What's up with all the hate?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

X-SAM

What's up with all the hate?

Post by X-SAM »

I decided to go on Gelbooru today to see if any fan art had been uploaded, and, amongst the spoilerific cgs, it seemed that EVERY pic related to Katawa Shoujo had been downvoted severely, some as low as a -22 score, maybe even higher. Not only that, but comments praising the game had been marked as spam and comments hating the game had been marked up as positives and helpful comments. All the negative comments about the girls hurt as well... people calling Hanako a "Crisp Freak" really struck me hard. :(

What in the world is going on. To be honest, this... kind of hurts my feelings. I love KS, and seeing people attack it like this is heartbreaking. :(
the_phenom

Re: What's up with all the hate?

Post by the_phenom »

X-SAM wrote:I decided to go on Gelbooru today to see if any fan art had been uploaded, and, amongst the spoilerific cgs, it seemed that EVERY pic related to Katawa Shoujo had been downvoted severely, some as low as a -22 score, maybe even higher. Not only that, but comments praising the game had been marked as spam and comments hating the game had been marked up as positives and helpful comments. All the negative comments about the girls hurt as well... people calling Hanako a "Crisp Freak" really struck me hard. :(

What in the world is going on. To be honest, this... kind of hurts my feelings. I love KS, and seeing people attack it like this is heartbreaking. :(
Don't go on Gelbooru too often. Is there a strong Japanese membership there?

Apparently, the Japanese don't like the game. I think that their culture is probably more opposed to the idea of dating disabled girls than ours is.

Also, there is a contingent of people who don't like it because they either think that it's inferior due to being created by a western development team or don't like the fact that it has garnered such a large audience. I think they're afraid that it will attract a lot of new, ignorant people to VN's.
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

X-SAM wrote:I decided to go on Gelbooru today to see if any fan art had been uploaded, and, amongst the spoilerific cgs, it seemed that EVERY pic related to Katawa Shoujo had been downvoted severely, some as low as a -22 score, maybe even higher. Not only that, but comments praising the game had been marked as spam and comments hating the game had been marked up as positives and helpful comments. All the negative comments about the girls hurt as well... people calling Hanako a "Crisp Freak" really struck me hard. :(

People are offended.

Do not care about such things. Maybe some people will have their own, personal reasons for why they don't like the game. Others are just superficial and shallow. There are most likely as many positive reactions as there are negatives ones but people in general tend to to concentrate more on the negative aspects, which can be sometimes a shame.
"[...] it's just a ride."

Post by Guest »

yuastnav wrote:

People are offended.

Do not care about such things. Maybe some people will have their own, personal reasons for why they don't like the game. Others are just superficial and shallow. There are most likely as many positive reactions as there are negatives ones but people in general tend to to concentrate more on the negative aspects, which can be sometimes a shame.
Pretty sure all the reasons are 'superficial and shallow' since the majority of comments are "Leave Japanese things to the Japanese stupid Americans!" and such.
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

the_phenom wrote:
X-SAM wrote:Apparently, the Japanese don't like the game. I think that their culture is probably more opposed to the idea of dating disabled girls than ours is.
Which is strange coming from a culture with no qualms showing underage schoolgirls and children being raped by men, women, tentacle monsters, and demons. But I guess as long as the underage schoolgirls and children aren't disabled in any way then it's okay. :roll:
Rivan

Post by Rivan »

I wouldn't worry so much about it. Only people who played the game or at least have a relative knowledge about it while being unbiased have the right to criticize or anything. Those people are both obviously biased and obviously not many of them ever played the actual game.

It's like we know the *true* Emi, Hanako, Lilly, Rin and Shizune and they just live with their misguided interpretations.
It's like how I learned not to care when people say Lilly is a Mary-Sue or a Purity Sue because I seem to know better after completing her route.

Haters gonna hate, but here amongst us, there are those who liked the game, those upon whom the game had a profound effect on... Heck, there are even those who claim they love their favorite girl, so what's the point of caring whether some pseudo-Asian and Asian freaks and God-Knows-What spit at something they know nothing of at a website full of crazy sh*t? (I've been at Gelbooru and trust me, it's full of it).

