Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

blazinator

Re: Ask!

Post by blazinator »

Yo-yo wrote:
Aura wrote: It wasn't a tempting thought at all. The longer we went on, the bigger the stakes grew, and the determination to finish this grew more solid. While in the hardest times I'm sure everyone has thought about giving up, we knew for a long time already that this game is going to be finished.
But there were members who quit, right? I don't know the details, but I thought I remember hearing about developers being changed around a lot due to people leaving. Or was that way back before Act 1, and the team has been relatively stable since then?
The person who originally wrote Shizune left.

Aura edit: This is why I don't want people other than myself or other devs answering questions in this thread. Blatant misinformation. A22 is one of the oldest members of 4LS and has been the Shizune writer throughout the whole project. This is your only warning, next time you break a rule will net you a picture of my boot in your ass.
Deltamon

Post by Deltamon »

How's Hanako's and Hisao's life and what happened for them after the part where it ended?

Is Hanako being able to be more open towards others like she becomes towards the end of Lilly's path?

And how is their sex life afterwards?
Hanako = Shizune = Rin = Lilly = Emi
I just don't like categorizing people. Even if Hanako will always be the dearest for me, I still prefer if they all get equal share of love.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

BcDed wrote:I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere but I wanted to know if any of the people who worked on this were starting any other projects already and I was wondering if there's a way to follow the people who worked on this? I'd especially like to follow you aura I found your writing to be amazing and you are officially my favorite living author. The Rin path was emotionally gripping so I'd like to keep up with your future works.
We don't have any solid plans for the future, and many of us feel the exhaustion of 5 years on our backs. However, if something happens I'm pretty sure we abuse the KS platforms to tell people about it. On a personal level, some of us have deviantart accounts, twitter accounts or blogs that you can follow, I haven't updated mine in a couple of months though.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Yo-yo wrote:
Aura wrote: It wasn't a tempting thought at all. The longer we went on, the bigger the stakes grew, and the determination to finish this grew more solid. While in the hardest times I'm sure everyone has thought about giving up, we knew for a long time already that this game is going to be finished.
But there were members who quit, right? I don't know the details, but I thought I remember hearing about developers being changed around a lot due to people leaving. Or was that way back before Act 1, and the team has been relatively stable since then?
Pretty much correct. Most of the staff changes happened before 2009.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
blazinator

Post by blazinator »

Aura, may I ask which route you wrote and, if possible, who wrote the other routes?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Poly wrote:This is a question regarding Hanako's Path...

After finishing Emi's and Lily's path I felt that Hanako's was.. lacking. Was it because of time constraints, lack of interest in her, or just stuff that had to be cut out? I feel like there is more to the story than we are getting or that we were given. Don't give me wrong I still love the character and out of all the girls so far I found her to be the most relatable with isolation and loneliness (Kenji doesn't count.) I just didn't get that big sense of "Completion" and the "ending" I got with the others..

I found the ending for hers.. as I sad before.. lacking? It was sweet but it feels like there should have been more than we were given.

Of course I'm probably thinking to much into this.

So basically what I am saying is... are you satisfied with Hanako's ending or do you think there is something missing?
Crud and suriko should probably answer this, but generally the answer to this kind of question is: Everything could always be done better, but we are happy with how the game turned out.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

blazinator wrote:Aura, may I ask which route you wrote and, if possible, who wrote the other routes?
Rin path: Aura
Shizune path: A22
Hanako path: cpl_crud
Emi path: Hivemind
Lilly path: Suriko
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

After finishing Emi's and Lily's path I felt that Hanako's was.. lacking. Was it because of time constraints, lack of interest in her, or just stuff that had to be cut out? I feel like there is more to the story than we are getting or that we were given. Don't give me wrong I still love the character and out of all the girls so far I found her to be the most relatable with isolation and loneliness (Kenji doesn't count.) I just didn't get that big sense of "Completion" and the "ending" I got with the others..

