Ascended Memes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CindehQ

Ascended Memes

Post by CindehQ »

So far I've only played Shizune's path, but I definitely caught a few shoutouts to the fandom that have amused me. TV Tropes refers to it as an "ascended meme". For example, Misha's love of eating definitely revealed itself after Act 1 and of course there's Hisao referring to her as "curvy", and we all know everyone's thoughts on Misha's figure... I also found Hisao referring to Misha's hair as "drills" rather amusing, the narrative definitely makes a point of acknowledging how weird Misha's hair is, although even in Act 1 he says it "stands out".

On a random note: Also, Kenji seems very well-versed in American pop culture, to the point that he uses the word ballin'. I just think that's hilarious.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
Location: Chillin' with Macho Man Randy Savage on his Macho Cloud

Re: Ascended Memes

Post by 68000 »

Everything Kenji says.

Close Curtains
Thwart Snipers.
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

My favorite would have to be the "HNNNG" jokes about Hisao having heart attacks when he finds something attractive from the girls.
Crud Bonemeal

Post by Crud Bonemeal »

Rin's chapter: "I'm hugging you, Hisao." Dammit, Rin, it was too touching for words when it didn't have context.
"Slab Bulkhead!" "Blast Hardcheese!" "Buff Drinklots!" "Bolt van der Huge!" "Punch Rockgroin!" "Thick Runfast!" "Roll Fizzlebeef!" "Big McLargehuge!" "Bob Johnson! Oh, wait, no, no, sorry."
Hamadyne

Post by Hamadyne »

Crud Bonemeal wrote:Rin's chapter: "I'm hugging you, Hisao." Dammit, Rin, it was too touching for words when it didn't have context.
Dammit, now you've turned on the waterworks for me.

The 'Wait...I'm Misha" jokes are funny. Though that's more on the Shimmie side of things.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Hisao's "idiot hair" is brought up at least once. He and Hanako are talking about themselves and Hisao mentions pieces of his hair tend to stand up, but his mom wouldn't let him shave his head.
Palas

Post by Palas »

I was sure this topic would feature chocolate, Hisao, but it seems I was wrong.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
Crud Bonemeal

Post by Crud Bonemeal »

I think the DLC will include it as an add-on for the Drunk Hanako scene.
"Slab Bulkhead!" "Blast Hardcheese!" "Buff Drinklots!" "Bolt van der Huge!" "Punch Rockgroin!" "Thick Runfast!" "Roll Fizzlebeef!" "Big McLargehuge!" "Bob Johnson! Oh, wait, no, no, sorry."
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Palas wrote:I was sure this topic would feature chocolate, Hisao, but it seems I was wrong.
Ugh. Honestly, I'm glad the writers resisted the temptation to have Hisao pass her a candy bar during one of the lunch scenes or something. You know people would have gone nuts.
Evvinartopski

Post by Evvinartopski »

When Jigoro's ranting about the Fashion of the Necktie, I couldn't help but think of this when he started about the sweater.
yipyapper

Post by yipyapper »

OH GOD MAH DRILLS
"OH GAWD MY DRILLS"
...What? Not a real quote? Oh well, it's Yipyapper's quote now.
"Google will rule the world soon. Accept them now before it's too late."
~Yipyapper
ziamatt

Post by ziamatt »

Palas wrote:I was sure this topic would feature chocolate, Hisao, but it seems I was wrong.
That's not even an ascended meme.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

ziamatt wrote:
That's not even an ascended meme.
If they'd somehow included it in the game, it would have been.

Along opposite lines, "Wait, I'm Misha..." is not an ascended meme, because it was already in the game before the memesters got a hold of it.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

When Hisao tells the audience about crushing dramatically a card in Shizune's path, he surely must have channeled our friend, the Card Crusher: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/card-crusher
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Radien

Post by Radien »

I can't really say anything about ascended memes, since by definition they'd have to come from people who were fans of the game before its full release... however, I've noticed at least two aspects of KS that MUST be references to other memes.

1. In the scene where Hisao introduces himself to the class, the camera pans across the classroom. On the left side of the class, you can see a brown-haired boy with a yellow hairband. This is a particularly odd accessory for a dude, and I strongly suspect it was a nod and a wink to Haruhi-kun from the "gender-swapped Haruhi Suzimaya" meme.

2. Misha's hair very strongly resembles that of Kasane Teto, a Vocaloid meme. Pink hair with two large curls that look like drills?... That's a little too specific to be a coincidence. And considering it's a Japanese anime meme, 4channers would be all the more likely to get a laugh out of it.
Paths completed so far (in order): Emi, Hanako, Shizune, Lilly (good endings)

Currently playing: Rin's path