Just because they're close-minded about their views doesn't mean we have to be open-minded about their idiocy to feel better than them.
Progress : Lilly - finished (Good ending), Hanako - finished (good ending), Rin - finished (Good ending), Shizune - finished (Bad ending), Emi - Finished (good ending)

Lilly=Rin > Hanako > Emi=Misha > Shizune
scoopnokes

Post by scoopnokes »

to those i would say to them, "Are you a rascist?"

logically they would say no, well rebuttal, well why aren't you? You obviously hate a game based on disabled girls. If in real life if you were to meet someone disabled would you find them weird as well or an infection of the world? No? Well the the fact that something fiction based on something that can and does happen in real life makes you squirm and feel disgusted obviously shows that you are disgusted at that shared trait between fictional game and real life occurrence. So again the the question comes, are you a racist? obviously denial comes again so then the next question is, why would you hate sometime that can not be helped or prevent. By stating that Katawa Shoujo is disgusting cause the main character likes someone with a flaw. A flaw that the person could not help. Now take a situation in real life, if you see a couple, and one of them is missing a limb, or better yet to make it simpler to the close-minded. See a couple in real life and one of them is deaf/blind/some abnormality that isn't too noticeable. From your reaction to a fictional game which you have chosen to take seriously you would obviously react the same with a realistic occurrence. Obviously you would feel and show that you aren't comfortable about a couple where either both are of a different opinion than yourself, have a different relationship from what you view as norm, or that one/both of them have a trait that could not be helped since they were born that way. So by definition of racism: hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. You good sir/madam are a racist.

troll troll troll troll

Post by Guest »

I find it ironically hilarious that people who enjoy VN's and games like "Rape! Rape! Rape!" and "Pure Maiden Assault: Violent Semen Inferno" are offended by Katawa Shoujo.

:roll:
the_phenom

Post by the_phenom »

Otakumon wrote:
the_phenom wrote:
X-SAM wrote:Apparently, the Japanese don't like the game. I think that their culture is probably more opposed to the idea of dating disabled girls than ours is.
Which is strange coming from a culture with no qualms showing underage schoolgirls and children being raped by men, women, tentacle monsters, and demons. But I guess as long as the underage schoolgirls and children aren't disabled in any way then it's okay. :roll:
They're a weird bunch, arent they. I still find it quite funny that just about anything goes in hentai, as long as the penis and vagina is censored.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

Gelbooru is a great image board with a huge collection, just like the Channel of Sankaku Complex. But for your own mental hygiene, I would recommend you to stick with looking at the nice pictures and refrain from reading any kind of comment or article that you find on these sites.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Lndbcn

Post by Lndbcn »

It's great that you like something this much, but getting depressed/angry because some people dislike an entertainment product you enjoy is a bit over the top IMO.
Guest wrote:Pretty sure all the reasons are 'superficial and shallow' since the majority of comments are "Leave Japanese things to the Japanese stupid Americans!" and such.
A reaction made all the more hilarious by the fact that a decent portion of Japanese are obsessed with aspects of Western culture. People just need to accept that someone out there finds their culture exotic and interesting, possibly to the degree of obsession, and take it as a compliment. I will admit though, I find it weird when someone is so enamored of my culture that they want it to replace their own, which is something the Japanese have to deal with more than most.
Ukotaku

Post by Ukotaku »

I read about a few hatred stories on certain sites, almost 80% of the Japs who critiscise the game are just ignorant. They also hate the fact that a VN which was not made in Japan is gaining more popular than most of the VNs made in Japan.

on the plus side there are 3 positive comments. Someone is amazed that the project was completed, someone liked the concept and said disabled people deserve love too and someone is a bit upset that it will never be released in Japanese lol.
Kyou_kun

Post by Kyou_kun »

Ukotaku wrote:I read about a few hatred stories on certain sites, almost 80% of the Japs who critiscise the game are just ignorant. They also hate the fact that a VN which was not made in Japan is gaining more popular than most of the VNs made in Japan.

on the plus side there are 3 positive comments. Someone is amazed that the project was completed, someone liked the concept and said disabled people deserve love too and someone is a bit upset that it will never be released in Japanese lol.
Isn't there a Japanese translation going on right now?
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

the_phenom wrote:Apparently, the Japanese don't like the game.
Does this claim come from Sankaku Complex? I know they had an article on that and I'd recommend not to take it seriously. The blog author of SanCom likes these kind of shitstorms and half of the articles on his site are intended to stir up hatred against random nationalities. He knows that such articles always manage to get a reaction from the audience and makes them stick together. He'll just go "Look what the stupid Japanese/Koreans/Chinese/Americans/... are doing now" and the readers will join in and start ranting in the comment section.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Kyou_kun

Post by Kyou_kun »

Most people should already know that Sankaku just loves to stir up hatred.
Only reason for going there is for the chan imo.