I found the ending for hers.. as I sad before.. lacking? It was sweet but it feels like there should have been more than we were given.

So basically what I am saying is... are you satisfied with Hanako's ending or do you think there is something missing?
Hanako's path ended as intended. The climax of the path was the park scene, so the story ended on a high note rather than being drawn out.

It is a somewhat "short" ending, but brevity is sometimes a good thing. Whether it worked or not is up to the individual reading, though.
njaanon

Post by njaanon »

Just the right person, I would like to ask whether you intended Rin to have (serious) psychological issues. Many other people find the writing for Rin's route to be inspiring, amazing, and among such. However, the way she speaks, thinks and acts only seem to underlie some deep problems. You could say she has a creative free mind, unbounded by the constraints of language, and only portrayable through abstract art; Or you could say she has dissociation from reality, inability to form coherent thoughts and major mood instability. I also wrote about this in my other post, but this issue made me really really uncomfortable.

Loved the game though, Emi's route encouraged me to start exercising again. Thanks for making the game.
Poly

Post by Poly »

Suriko wrote:

Hanako's path ended as intended. The climax of the path was the park scene, so the story ended on a high note rather than being drawn out.

It is a somewhat "short" ending, but brevity is sometimes a good thing. Whether it worked or not is up to the individual reading, though.

I agree with ending on a high note but then I played Lily's path and saw that Hanako seemed to be better off without the whole relationship thing. I'm not saying it was bad but holding it up against the other endings. I just feel it was lacking.

Lastly. I just saw the bad ending route and uh.. that kinda frightened me.

Small Edit: This is regarding the animations at the start of every girl's path. Has the idea of making an "ending" animation come into mind?

Hisao and Lily holding each other and walkthrough the fields..
Hisao and Hanoko in the city together as a couple (Would help the ending IMO)
Hisao and Emi running together?

Ok now I"m pushing it :x Sorry
Last edited by Poly on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuno

Post by Yuno »

I'm curious if I could at least get reply from one of you on this question:
Now that the game is out and the group is splitting up, would any of you as individuals consider joining another group of people to make another game? Which is to say, does anyone think they have plans to work on another game in the future with the skills they've acquired working on this one?

Unrelated: Are we free to use the characters/setting in our own media? Given that this is a first for the internet in general, I could easily see people taking on what you left off.

As a direct comment (because I assume you guys will be reading), thank you for a stupendous emotional experience. I will think about this game for many years to come.
Akroma

Post by Akroma »

I remember the blog post about the 24 hours mentioned a huge clusterfuck scene.

Well, now that I went through the whole game and no longer have to fear spoilers, may I ask what scene was the scene mentioned? I really couldn't spot anything that seemed like a huge clusterfuck

Post by Guest »

Akroma wrote:I remember the blog post about the 24 hours mentioned a huge clusterfuck scene.

Well, now that I went through the whole game and no longer have to fear spoilers, may I ask what scene was the scene mentioned? I really couldn't spot anything that seemed like a huge clusterfuck
Maybe it was the anal scene
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

njaanon wrote:
Just the right person, I would like to ask whether you intended Rin to have (serious) psychological issues. Many other people find the writing for Rin's route to be inspiring, amazing, and among such. However, the way she speaks, thinks and acts only seem to underlie some deep problems. You could say she has a creative free mind, unbounded by the constraints of language, and only portrayable through abstract art; Or you could say she has dissociation from reality, inability to form coherent thoughts and major mood instability. I also wrote about this in my other post, but this issue made me really really uncomfortable.

Loved the game though, Emi's route encouraged me to start exercising again. Thanks for making the game.
I think this is best left mostly unanswered, and let everyone draw their conclusions of Rin's character by themselves. I can say that I didn't have anything really specific in mind, but of course it's rather obvious that her mind works somewhat differently from other people and occasionally she is troubled by it.

Post by Guest »

Why did you make Emi a slut?

Was it agreed upon by everyone or just a decision that the route author made and went along with?