Misha Speculation

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CindehQ

Misha Speculation

Post by CindehQ »

Okay so I haven't finished Shizune's path yet (I am not looking forward to that bad end), but there's this line that Misha mentions on the roof, to paraphrase:

"Even if everyone hated me, it seemed like they would leave me alone."

Misha also stated that while she wasn't enthusiastic about Yamaku at first, it "sounded interesting". Now that sounds like a strange thing to say. If she thought Yamaku was interesting enough to be worth attending, wouldn't she also be enthusiastic about it? The only way that statement would make sense (to me anyways), is if she were forced to transfer from her old school. Well anyways, it makes me wonder if Misha was bullied badly at her old school. Your thoughts?

If we find out more about this later on in the path, feel free to tell me and close this thread.

Also, during the Shizune sex scene, Hisao said he could hear Shizune moan and that someone standing outside the door could probably hear them. I was under the impression that she couldn't make sounds with her voice, or does she have a specific kind of mutism?
Last edited by CindehQ on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
Fronzel

Re: Speculation

Post by Fronzel »

Also, when Hisao asks her if she misses anyone from elementary or middle school, she immediately says "no".

And he says that she looks like she's had a lot of practice holding back tears.

Looks like poor Misha's had a somewhat crummy life.
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Fronzel wrote:Also, when Hisao asks her if she misses anyone from elementary or middle school, she immediately says "no".

I'm kind of suspecting Misha might've been teased for her weight, partly because I was a lot like Misha in high school, acting overly cheerful so people would accept me. I know her sexuality might seem like a more obvious target, but I doubt she would've confessed to Shizune if her sexuality were a source of torment for her.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
scoopnokes

Re: Misha Speculation

Post by scoopnokes »

did anyone notice that Misha has an interest in politics?

Post by Guest »

Also, during the Shizune sex scene, Hisao said he could hear Shizune moan and that someone standing outside the door could probably hear them. I was under the impression that she couldn't make sounds with her voice, or does she have a specific kind of mutism?
I admit I am ignorant; but I knew at least two or three people that were born deaf that could still make noises, either to get someones attention, or just to try it out - I dont think they could even hear what they were doing, but could physically feel it in their vocal cords; If I were to make a guess, I would imagine the inability to turn that noise into speech is just the same way the blind cannot envision color; there is nothing to refrence to.

So ultimately, I dont think Shizune is mute (even though thats what the story claims), becuase they portray her as somebody that cannot hear; whereas a mute can hear, but has no voice.
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Guest wrote:
I admit I am ignorant; but I knew at least two or three people that were born deaf that could still make noises, either to get someones attention, or just to try it out - I dont think they could even hear what they were doing, but could physically feel it in their vocal cords; If I were to make a guess, I would imagine the inability to turn that noise into speech is just the same way the blind cannot envision color; there is nothing to refrence to.

So ultimately, I dont think Shizune is mute (even though thats what the story claims), becuase they portray her as somebody that cannot hear; whereas a mute can hear, but has no voice.
Well she's deaf-mute according to the official site. But at one point Shizune's dad talks about trying to make her normal, obviously he doesn't approve of her signing. The only way I can imagine Shizune being closer to "normal" would be if he tried to teach her to lip read and talk in response. But I can certainly imagine why Shizune wouldn't like it. It makes communicating very difficult and it's not nearly as precise as sign. Especially since she would have no idea how she actually sounds, and the way Shizune laughs shows she's uncomfortable even trying to use her voice.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

scoopnokes wrote:did anyone notice that Misha has an interest in politics?
Dunno about that
I'm thinking more that people like wearing shirts that says something in a foreign language regardless of what it says
like people in Japan wearing English shirts
or People obsessed with Japan wearing a shirt that says something random in Japanese

Misha wearing the Bush Cheney 2004 seemed like a poke on that joke

Post by Guest »

CindehQ wrote:
Fronzel wrote:Also, when Hisao asks her if she misses anyone from elementary or middle school, she immediately says "no".

I'm kind of suspecting Misha might've been teased for her weight, partly because I was a lot like Misha in high school, acting overly cheerful so people would accept me. I know her sexuality might seem like a more obvious target, but I doubt she would've confessed to Shizune if her sexuality were a source of torment for her.
I'm inclined to agree with the weight thing, too. Being overweight (or at least looking overweight) is highly looked down upon in Japan even when you're an adult, and I'm not even going to start on the various Japanese fashion subcultures and what their idea of fat is.

As for her confession, she may have thought that Shizune liked her too and got her hopes up (would have made sense given Misha's huge disappointment that Shizune didn't see her that way, although at least Shizune isn't bothered by Misha's orientation and still wants to be friends afterwards). It's a fairly common misinterpretation, especially so if you've been shunned a lot at school or haven't had many friends.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I think Misha needs someone to give her a hug even more badly than Hanako...

Regarding the shirt, Word of God is that she likes the design and doesn't care about the letters.

Shizune is deaf. It's not explicitly stated in the story, but there are probably no problems with her vocal cords at all.
It's just that it is possible but extremely hard for deaf people to learn to talk, because they cannot hear the noises they're making and many feel uncomfortable about it.
That's why they are often referred to as "deaf-mute", an expression that is not exactly politically correct iirc.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

If she thought Yamaku was interesting enough to be worth attending, wouldn't she also be enthusiastic about it
Well, "worth it" or "interesting" doesn't necessarily imply being excited. After all, it's worth it to get a post-secondary education. It's also boring, long, and arduous.

I'd wager that Shizune isn't mute, because she can actually moan and make noises.

