The Path(s) Not Taken

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Fronzel

The Path(s) Not Taken

Post by Fronzel »

In visual novels' peculiar image of a mutable reality, what happens when the player doesn't make certain decisions can be as interesting as what happens when he does.

This can be a problem, actually. Famed VN Kanon is a melodramatic game that's trying to make you cry, but all but one of the routes end on a happy note. However, what you learn in each route leads to the conclusion that without the actions of the player character, all but one of the girls would have died. That means that whatever route you're playing, the other girls (but one) meet horrible ends.

So what happens to the ladies sans Hisao in KS?
Geroaergaroe

Re: The Path(s) Not Taken

Post by Geroaergaroe »

Fronzel wrote:
They join Kenji on the roof for a manly picnic.
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

... It still depends on the path taken.

Rin just stays Rin probably regardless of everything. I'm afraid what this will eventually lead to, however.
Emi seems pretty self-sufficient if you ask me.

That leaves Lilly, Shizune/Mischa, and Hanako.

Hanako gets on pretty well if you are friends with her in Lilly's route (which is pretty much required of you in order to complete it). Some even suggests she is better off without Hisao in such a way, but Lilly mentions Hisao's presence was still crucial in giving Hanako a greater sense of self-worth and confidence.

Lilly might have decided to stay in Japan anyway if Hisao wasn't in hers or Hanako's route. Why? Because without Hisao, Hanako isn't so well and she might decide to stay for her sake alone. I heard some of the endings even suggest so.

As for Shizune/Mischa, who knows. Shizune is pretty much self-sufficient, but unless Mischa suceeds in her own plot, she might grow to be a bit too harsh and bitter. Not neccessarily, however.

Also, Kenji may just manage to kill them all. You never know.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

Actually, I wonder what happens to the school and the other characters after the "manly picnic" bad end.
INFERTakuya

Post by INFERTakuya »

sporkaganza wrote:Actually, I wonder what happens to the school and the other characters after the "manly picnic" bad end.
Kenji mourns the loss of a valuable comrade.

Any girl who's taken a liking to Hisao would be inconsolable for a while, and the ever-cheerful Misha may actually be depressed for multiple days in a row (something which otherwise apparently only happens nearing exams).
Endings Obtained

Emi: Bad End|Second Chance|Good End
Hanako: Bad End|Neutral End|Good End
Lilly: Bad End|Good End
Shizune: -In Progress-
Rin:
heavyweather

Post by heavyweather »

Rivan wrote: Lilly might have decided to stay in Japan anyway if Hisao wasn't in hers or Hanako's route. Why? Because without Hisao, Hanako isn't so well and she might decide to stay for her sake alone. I heard some of the endings even suggest so.
I think that the opposite could happen. Lilly could see the writing on the wall (pun intended) with the first invitation, and try and get Hanako out of her shell, so that she can join her family with less guilt.
Demoneq

Post by Demoneq »

Rivan wrote: Lilly might have decided to stay in Japan anyway if Hisao wasn't in hers or Hanako's route. Why? Because without Hisao, Hanako isn't so well and she might decide to stay for her sake alone. I heard some of the endings even suggest so.
Hm, I don't think so. (spoilers are for Shizune and Lilly)
In Shizune's route, when they are visiting her family, there are Lilly and Akira there, explaining how they are leaving the next day etc. Seeing as, as far as I remember, it's past Tanabata festival (in Lilly's route/good ending, she leaves to go to Scotland for good a short time before the festival, I think, and misses it as a result - it probably takes place, when Hisao is in a hospital after trying to catch her) - they are probably on the way to move there, with Akira having broken up with her boyfriend, and Lilly not having as serious reason to stay as in her own route.
Though (in Shizune's route) we see Hanako managing to come to the Student Council room to get a new ID (even if she panics later), so what heavyweather wrote is also possible - that Lilly managed to get Hanako out of her shell at least a little, and she (Hanako, that is) can handle herself and contact with others somewhat better.

I have Emi and Rin left to do yet, though, so if something happens there, I wouldn't know. (but don't tell me, I want to find out myself, if it is so)
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

INFERTakuya wrote:
sporkaganza wrote:Actually, I wonder what happens to the school and the other characters after the "manly picnic" bad end.

