Shizune's path

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

EmptyTree

Re: Shizune's path

Post by EmptyTree »

Are spoilers necessary for thread? Anyone stupid enough to read this before completing Shizune's path deserves what they see.
anyway,
When Shizune told Hiaso that she wanted to become a philanthropist I had a "Oh Shit!" moment. It made me think that it was extactly what her father wanted to do, and did. Minus the giving money away part. I might actually want to read his memoirs, he reminded me of a very rude and hypocritical version of Shizune.

But god, her ending stuck a cord in my heart. It made me sad to know that there is the possibly that they wouldn't see each other very much more. Q_Q

Arrg, I hate to see that fan rage over this. I loved her route. Most of the people that are raging seem to have not liked Shizune in the first place, and just wanted to rage that she wasn't exactly like their favorite girl *no names*

It was probably unnecessary to spoiler all of this. Thank you for your time.
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

EmptyTree wrote:Are spoilers necessary for thread? Anyone stupid enough to read this before completing Shizune's path deserves what they see.
anyway,
When Shizune told Hiaso that she wanted to become a philanthropist I had a "Oh Shit!" moment. It made me think that it was extactly what her father wanted to do, and did. Minus the giving money away part. I might actually want to read his memoirs, he reminded me of a very rude and hypocritical version of Shizune.

But god, her ending stuck a cord in my heart. It made me sad to know that there is the possibly that they wouldn't see each other very much more. Q_Q

Arrg, I hate to see that fan rage over this. I loved her route. Most of the people that are raging seem to have not liked Shizune in the first place, and just wanted to rage that she wasn't exactly like their favorite girl *no names*

It was probably unnecessary to spoiler all of this. Thank you for your time.
Wait a tick, I just thought of something. If you look at it in a certain way, isn't Shizune aspiring to become Scrooge McDuck?

Yeah I don't know where that came from
Krikt

Post by Krikt »

Shizune's route has been my least favourite. It was probably a strain to write one shared by Misha as well, thoguh.
It feels like the characters don't develop as much apart from discovering Misha's resolve to become a teacher taking supplementary classes.

I think the tone of the ending sort of spoiled it for me as well; the feeling that Shizune was content to part ways to meet again at some unspecified date felt like the friendships were undermined a little. What about the girl who had been her translator leaving and possibly never seeing her again?

Why didn't she react to Hisao sharing his feelings with her? He went out of his way just to be able to communicate with her and appeared to be the only other person to communicate with her directly.
Oh well.
Arcassa

Post by Arcassa »

I'm curious, how many Shizune fans here are artists?
Lurch

Post by Lurch »

Well I’ve finally finished Shizune’s route, and have only Rins to go.
Although I’ve been trying to avoid spoilers, I have managed to pick up that Shizune’s route is one of the least liked, so my expectations weren’t that high. It didn’t help that she isn’t my favorite character either – in real life, I tend to stay away from people like that.

That said, while I did think some things could have been done way better, there were other elements which I thought were done fine.

Act 2, and half of Act 3 just felt like filler to me – they have very little, if any impact on the climax and resolution, and the story would have been better off without it.

I was most touched by Misha’s confession. Or should I say first touched? Up to that point, I hadn’t felt anything for any of the characters. The conflict between Shizune and Misha over this felt good, though it could have been expanded a bit. Misha’s characterization felt fleshed out, but Shizune’s more complex character didn’t feel fully explained to me – though it may just be because I have trouble understanding people like that.

The ‘love’ Hisao felt for Shizune felt a bit tacked on. It was almost never mentioned, and didn’t seem to affect any of his actions or thinking. Both sex scenes were similar. It was Hisao’s first time, and half a hour later (when being insulted by her dad), he’s forgotten all about it. Not terribly believable for the situation. It feels a lot like the characters are a lot older than teenagers, and their more friends-with-benefits than anything else. With very low sex drives.

