Could Katawa Shoujo ever be an anime?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

LordMurdoc

Re: Could Katawa Shoujo ever be an anime?

Post by LordMurdoc »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
LordMurdoc wrote:I mean one of the things that makes Higurashi great is how each new arc is set in a new universe.
Uhm... not really. I don't want to go too deeply into Higurashi here, but if you're interested you'll find plenty of sources that will tell you what really happens in Hinamizawa...

A better example for what you propose is Amagami SS, and it has been mentioned in this thread before.

That was a poor choice of wording on my part. It isn't so much as a new universe as it is a parallel universe. Should have changed the word "new". And yes, I know what goes on in the universe. The important thing that I was trying to get around is that each arc is it's own story. They may be set in the same universe, but they're ultimately each their own story that doesn't require watching the other arcs to enjoy or understand (each arc does give off clues for what's really going on until it's finally explained in the second season, but that's optional and is for those who want to dig in deeper and try to solve the mystery on their own).

But no need to take the topic off course. This is a Katawa Shoujo forum and topic after all. If there's a better example than what I gave, then excellent. I only brought it up as an example because I think going that route would be better. As awful as this may sound, not everyone is comfortable with some disabilities. So I think giving the audience the choice of what they want to experience would be a lot better than bunching it all into a single story and forcing them to watch something that may disturb them. Doing so could end up hurting the anime or at least the message that the series tries to get across to the audience. So a baby steps approach might be for the best. If watching one opens people up enough to watch another, then excellent. If not, then at least they watched what they wanted and opened their minds just a little thanks to what they did watch.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

KW is essentially 5 stories for one protagonist, each with their own different outcomes. There'd be no way to successfully do each story justice because Haiso can only really follow one path if it were an anime.
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

harlequin wrote:KW is essentially 5 stories for one protagonist, each with their own different outcomes. There'd be no way to successfully do each story justice because Haiso can only really follow one path if it were an anime.
again I bring up Amagami SS
they did it successfully. Watch it, it's pretty good.
INFERTakuya

Post by INFERTakuya »

Yuno wrote:Well, not really I say.

In order to be an actual anime, it would have to balance out all the girls. It would probably make Hisao look like a real douche. Either he'd have to not go for any girls, or go for all of them at the same time, which would make him really gross and look like he's taking advantage over all of them. If anything, if there was an anime, it should be before Hisao's involvement, showing all the girls before he arrived.
He could just not go for any of the girls, but he could befriend all of them and solve their problems for them anyway.
Endings Obtained

Emi: Bad End|Second Chance|Good End
Hanako: Bad End|Neutral End|Good End
Lilly: Bad End|Good End
Shizune: -In Progress-
Rin:
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

Apparently, the Japs from 2chan have had their interest piqued... and are (thinking of?) making their own, more-standard H-version of KS.

Unfortunately, I expect that would be considerably more likely to get an OVA or anime adaptation of whatever sort.

I've seen the pre-sketches and some idea outlines and it looks generic and, while technically proficient in the art, shit
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

To be honest I don't really know anything about anime. I just played this game because someone tweeted about it and it turned out being a pretty damn good story.
hardrock

Post by hardrock »

I think it would be interesting if they did a Higurashi When They Cry style few episodes per arc season so you would get to see all the personalities come out but I don't know how they could pull that off sticking with the original story. They could do 4 episodes per group : lilly/ hanako, rin/emi, shizune/misha and they have a finale for the ending.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Limbless wrote:Apparently, the Japs from 2chan have had their interest piqued... and are (thinking of?) making their own, more-standard H-version of KS.
Unfortunately, I expect that would be considerably more likely to get an OVA or anime adaptation of whatever sort.
I've seen the pre-sketches and some idea outlines and it looks generic and, while technically proficient in the art, shit

i will await for their challenge.
i don't see in any ways they can be better than the original story. :?
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
xiety

Post by xiety »

I don't know . . . People criticize especially disabled that making an anime will make them feel more pity ( ̄へ ̄)
That's my opinion
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

There is anime like - Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two
where a girl have short term memory.
hmm. that sounds like some kind of disability.

I think if made properly, it could be good.
provided it is not far-fetch from the original plot/ settings
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

There's no way you could do any of the five storylines justice in only four or five episodes.
Not that you could even with more - there's just too much internal monologue going on that's really important to the story...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

Mirage_GSM wrote:There's no way you could do any of the five storylines justice in only four or five episodes.
Not that you could even with more - there's just too much internal monologue going on that's really important to the story...
I'm just expecting something like Touhou fan-made ova.

No need voice-acting
but good art, good plot, which has all the characters.

but nevertheless, it would take years... :(

- Rykn

sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

It pains me to say it, but if they made an anthology/omnibus adaptation of Katawa Shoujo, I think I'd want one of them to go down the bad ending of a route, just for the sake of variety and good storytelling. (But not Lilly's route! Never Lilly's route. I think my heart would shatter.)
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

No anime company is going to touch this with a 20-foot pole. The issue isn't so much a matter of content (though that doesn't help matters) as of rights: it goes through so many legal gray areas that untangling them would be nightmarish. There's even a (very thin) argument that Disney might have some kind of claim on it, based on the chain of technical copyright violations, and if by some ludicrous chance that ever stood up in court, Disney would bury this thing deeper than Song of the South. Even if it were determined that 4LS is legit, they've disbanded: no one is left to give a license to an animation company anyway.

A fan-produced anime might be more feasible. Rather than untangling the technical copyright violations, fans could just make more of them without the same sorts of risks that a company could face. However, there's a reason that fans are not known for producing anime: it's extremely resource-intensive. Then again, it could be argued, so is game development.
Kaiio

Post by Kaiio »

It took mikeinel 6 months to finish all the animations. 6 months! If fans were to make an anime it would take them like what, 2-3 years per episode?