Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

OfficeLady

Re: Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

Post by OfficeLady »

Well, been at it for an hour, trying to get that one scene/BGM for Act 1 (the one right after Home Field) to no luck. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. It's such a challenge! But thanks for the tips for everything thus far guys. Been mighty helpful! :)
shangz

Post by shangz »

OfficeLady wrote:Well, been at it for an hour, trying to get that one scene/BGM for Act 1 (the one right after Home Field) to no luck. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. It's such a challenge! But thanks for the tips for everything thus far guys. Been mighty helpful! :)
Haha that helps me take things in perspective. For this you have to be going forward with Shizune's route Don't side with Lily when she and Shizune are quarrelling this will make you good friends with them. When running with Emi, push yourself and you'll end up in hospital. After that Misha will talk to you. Ditch Emi for Shizune and Misha! Hope that helps :)
Flankster

Post by Flankster »

Oh my god. So I played this game about a year and a half ago when there was just the first act out. I loved it. I had never played a visual novel before, and honestly I just downloaded it because the girls on the front looked so cute. I was disappointed when I found out that it was just Act 1 of the game and there was no news about when the rest of the game would be out. About two days ago I downloaded the full version, and I have just completed my first path. I wanted to go on with the Rin path, because of her character (at least what I knew of it from the first Act that I downloaded a while back). I have just finished all of the alternate endings that belong to the Rin path, and let me tell you, they are all so heart touching. Who ever was responsible for writing out her story did an amazing job of it. Just beautiful. Not only the text, but also the music that came into play (late Act 3 and all of Act 4) really hit hard for me too. Hope that the other story lines for the other characters can live up to what happened in the Rin path. Well done everyone, you have all of my thanks for bringing this wonderful piece of work to life. 5 years, worth the effort.
Feuver

Post by Feuver »

OfficeLady wrote:Well, been at it for an hour, trying to get that one scene/BGM for Act 1 (the one right after Home Field) to no luck. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. It's such a challenge! But thanks for the tips for everything thus far guys. Been mighty helpful! :)
You can also check my flowchart if you want to get an easy way to get it. It's Slow recovery.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hey guys, I was wondering if people here had made art studies ? And I was wondering if the writer (I think it's Aura ?) made art studies or knew people who did ?

I personally made art studies in a Beaux Arts school (public art school in France) for 4 years and I was very, very impressed by the accuracy about the relationship between people in art and even the relationship people have with their own art. For what it's worth, I was motivated to write a bit about it because I think it can "clear" a bit interrogations people can have about Rin, the art, and the relation between Hisao and Rin. So far, I found 4 things I personnally lived in Art school during Rin story.

1. The first one is : it's very, very hard to be constant in art production, and paradoxically it's even harder to be constant when you are good about yourself. You could think it's the contrary that should be normal, but I personally lived a period in my art school when the fact I was "sad" was a very powerful artistic engine. You are so disconnected about everything that you are the head in the grindstone, you do not permit yourself to doubt about your art, you do not doubt at all in fact because you only have your art to express your feelings, especially if you do not have someone to talk to (it was not my case but it was not enough). Logically, it creates expectations from your teachers, who can see you are in a strange mood mais creative also, and when you get out of this relationship you have with your way of creating art, you are not as passionate as before, or even if you are, you doubt a lot more, so you are less constant, direct, creative. Managing to create meaning again, work without asking you questions, is like alienating yourself once again, something I tried for a time but it didn't worked. In the end, you have to change a lot your way of seeing things and learn to work without being forced, because you want it, or because you have a kind of ideal that pushes you to do it. I think you can understand it's related to the "I have to destroy myself" part of Rin's story.

2. This state of mind makes you ask a question that is often in the game : is art above everything ? And in this case, is art above your own well-being and the well-being of people around you ? If art is a way of expression or a job, it does not mean it's a passion for you, so does it have to be above your hobbies ? It's this point that makes students take off becoming an artist. In France only 3% of art students that go out with their diploma have an artist status, status that you gain by subscribing yourself to the working in art chamber thing. So 97% of students does not subscribes as an artist, because they are not passionate enough by their art to put it above everything else (life, studies, relationships, etc), and if the example of the status declaration is in fact minor (many artists are what we call invisible artists), it gives you a large picture of the choice you have to make. If I really wanted to continue my artistic work I should have live in a less confortable way, constantly in doubt because you can't create without doubting of what you are doing, and it's a very hard thing to live with in everyday life because you have to make the effort to work for food and bed only to permit yourself to constantly doubt so you can create right after. It's a very, very heavy chain to wear. For some people, doubt is a drug and they live very well with it, for many others, like me, living in doubt is only possible when you are not distracted or worried by everything else, like worrying about how you will make a living for the month. In short, is you passion, your art, has such a significance for you that you must accept to suffer to be able to create it ? For me, the answer was no, and I did not create anything art related since I came out of school 3 years ago. In Katawa Shoujo, Rin often talk about the fact she has to create art no matter what. I don't think Rin is in constant despair about everything but the fact she can't be understood and has only paintings to try to achieve this goal means she won't stop painting, and that Hisao will not be able to make her stop. She also says that Hisao Kindness is a scarry thing, because if she accepts it, she will break the creative engine she has, and if Hisao becomes more important than art, she will abandon art and lose the only way to make herself understandable.