I think the way Hisao was either able to understand Shizune’s signing completely, or not at all felt unnatural as well. I don’t know much about sign language, but with other languages, you’ll start not knowing anything, then you’ll be able to pick up the occasional familiar work in a sentence, and if you’ve been practicing long enough, you’ll be able to get everything except for the uncommon words.

I guess to summarize – I liked the characterization of Misha especially, The way Shizune was characterized (mostly in act 4) showed her to be an interesting character with a lot of potential – which unfortunately wasn’t explored fully.
And I’m somewhat disappointed at the ‘love story’ aspect.

I agree with Andere – both about Emi’s route being ‘an excellent example of this kind of overarching structure’ (I’d say the best of the lot in terms of storyline), and in terms of it’s lack in Shizune’s route – though I’d write Shizunes route differently to the way he suggested.

Hm, I can see a lot of ‘how I would have written it’ fanfiction springing up in the next few months…

I was honestly expecting one of the conflicts to be how Hisao was mis-interpreting what Shizune was saying to Lilly. Something about learning the lesson that by misinterpreting to ‘saving a fight’, he was not only gagging her, but misrepresenting what she was saying. With someone who has trouble communicating already, that would really sting.

Oh, and to Magil – if no one else has answered it, Misha had either dark brown hair or black hair. Shown on Lilly’s route, if I can recall – from a photo of the student council a year previously

+++

Reading HeMeido’s explanation of what happened – Brilliant. I so wish that had been in the story. Of course, Shizune’s method of dealing with people would have to be overlayed on top of her concern.

Having the majority of the story with Hisao trying to discipher Shizunes actions, with a big reveal at the end could have made the story. Shame it turned out the way it did.
chocolatekake

Post by chocolatekake »

Unlike apparently a lot of people, I really enjoyed Shizune’s path. I felt it could’ve been better, but I’m not going to say none of the other paths couldn’t be as well. I also actually liked Misha’s haircut. I thought it was cute, but it also fit the change in her character. I don’t think I could’ve taken her very seriously in the emotional scenes if she had her huge drill hair. Also, the bad ending was so depressing, I’ve had to take a break from playing (GOD DAMN YOU HISAO!!!).

What did shake me, though, was Shizune’s theme “The Student Council.”

When I first played the Act 1 demo, I played through expecting Hanako to be my favorite, but I very quickly changed my tune when I got to know Shizune (even while going after Hanako). Her character theme fit the tone of her character so well. And maybe I’m just being nitpicky, but I had nowhere near the same reaction to her theme in the final release. In fact, I didn’t recognize it until it got most of the way through it. And even still I, for some reason, get it mixed up with “Raindrops and Puddles.”

The thing is, the music was such a huge part of the emotion. “Caged Heart” does a great job of being tense and worrying. “Shadow of the Truth” is soul rending. The other character themes (Kenji’s probably excluded) stayed very true to their roots. When I talk to Lilly, I know, consciously and emotionally, I’m talking to Lilly. But I felt really disconnected with Shizune. And while Shizune’s theme still has that lovely (now guitar) bit, the tone is kind of lost on me. Her old theme defined her perfectly. Decisive and stern, but caring. It’s what made me identify her and identify with her so quickly and wholly and emotionally the first time around. The new one might fit the devs’ vision of her character more appropriately. And it might fit the overall theme of the entire game more appropriately. But it feels way too casual to me.

The fact that I have a hard time connecting emotionally with the new version completely tore me out of the experience and I think made me enjoy it a lot less than I could have.

All that being said, I did still enjoy her path. And I do like the new song in its own way. But to me, it’s just not Shizune. I really wish there was a way to change the music around :(
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Really, I thought the new Student council theme was ok. The only new version I really dislike is Parity.
OdinAUT

Post by OdinAUT »

I honestly think Shizunes to be the best path though i really dont know why...even though she and hisao dont converse with words there still so much emotion in it.
The ending kind of depressed my though because there no epilogue to follow them up a little more...god i hate open endings...i like it when a story is finished and leaves only litte space to think further for myself
Harco

Post by Harco »

First completed Emi's and Hanako's route and now I'm playing Shizune's. I think I am at 2/3 of the story? It misses the drama from Hanako's route and the love from Emi's, but I think that is why I am enjoying this route so much. Especially Act 2 was very... how should I put it... tranquil? Hisao admitted quite quickly he was developing feelings for Shizune, but I found it nice that he wasn't angsting so much over it as in previous routes.