Any girl who's taken a liking to Hisao would be inconsolable for a while, and the ever-cheerful Misha may actually be depressed for multiple days in a row (something which otherwise apparently only happens nearing exams).
Why would Kenji mourn? After all he murdered Hisao in that ending. He himself said that if he was going to kill somebody he would throw them off the roof and make it look like an accident. All he had to do was chip away the concrete where the fence post was and get Hisao to back into that part of the fence. Would be easy considering Hisao's pattern of backing away whenever Kenji would lean in for a closer look.
Rubytyr

Post by Rubytyr »

Otakumon wrote:
INFERTakuya wrote:

Why would Kenji mourn? After all he murdered Hisao in that ending. He himself said that if he was going to kill somebody he would throw them off the roof and make it look like an accident. All he had to do was chip away the concrete where the fence post was and get Hisao to back into that part of the fence. Would be easy considering Hisao's pattern of backing away whenever Kenji would lean in for a closer look.
you gotta admit though, as tragic and dark as it was, it was also kinda funny. :)

"Theres a breeze blowing around me, but Kenji seems to be getting smaller - so thats good."

They say comedy and tragedy are hand-in-hand in most theatrics
VIVI

Post by VIVI »

Otakumon wrote:
INFERTakuya wrote:

yes, but probably he will never do that sober...in pther part, the actitude of Kenji had changed since the "bad end day" to graduation in each one of the paths. in almost all the ends, he ended be a kind of friend of Hisao.
in other side, since i played the demo for first time, i founded strange who in a school who is practially an hospital, that roof no where right secured, specially thinking who students with motor or sight problems up there all days for eat their lunch.
viduuskamen

Post by viduuskamen »

These are just my thoughts, assuming if Hisao never showed up at the school / entered the girls' lives.

Hanako: She would still kind of be in her shell; while she still showed signs of recovery normally (playing chess with Shizune in Shizune's route); it isn't quite as fast as how she became more outgoing in Lilly's route. Much of her opening up is due to Hisao's presence regardless of romance. So I think It is likely that she doesn't recover enough before Lilly has to leave.

Lilly: Most likely she will return to Scotland due to having nothing else other than Hanako left at Yamaku. I am mildly debating this one because it could be seen that Lilly was okay with leaving Hanako (in her route) because Hanako has grown enough; but at the same time she was also willing to leave behind her love Hisao. I still think that being as calm and collected as she is, she would be the one with the least difficulty moving on.

Emi: She would probably still be acting on impulses and not really thinking about the future; while still not letting anyone get close to her - I feel that this is more of a common theme to people, than specifically tailored to her. I can't imagine things going horribly wrong for her, other than that she lost a perfectly good opportunity to finally get close to someone. She at least still has her mother nearby to support her too.

Rin: I believe if she did somehow agree to the exhibit under Nomiya's pressure, she may have "self-destructed" trying to communicate herself to the outside world, and died alone in that studio. But considering that she wasn't wholly interested in joining in the first place (I think all of Hisao's choices push her into it, jerk), she probably would have just wandered around with Emi and... be... herself.
Even though Emi didn't understand her either, they were at least acquaintances on good terms.

Shizune: This was always a little more of a wild card, because I think ultimately it depends on how much longer could Misha afford to go on, as opposed to Shizune herself. Shizune was a very stoic character and didn't change throughout; even when she knew of her issues and that she has been messing with Misha for a few years. I think overall, she would have been left very alone when Misha finally leaves to pursue her own goals, or collapses under mental duress.
"It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure."
-Rykn

[I feel like a giant jerk for completing the game.]
Zet

Post by Zet »

Geroaergaroe wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
They join Kenji on the roof for a manly picnic.
I think Kenji would mistake them all for feminists out to get him before he can save the world, and kill them before the picnic.
Demoneq

Post by Demoneq »

About my earlier post (the spoiler part).
Seems I was possibly wrong - just went through the end of Shizune's path, when heading towards a bad ending. One of the scenes was:
Meeting Lilly when Hisao went to have a lunch by himself, and having a chat with her. So I guess she might have either stayed for Hanako, or not left for Scotland yet.
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

A somewhat interesting distinction is that only on Emi's path does she run herself so hard she hurts herself and gets an infection. Hisao sees her run in the meet on Rin's path as well as her own and neither he nor Rin notice her stride break so apparently Hisao's presence on her practice runs really did make her drive herself harder.

Regardless of Hisao, she still goes for a run in the rain after her victory party and catches a cold, though.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

I think that Rin goes to the art school in Tokyo.