Emotional Impact

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Negi

Re: Emotional Impact

Post by Negi »

I don't know how this was on the related video section but:
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
-Carl Sagan
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Nightydreams wrote:How is falling in love with a girl in a visual novel any different from falling in love with a girl in real life?
The fact that with a real person there is, well, a person. A fictional character is, ultimately, a fantasy and nothing more: they have no experiences or thoughts of their own, and no personality or emotions other than what the author says they do, and this last is the real kicker. The English language has far too few words for love, but a healthy relationship is by definition two-sided, and there is no second side here.. Falling in love with a fictional character is essentially falling in love with your own imaginary friend: someone whose love only exists in your own mind, but who will always allow you the delusion of being loved back. She can never contradict you, she can never say no.

That is sad. That is creepy. It's narcissism to a point that borders on the psychotic. A minor crush would be one thing -we all fantasize sometimes- but by everyone's definitions this goes far beyond.
you know only what the author wishes you to see, how is that any different from you knowing only what that girl wants to show you?
Precisely the fact that it isn't what the girl wants to show you: in point of fact, she cannot want to show you anything. There's only what another has decided to show you, plus what you and your own interpretations have decided to be "shown" to you.
Attachment and love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
Not quite regardless. There's a barrier we call reality that it is outright unhealthy to try and surmount. I'm not a fan of quoting memes, but the fact remains: she's a cartoon, not your waifu.
Pata Hikari

Post by Pata Hikari »

Uhhh I'm pretty sure it's an exaggerated joke.