3. One of the things that really troubled me in the game is the art teacher position. In the game he says he stopped creating because he was not passionate enough, it rejoins what I said earlier about personnal motivation and living in doubt. Let me tell you something : a lot, A LOT of teachers in art, are postponing (I hope it's the right word) their failed carreer on their students, and tries to guide you to what they would have done with your art themselves instead of guiding you where you want to go yourself. I'm not totally idiot, I know that between 18 and 23 years old, I did not have the appetite and ambition I have today, that I was less open minded, and that listenning someone saying "no this is shit, do it this way instead" was hard to hear so much I probably sent to the bin many good ideas people suggested to me. But the teachers in the art environnement are very special, and rarely composed of real artists, the real people that made big sacrifices to help the mere idea of art to move on. These teachers did not make this sacrifice, but can't bear that their students do not want to make it themselves. Their legitimacy can easily be broken, and I was fired from school regarding I had, or not, my diploma because I did not approve their way of thinking. They did not support my way of working and my work too, and rarely helped me because of that. But the day I passed my exam (it was only 30 minutes in oral with all my work in a single room, you can understand you have to be clear and understandable) and explained my way of creating, my state of mind, the jury (composed of real artists) understood why I went this way and the fact I was not ready to suffer for my art. The relationship between Rin and the art teacher is the same. The writer has the common sense of not trying to go in explaining Rin art but transposed this particuliar relationship by using the exposition, a very on the ground and real thing. You understand at the end Rin, in fact, did not want that but made art as her teacher wanted her to do it, not her own way, and I was very admirative the writer of Rin's story took this risk and managed to go through it.

4. To finish with this too long post and talk with a final thing I also lived in life and ingame... It's about my relationship to people that are so focused on their art they become disconnected from the real world. This kind of people are fascinating because they are the perfect inspired person, the attractive personnality you want to be close. You do not, when in this mood, understand it's caused most of the time by a big despair I already talked about earlier. These people are not what you think they are, you are crating an ideal of them. They will never be like you imagine they are, the kind of perfect inspired person, and will never become it and even less for you. You have to accept that, between you and this person, there is art. And the only way your relation comes to a common understanding or passion is by abandonning art, a thing these people cannot do at all. So your relationship will never be as stable or totally happy even if you want it, you do are not on the same wave. That's the final thing you learn in Rin's storyline : even if Rin and Hisao loves each other, Rin cannot, for her own sake, get rid of art. Rin needs this form of chaotic relationship because being totally inapt to talk correctly, she only has art to express herself and becoming happy will not help her talk more easily than before and will break her art engine. I have been in this kind of relationship with someone and I stopped, because It was like living a permanent rollercoaster. I think many people wanted more about Hisao and Rin (myself included) but it won't work this way, it's going to continue like before, except now they know why it's hard to maintain their relationship.

Well I think it's a waaay too long post, sorry about that. With this post I just wanted to congratulate and give a shot of someone that lived this same situations. I really wonder if Aura lived it too, and if it's the case, I think we can congratulate him as he was able to make understandable a very special world that is almost always discribed in a very stereotype way. You have all my respect sir.
askaray

Post by askaray »

I can't really add to anything that's been said already.
This path was amazing.
Thank you, writers.

Though, I've been trying to get 100% in the library, and I'm just missing the scene between "A Wider Field of Vision" and "Interstitial". I have no idea how to get it or what it may be...any help?
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

I'm really loving how the "Marlboro-moment" was realized in both planning and direction. Such an artistic scene, fitting considering how the path girl here is an artist herself. Rin's path has really managed to surprise me. Everything up to this point was suggesting that she's the comedy relief character of this VN, yet, now that I know better, Rin's character is actually just as tragic as Hanako is. Both are very seriously broken in their own ways.
hobblinharry

Post by hobblinharry »

I'm missing the scene between "Things you can't give up" and "Rose-tinted glasses." Does anyone know how to enable that scene?

