just fine, but if I tried to disable fullscreen in the options menu, the game would crash.
Carak

Post by Carak »

I just had a look into the application package and noticed the game uses Ren'Py 6.10.2e. Since the fullscreen mode works properly in version 6.13, would it be possible to update the engine related files in the package, to make fullscreen work?
I'm aware that there are some incompatibilities between the Ren'Py versions, so you probably had a reason not to update, but I thought it can't hurt to ask if it would be feasible.
sabusa

Post by sabusa »

Hello!
I just discovered the game and would really like to play it in fullscreen mode, but both of my macs have Lion. Will there be a fullscreen mode for Lion any time soon or is it impossible at all?
onenightblitz

Post by onenightblitz »

sabusa wrote:Hello!
I just discovered the game and would really like to play it in fullscreen mode, but both of my macs have Lion. Will there be a fullscreen mode for Lion any time soon or is it impossible at all?
Not sure. Katawa Shoujo was compiled on a Ren'Py version 6.10.2e, which was made before the release of Mac OS X Lion. Presumably, bug fixes were implemented after said version. Unless our dear 4LS devs can recompile the whole game in a newer version of Ren'Py, there's no way you could have KS on fullscreen.