Like I said, I haven't finished her route and I think there's still some nice drama on the way. I can say for sure, though, that one of the major highlights of her route (maybe even of the game) is Hisao slowly learning sign language. The whole process of slowly learning what Shizune is saying until you can fully understand her and talk with her is just awesome.
Arcassa

Post by Arcassa »

Here's an epilogue someone on /a/ posted. Link because it's a pretty big picture

http://i41.tinypic.com/9rubfr.png

Whoever wrote this, you are my hero.

Post by Guest »

Arcassa wrote:Here's an epilogue someone on /a/ posted. Link because it's a pretty big picture

http://i41.tinypic.com/9rubfr.png

Whoever wrote this, you are my hero.
HNNNG that almost made me cry, and I thought I'd shed enough KS-related tears. Hope that anon writes more epilogues for the other girls <3
Handle

Post by Handle »

hey, I just finished Shizune's route. 3rd path I finished. First was Lilys, 2nd was Rin. Just gonna post some thoughts about it.

It was kind of bittersweet. I thought it was gonna be really terrible with the way some people were going on about it. Maybe I set my expectations low enough to enjoy it. There were some stuff I wish was expanded more though.

People complained about Misha a lot, but I thought she turned out to be the more 'mature' of the two. She knew the path she was on was negative the whole time, and it was building up and knew she needed to break it off. Hisao stepping in to take her place and 'properly' support Shizune finally gave her an escape route to distance the negative relationship.

Them both moving on with their lives after graduation is realistic, and since Misha wanted a romantic relationship with Shizune, and Shi didn't swing that way, that's all she had left to do.

Biggest problem I have, as probably with most of the routes is the lack of emphasis on the MC's heart problem. Maybe because I played Lily's first, where it was a huge part. I think its pretty important.

In the beginning, you had a good scene where Misha and Shizune see Hisao's bottles of pills he has to take. And he says he's not ready to tell them about it yet, but he will.

But he never does.
Even during the 2nd h-scene with Shizune, she sees the scar on his chest, and it still isn't bought up. He ends up never telling them about his condition at all.

People seemed to get annoyed that Misha made the route a crowd, but I think it gave it more space since it didn't have to have the same girl on screen 90% of the time. I got tired of Rin's route because it was just her armless self standing there, and that was literally the entire route.
Harco

Post by Harco »

I just finished it too. While I understand that people might not like the ending because it seems like they split up, I don't think they do. The first H-scene (at Shizune's home) didn't leave a lasting impression (even though her expressions were kinda sweet), but the scene in the Student Council (SC) room... wow. Just, wow. I think I've read something about people not thinking Shizune and Hisao being a good couple, maybe because they don't interact with each other the way you'd expect from a couple. While it is true that I would've liked to see them engage in more fluffy scenes with each other, the chemistry between them in the SC room scene was just in-sane. Even more so because while Shizune was pretty nice to look at from the get-go, I didn't expect her to look that good. I mean, the moment she took her bra of...

Holy shit.

What a body.

I am probably sounding like a sad, horny teenager here, but I don't care.

The ending was a little bit weird, with Hisao's sudden "I love you" and neither Misha nor Shizune paying attention to it. I thought about it and I don't think that was Hisao's goal in the first place. It wasn't a grand confession; it was a 'casual' remark aimed at both girls at the same time, reinforcing what each of them already knew.

