Online Japanese KS reception

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

erisi236

Re: Online Japanese KS reception

Post by erisi236 »

Nekken wrote:
Totaku wrote:This would be the first I've heard of it. Judging from the art style, this "new rendition" appears to be an attempt to argue that KS is a form of cultural appropriation. This new dev team feels that KS, because it is done by people not born into a specific culture with certain storytelling conventions and styles, mocks those styles. So they intend to reverse the roles in an attempt to demonstrate, in some way, how that makes them feel. In MAMA's case, that means adopting an art style that would typically be thought of as Western, or perhaps more to the point, as American.
Yikes, I hope not. Just saying but if I ever walked in the comic store and saw a book with art like that I'd laugh heartly and then put in back on the shelf.

Which kind of makes me wonder what KS would look like if it was drawn by the guy currently drawing Batwoman which is fantastic.
"Iluvevery, single… one of ye… not you." - Lilly during another one of her drunken rampages.
Burial_By_Fire

Post by Burial_By_Fire »

After reading some of the Online comments I'm surprised there wasn't a raid or attack or something on the booth at Comiket.
key

Post by key »

chicunsu wrote:I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY.... Honestly, they say so loads of crap, while how many of them really knows what they are talking about? 1%...... i still think i'm being nice.
Let them talk crap as much as they want, i will still love this game anyway.
And making a japanese version of the game?
What sickneses are they gonna use?
  • Moe
    Tsundere
    Yandere
    Oppai
and things like that? o.o
You have said without getting to know VN of Japan?
There are any number of works like KS.
Jintor

Post by Jintor »

Burial_By_Fire wrote:After reading some of the Online comments I'm surprised there wasn't a raid or attack or something on the booth at Comiket.
online =/= real life i guess

Post by Guest »

key wrote:
chicunsu wrote:I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY.... Honestly, they say so loads of crap, while how many of them really knows what they are talking about? 1%...... i still think i'm being nice.
Let them talk crap as much as they want, i will still love this game anyway.
And making a japanese version of the game?
What sickneses are they gonna use?
  • Moe
    Tsundere
    Yandere
    Oppai
and things like that? o.o
You have said without getting to know VN of Japan?
There are any number of works like KS.
Agreed. There are some excellent Japanese visual novels out there and many don't even involve sex - it's not all twisted hentai shit. Just look at all the people mentioning Clannad, and there isn't a single sex scene in the entire game.

Post by Guest »

Jintor wrote:
Burial_By_Fire wrote:After reading some of the Online comments I'm surprised there wasn't a raid or attack or something on the booth at Comiket.
online =/= real life i guess
They wouldn't have had the bollocks - I don't think they'd have truly hated it enough to risk getting thrown out or arrested.
Free the Bee

Post by Free the Bee »

This is the most needlessly alarmist thing I've ever seen anyone post here.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Guest wrote:Agreed. There are some excellent Japanese visual novels out there and many don't even involve sex - it's not all twisted hentai shit. Just look at all the people mentioning Clannad, and there isn't a single sex scene in the entire game.
Clannad is still -sadly- among a relatively small number of exceptions to the rule. "Clean" versions of VNs previously released as an eroge are becoming a lot more common, but it's still fairly unusual for a game to start clean. Even Clannad has an eroge spinoff.
chicunsu

Post by chicunsu »

I've tried ots of VN, i meant it ironically, although it might sound bad.
And i just thought that the sketch for how they are gonna make KS just looked way off =|

Anyway, yea i know it's many rly good out there. And when i look for VNs, i look mostly at story and characters anyway.
''Cheerful disposition, light skin/hair/eyes, poor motors skills, bad balance, short attention span and trouble with words" So... she has a case of moe.
~About misha's disability
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

There are few VNs that are actually worth reading. There's probably only around thirty or slightly more VNs that I would rate as good, and I've read a lot since... hmm. KS Act 1 was my first VN, now that I think about it. I don't remember the exact year though.

I don't think there's a need to worry about Japanese KS reception. Everyone here who read about KS knows very well that the comments are biased at best (Title), and could be easily debunked by anyone who bothered going through just the prologue. My KS journey has been pretty much more apprehensive than emotional, but I would never forget the scene where a black mess of medical names blotting out the white of the screen. That simple scene alone said a lot of the mood and tone that KS intend to set, has set, and if people can't get it after seeing that, they probably never will.

On an unrelated note, I'd rather that VNs stay 18+ ratings even if they could've entirely avoided it, for selfish reasons. For example, d2b vs Deardrops: Cross The Future. It was just a short VN out just last December that I desperately wanted to read (Whoever read Kira Kira probably will get my obsession), but because of its All Ages rating you can't find a single download link or torrent anywhere. That seem to happen very often. I did try to order online, but for one I don't have the right credit card, and two, even with the right one it pops out some identification error. Sigh.

Point is, there are some VNs that became much harder to get when they're All Ages, unless they're so famous hackers would actually try to crack them.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
kaz

Post by kaz »

played the english version on hanako route.
great story.
most foreign artwork tend to look like marvel but this artwork looked great.
looking forward to lily route.

i just dont like the usage of the katawa word.
its not a cuss word like "FUCK"or""RETARD", its more similar to "HALF HUMAN"hinting "useless"said in a regrettable tone. some people will flinch at hearing this word.
because in old days(more like the dark age), a disable person in the community was considered a "rice leecher" and its existance itself was somehow a disgrace.

maybe friends sometimes say fuck you in a playful manner meaning no offense,i am not sure.
but saying "katawa" as a joke,to a intimate friend,even in private will not raise anger(it is not a useful cuss word)but horror of the usage of the word.

but i do not think foreigners can understand the extent of the word.
and after all, foreigners dont have to care about the correct meaning of japanese words.
Babli

Post by Babli »

kaz wrote:played the english version on hanako route.
great story.
most foreign artwork tend to look like marvel but this artwork looked great.
looking forward to lily route.

i just dont like the usage of the katawa word.
its not a cuss word like "FUCK"or""RETARD", its more similar to "HALF HUMAN"hinting "useless"said in a regrettable tone. some people will flinch at hearing this word.
because in old days(more like the dark age), a disable person in the community was considered a "rice leecher" and its existance itself was somehow a disgrace.

maybe friends sometimes say fuck you in a playful manner meaning no offense,i am not sure.
but saying "katawa" as a joke,to a intimate friend,even in private will not raise anger(it is not a useful cuss word)but horror of the usage of the word.

but i do not think foreigners can understand the extent of the word.
and after all, foreigners dont have to care about the correct meaning of japanese words.
I am from Europe, but I understand perfectly what you just described. And that is why I dont understand why devs decided to stick with this name even when they found out about what it really means.

By the way, what would be appropriate, polite word for "disabled" in japanese?

Post by Guest »

Nekken wrote: Clannad is still -sadly- among a relatively small number of exceptions to the rule. "Clean" versions of VNs previously released as an eroge are becoming a lot more common, but it's still fairly unusual for a game to start clean. Even Clannad has an eroge spinoff.
Ah, touche. Now I think about it, Key also did this with Little Busters.

Post by Guest »

It's nice to get a reaction from an actual Japanese person about this issue.
Freya

Post by Freya »

“To the yanks we’re just cripples ourselves for not understanding English.”
This made me lol...