It's important to make the point that being mute, and being a "deaf-mute" are two different things. While Shizune is described as a deaf-mute, this simply means she cannot communicate orally or chooses not to - within historical context, being deaf-mute didn't mean it is impossible for you to speak, just that you choose not to or have no clue how to.
I've discussed before that Shizune probably doesn't speak because she hasn't been trained how to. Teaching language to a deaf person is a very time-consuming thing and I doubt Shizune has gone through the process. In addition, a deaf person speaking can be rather disquieting. People deaf from birth often don't understand tone, pitch and volume, and so they may choose not to speak because it wouldn't be tactful in most situations. It's clear that Shizune herself doesn't understand these concepts herself, like when she snaps her fingers extremely loudly or bangs her pencil on the desk.

off that topic for a second:
Why does everyone seem to say Misha is fat? She doesn't look "fat" to me really. She's thicker than the other girls, it seems, but it doesn't imply that she's necessarily overweight. Even assuming that she's all fat and no muscle, the "healthy weight" scale often varies on tens of pounds.
Free the Bee

Post by Free the Bee »

Yuno wrote:Why does everyone seem to say Misha is fat?.
Wishful thinking... at least on my part. There really aren't enough big girls in media.

And yeah, I also assumed that Shizune is capable of making sound, but doesn't speak. It's the case with many non-speaking deaf people that they make "vocalisations" as they sign. Anyone interested in this should check out the one-off anime "Grrl Power": the deaf character in the show doesn't speak, but nonetheless had a voice actress to provide her vocalisations.
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

Yuno wrote:
If she thought Yamaku was interesting enough to be worth attending, wouldn't she also be enthusiastic about it
Well, "worth it" or "interesting" doesn't necessarily imply being excited. After all, it's worth it to get a post-secondary education. It's also boring, long, and arduous.

I'd wager that Shizune isn't mute, because she can actually moan and make noises.

It's important to make the point that being mute, and being a "deaf-mute" are two different things. While Shizune is described as a deaf-mute, this simply means she cannot communicate orally or chooses not to - within historical context, being deaf-mute didn't mean it is impossible for you to speak, just that you choose not to or have no clue how to.
I've discussed before that Shizune probably doesn't speak because she hasn't been trained how to. Teaching language to a deaf person is a very time-consuming thing and I doubt Shizune has gone through the process. In addition, a deaf person speaking can be rather disquieting. People deaf from birth often don't understand tone, pitch and volume, and so they may choose not to speak because it wouldn't be tactful in most situations. It's clear that Shizune herself doesn't understand these concepts herself, like when she snaps her fingers extremely loudly or bangs her pencil on the desk.

off that topic for a second:
Why does everyone seem to say Misha is fat? She doesn't look "fat" to me really. She's thicker than the other girls, it seems, but it doesn't imply that she's necessarily overweight. Even assuming that she's all fat and no muscle, the "healthy weight" scale often varies on tens of pounds.
Thank you for explaining this to me. I actually assumed she was literally mute, so this makes things a lot more simpler. You have to remember during the Shizune path that she's self conscious about her laughing, it's possible she knows that her laugh (if she were to make it audible) is strange so she covers it and chooses not to make a sound. Secondly, Jigoro did mention that part of the riff between him and his daughter is that growing up he hired special tutors to try and make her "normal" (as he puts it), which I'm gonna assume means he tried to teach her to speak and lip read even though she's clearly not comfortable doing something she doesn't have as much control over (compared to signing). This is also what really pissed me off about him, he COULD learn to sign but has this "it's all her fault" mentality.

As for Misha...

GUUURRRLLL PUH-LEASE. She THICK~ *snap*

But seriously, Misha's only fat when compared to other KS girls, and the most attention that's been paid to it in-game is Hisao calling her curvy. However, Japanese people, and really most Asian people, are pretty harsh when it comes to weight. "If you're not a petite, you might as well be obese" kind of mentality. Personally, the only area where Misha seems big to me is her bust. Especially in that 2004 shirt.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
xiety

Post by xiety »

CindehQ wrote: Also, during the Shizune sex scene, Hisao said he could hear Shizune moan and that someone standing outside the door could probably hear them. I was under the impression that she couldn't make sounds with her voice, or does she have a specific kind of mutism?
ummm... yes they do make sounds but not words its like mumbling of non sense letters but not a specific word

well about the school and it seems it doesn't need to have a disability from my understanding because Hisao's heart disease is not a disability but an Illness
its just so happen that the school provide medical attention 24/7

Post by Guest »

Yuno wrote: Why does everyone seem to say Misha is fat? She doesn't look "fat" to me really. She's thicker than the other girls, it seems, but it doesn't imply that she's necessarily overweight. Even assuming that she's all fat and no muscle, the "healthy weight" scale often varies on tens of pounds.
Technically speaking, weight-wise Misha is and looks healthy, however in Japan women are generally petite with very small waists, etc. and that image is seen as the ideal (and if anything, Japan is just as bad as the Western world is in the whole 'perfect image of beauty' respect, if not worse).

Post by Guest »

Yuno wrote: Why does everyone seem to say Misha is fat? She doesn't look "fat" to me really. She's thicker than the other girls, it seems, but it doesn't imply that she's necessarily overweight. Even assuming that she's all fat and no muscle, the "healthy weight" scale often varies on tens of pounds.
Technically speaking, weight-wise Misha is and looks healthy, however in Japan women are generally petite with very small waists, etc. and that image is seen as the ideal (and if anything, Japan is just as bad as the Western world is in the whole 'perfect image of beauty' respect, if not worse).