Post by Guest »

I did Rin's route first, and I was not prepared. I could have commented a couple days earlier, but the time has allowed me to recover; I would not have been able to talk like this right after I finished the route. When I finished, I was nauseous, tired, and non-communicating, the last part causing me to feel a bit like Rin. One of Aura's answers in the Q&A thread said he liked people's strong reactions to reading KS, so I was prompted to post my reaction.

Post by Guest »

All I know is that she came here and...I think there was a towel at some point, too.
I'll start with this, because it's pretty lighthearted, and I thought it was hilarious. Onto an actual point!

For some background, The Rin path was the only one I completed. I had a weird sort of break down at the scene where Hisao walks in on Rin half naked and having a melt down. It was the weirdest thing I had felt in a long while. Boy, did that whole scene just feel horribly wrong. I guess that means it was written really well? I'm bad at rating things, but the fact that it elicited the reaction it did was startling. Some sort of weird cross between shock and sadness, and the more I thought about it the worse I felt.

By contrast, the two of them in Hisao's room was sweet. Reading that was probably on the exact opposite side of the emotional scale than I described before.

I'm really curious how people felt about either scene, if anyone feels like sharing that.

I get the feeling I should play through the route again for understanding, but probably should take a break. Should probably space out the emotional drains.
oedocowboy

Post by oedocowboy »

Guest wrote:
I get the feeling I should play through the route again for understanding, but probably should take a break. Should probably space out the emotional drains.
This. Do this. Your psyche will thank you for it.

Anyways, I just completed Rin's good ending last night and well, I can't say I've ever been so emotionally invested in a story. As someone who 1.) tends to internalize and downplay my emotions, 2.) is an artist, and 3.) is in a serious relationship with an artist, this story struck a very specific and real chord with me.

As I said, I feel I tend to mute my emotions a bit. I'm quick to share a laugh, but I've never been one to cry. It takes a special kind of story arc to illicit that response from me. With Rin's story, especially toward the end, I fucking bawled. Like a 6'3" baby with a beard.

Hell, I'm still tearing up a bit just thinking about it.

That said, I need to take a break from this game. I finished Emi and Hanako, then went into Rin. My mind needs time to process and rest.

I feel like I've somehow gained something from playing this game. Learned something. Coming here and posting honestly feels more like being part of a support group than an internet forum.
megamanrulesall

Post by megamanrulesall »

Guest wrote: I'm really curious how people felt about either scene, if anyone feels like sharing that.
The scene of her having her meltdown hit me hard. Almost to where I wish I could take the Place of Hisao and be like "Rin, this isn't healthy to be the way you currently are. Feel free to be upset or whatever with me later, but I think for your best interest, I am going to take you away from this. This isn't making you to be the Rin that you truely are. I would simply hope that some point later, that after you feel better or recover or whatever word you wish to use, that you realize I did it because I don't want to see you like this and feel like my chest feels weird, like maybe someone sitting on it and not getting up. (I am not able to put my emotions into labels and many times feel like I barely feel, kinda like almost a ghost or robot floating through life. Part of me sometimes things it could be considered as bad, but with me having lived it so long it is my "normal".) I do not know if that is the same feeling you have for me, but right now, I want you to get better."

Then, I would probably help her get dressed and maybe take her to the Nurse's office & explain the situation as best I could. Considering the whole 24 hour thing, I doubt the nurse would be upset.

I would probably have a talk with the art teacher, telling him what transpired, reminding him of him telling the story of their friend and how RIn looked to be at that state or pretty much tettering over to that side. And that perhaps it best to not force her to paint because you want her to, but allow her to paint because SHE wants to, no strings or whatever attached. I would hope that the art teacher being what most would call a "Adult", would realize the close call and no be upset and junk. Though, knowing the way he reacted after RIn leaves, I honestly don't know. It is possible that he would be "Bitchy" to me and reflect the emotions I gave unto him, back unto me. Granted, people on here who have read my story have said that they think I am somewhat like Rin. Or that I have inspired them with my story.

I don't know. All I know is that this game brought back all sorts of memories I thought to be buried and dealt with and etc. But, it feels good telling them in a setting as this. After all, considering the nature of this game, I tend to think or hope it to be one open to those who do have what society labels as "Disabilities" even if I personally don't think of myself as being disabled, but merely seeing the world in a perspective that is differing from the norm. Yes, when younger I admit things were more "disabling" but they aren't as much now.

Anywho, I think I am starting to ramble a bit which happens easily and people saying I type way too much. So, sorry in advance. ^_^; But yeah.
oedocowboy wrote: As someone who
1.) tends to internalize and downplay my emotions,
2.) is an artist, and
3.) is in a serious relationship with an artist,
this story struck a very specific and real chord with me.