Haven't seen the bad ending yet, by the way. I don't know if I even want to see it... Well, I guess I want to, I just have to do it tomorrow. Take a bit of emotional distance from it, you know? The scene with Misha on the rooftop -- with her short hair, her steady voice and her lack of "WAHAHAHA⁓!" shouting -- the look on her face and in her eyes... it was heartbreaking. I felt so unbelievably sad during that scene. Still, and I know this sounds weird, but I am sort of grateful that I was allowed to see it, that she trusted Hisao enough to be completely honest with him.

All in all it was a very enjoyable route. Hisao learning sign language, Kenji taking of his glasses, the "Would you be my girlfriend" line at the festival, Shizune's smile, Kenji encouraging Hisao to write Iwanako back, Misha's breakdown, the ending of Act 3, Hisao's talk with Misha at the stairs, the sex scene in the SC room, the three musketeers pose at the end... Just a few things I'm glad to have been witness to.
Xzone

Post by Xzone »

Shizune's path finished. Her ending was my absolute favorite in Act I, so naturally, hers was the first route I chose to play. (And it's going to remain the only one for some time; I just want to savor the experience for a while. :) )

I'm not sure if we can even call it 'Shizune's path'. It's more like the 'Student Council path'. The love story between Hisao and Shizune is pretty straightforward, I've seen people in this thread call it "dull" or "lacking conflict". That might be true. But it doesn't bother me at all, because it feels natural, almost perfect. Like the two of them were meant for each other from the moment they met.

The real drama comes from Misha, and the fact that her relationship with Shizune is deeply flawed. At the start of the story, the Student Council appears to be cheerful, and full of energy. But that's all a facade. Keeping that status quo would lead to a grim future for both members: Misha heartbroken and bitter, pretending to be the happiest person on the planet; and Shizune isolated, never even knowing real friendship.

In the true ending, everything gets fixed. The three members of the Student Council form a true bond, everyone gains a deeper understanding of their own characters (especially Shizune). Misha reverts back to her "true self", and Hisao and Shizune are ready to challenge whatever life has in store for them, together as lovers.

The bad end is obviously just a 'what if'. It's like a wrench thrown into a machine: just one extra scene, one bad decision, and everything comes crumbling down. I'd even go as far as to say that it's only there because of the Misha sex scene, as a form of twisted fan service (I remember frowning throughout the whole thing after finishing the true ending).

All-in-all, I feel very satisfied and inspired by this story. Thank you A22 and 4LS!
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

FeministConspiracy wrote:I was just wondering whether or not the ending I got was the good or the bad one?

Turned Misha down, and most of the plot after act 2 seemed to have very little to do with Shizune and her relationship with Hisao. Never really got the feeling there was all that much love involved. After some pretty good buildup in the first two acts it just seemed very...distant and fell flat. Ended with Misha, Shizune and Hisao having their pictures taken at graduation together.

If this was the good ending, then I'm disappointed. If this was the bad ending, I'd really like to know how to get the good one?
Haven't waded through the nine pages yet, but to be honest, this was my take on it too. The build-up was great, the slight tension at the festival as to who gets the doll, and the way that you slowly move from Misha being in every scene to spending time with Shizune by herself. Even love the twist where Misha isn't interested in you at all, she like Shizune and she's worried you're breaking them apart. Very good and makes the end of Act 1 cinematic all the better.

Then it goes off the rails in Act 3. The week at her house seems to be spent with everyone except Shizune and we don't learn much about her in that time, then we run head-first into the Misha crisis and finally the ending. It just seems that you actually become more distant from Shizune once you start dating. Any time you were heading out with Shizune the game cut the scene and moved to the next day. What?

Part of this could be me coming off the back of the Emi path (I swear, it's like I'm doing them in reverse order of popularity or something) where the relationship is pretty full on and she dominates the screen time, but there was so little interaction between me and Shizune that wasn't related to work or other people that I didn't really feel the connection that I had initially.

The good ending is a little bittersweet too since everything is resolved just in time for everyone to go their separate ways.

There were, however, some awesome Kenjii moments on this path. That scene where he takes off his glasses had me rolling.