As I said, I feel I tend to mute my emotions a bit. I'm quick to share a laugh, but I've never been one to cry. It takes a special kind of story arc to illicit that response from me. With Rin's story, especially toward the end, I fucking bawled. Like a 6'3" baby with a beard.
As you probably gathered from all that I said up above, I doubt I need to say that I am pretty similar with you in the feelings department. I have attempted art myself, but my mind seems incapable of translating the "data" that occurs within what some may call a "Mind's eye" or imagination, into a format which can be shared with the world.

I am also one quick to share a laugh, but I also do my best to try and make others laugh as I don't wish others to feel things that which I had to growing up which were feelings that were saddness and negative related. It is odd how things in what people in this world label as "Fiction/Fantasy" have a more profound effect on me then things in the "reality" in front of me. But then, maybe it will make sense if you hear my theory ir idea on the very subject of reality and those who "create".

For me, I tend to have the utmost belief that those who "create", no matter the thing, have connections to realms/universes that are not connected to our own. Things like parralel universes or alternate dimensions to me are valid. I tend to think that those who "create" aren't pulling something out of nothing, but rather, they have some form of connection to these alternate realms of existance and also posses certain skills in which to be able to translate the data so it can be recorded into a medium that can be recognized and shared in our reality. Granted, I also thing the reason why people who create are overly critical of their stuff is because of the fact that there can be no 100% Perfect translation as though the sheer fact it came through at all, it had to go through a form of distortion to allow itself to be made into terms that coincide with our reality, even though it may be different. I tend to think of that being the reason why artists are usually just "content" but always think their creations may be lacking or are not perfect.

Of course, I could go on a lot longer about my idea of how perfect seems like a sheer impossibility, but I suspect I have said a lot for you all to take in already. Sorry about that, if you think it too long & I don't hold it against you if you don't read it all, and if you did read it all, then cool for making it through I guess? XD

Anywho, take care everyone.
Sperance

Post by Sperance »

You know... I replayed Rin's path yesterday with my gf. After pulling my hair in frustration (again) due to Hisao's words, she said something that gave me pause: that, even if Hisao probably screwed up telling Rin to do the exihibition, it was also probably the only way he could have gotten really close to her. After I thought about it a little, I have to agree with her. After all, if Hisao hadn't pushed her towards her own destruction (in a way), in his mind she would have forever been a wacky, silly girl, not someone with real problems. He would have never realized just how lonely she really felt nor would have finally come to understand her, even if it's only a bit. In a way, I think that he not screwing up would have been an even bigger screw up, if that makes sense...

What do you think?
megamanrulesall

Post by megamanrulesall »

Sperance wrote:You know... I replayed Rin's path yesterday with my gf. After pulling my hair in frustration (again) due to Hisao's words, she said something that gave me pause: that, even if Hisao probably screwed up telling Rin to do the exihibition, it was also probably the only way he could have gotten really close to her. After I thought about it a little, I have to agree with her. After all, if Hisao hadn't pushed her towards her own destruction (in a way), in his mind she would have forever been a wacky, silly girl, not someone with real problems. He would have never realized just how lonely she really felt nor would have finally come to understand her, even if it's only a bit. In a way, I think that he not screwing up would have been an even bigger screw up, if that makes sense...

What do you think?
What your girlfriend said, when I think about it, I think it does make sense as well. You feel bad for doing something that was so destructive and want to help her, but if that didn't happen and that whole event of the "shattered self" never happened, it is possible things could have gone way different. And maybe less aspects of understanding or something.

I find it interesting, thinking about like myself, what if say, This event didn't happened, or what if this was different, how different would I have been? Kinda thing. I don't think of it in a negative, but more a type of curiosity but glad things turned out the way they did. It is almost as though ones life could be seen as a real life visual novel. We go about our business, making choices which can have positive or negative things happen. All the more down the line having a nearly infinite poetential for paths to take, so in turn, things that happened one way, or even thoughts of say what would happen if this beggining part (Taking about my beginning so to speak) had been different, how would that have effected things, even if everything else were exactly the same?

Instead of beating around the bush as some of you may wish to ask. I am referring to the aspect of my life about being born. I was born premature by 1.5-2 months. I would have had a twin, but it died at birth or something and I nearly did as well. Sometimes I wonder. What if that twin had survived along side me. What if the twin was male or female. What types of possible changes in my life would or could have come simply by the fact I had a twin sibling, even if everything else choice wise was identicle.

Sometimes my brain can be so analytical and like, overly curious it makes me not able to sleep, thinking or attempting to contemplate or imagine the nearly limitless amount of potential outcomes. ^_^;

But yes, I think your girlfriend is right. Glad you have someone special like that in your life. (b^_^)b
KL

Post by KL »

"What's the word for..."

Well it sure as hell isn't "Rin's Route", that's for fucking sure. Image